Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Woodworking Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by $100T2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That and a 2 stage reduces your flow and that is only 4" and your dust collector will have the main 6", so you will have even more reduced air flow. Something to think about.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Thickness planers will fill your bags like someone inflated an emergency raft. One second it's empty, the other it's full. That thing is meant to fill a garbage can and be really easy to empty. If you get it, get it after the cyclone... put put it before cyclone in your dust extraction conduit. Use that to let the big shit be easy to empty, and the cyclone to save your filter on your extractor.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Exactly.

You are now drawing a vacuum on the volume of your line, but also the volume of the can it's on, as well as the huge drag it introduces... which kills air velocity.

If you can, use smooth lines for your hoses... not that cheap dryer vent looking crap... it makes a HUGE difference. I ran my whole shop with PVC pipe. The only flex hose is between the blower and the separator/filter.

Stay away from 90° bends... keep them gradual.

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From what i have read 2 45's are better, not so abrupt change in direction of air flow.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... if you "nudge" the direction of the air, it maintains velocity much better... a 90° bend is basically slamming the air into a wall and then pulling it into another, new direction.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I should have known... Matthias to the rescue...

7. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I was planning on gradual bends, even to the point of heating sections of pipe into curves.

Any of you do anything with lathes? My shopsmith can function as a lathe and I'm dying to try it. Watching wood turning videos on youtube makes it look so easy.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a really nice one that i haven't really used at all. Fucking house taking up all my time. I need a low speed 8" grinder to sharpen my tools first thou. I am so jealous of all of you actually doing wood working.

9. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only woodworking I'm doing in the next week is framing walls for my workshop. I have a shitload of tools sitting around doing nothing until the workshop is finished.

10. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you have any tools for turning yet?

11. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, when I bought the shopsmith from my wife's uncle, it came with turning tools. I am planning on dedicating it to lathe/horizontal bore duty as I already have a drill press and want to buy a cabinet saw.

I want to make this:

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

When my dad died I was given his Shopsmith, but really, I just have no desire to do any turning. Not sure why that is, really.

Current project is an enclosed server rack for all of my computer gear in my office. It's basically a wood cabinet, with temp-controlled fans, filtered air flow, sound suppression, remote control Hue light strip, and a security glass front door. It's basically going to hold all of my drives, routers, switches, and smaller computers that I use for torrenting. It's designed to sit on wheels and will fit right under my desk.

Once that's done, I can then relocate all my gear out of the office, and then rip the office up.

Here's the temp setup in the family room in front of the fireplace... it doesn't suck, at least not yet.

desk.jpg

13. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, something about turning seems relaxing to me. Won't know til I try it though.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Today was a good day...

I pulled the trigger on a new table saw. Nothing fancy, just the Ridgid cast iron 13 amp unit from Home Depot. It was on sale, and had free delivery (which was a bonus given the shit weather we're having), so it was pretty attractive. It was about half the price of the next level saw (a King, Laguna, Craftex entry level "cabinet" saw), but as much as I was tempted, I just couldn't really justify it. I'm sure that this saw will be more of a saw than I will be able to take advantage of.

It replaces the portable Ridgid contract saw I have been using up until now.

A huge update I'm really happy for is the proper 4" dust collection... until now, my current saw throws a ton of sawdust everywhere despite my best efforts... it just wasn't designed for anything more than a shop-vac and outside use.

Almost got it assembled tonight, but it won't be running until tomorrow.

15. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You’ll love it, I have the same saw.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just got it up and running and you’re right.

Night and day difference compared to my last saw.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm years away from actually having a shop of my own, but I know that if I buy a Saw Stop, I'll never trigger it, but if I buy anything else, I'll cut my finger off and curse myself for not buying a Saw Stop.

#457 Aetius, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You'll have bigger problems if you buy a shitty off-brand like Stop Saw.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No idea what you're talking about. What do you mean edited my post after the fact?

20. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded