Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Woodworking Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by $100T2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

A while ago I started to help an ex-employee make himself a bed frame. He was a new employee that we'd hired in from England, and I offered to help him build it as he had no furniture, and he was looking to build something himself.

It took about 3-4 weekends, but a couple of weeks ago we finished it and it was delivered.

Whole thing is custom made out of cedar, and I'm pretty impressed with how it turned out.

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg IMG_3715.jpg IMG_3718.jpg IMG_3722.jpg IMG_3721.jpg

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So jealous, when we bought our new house and moved in 2 months ago, I was supposed to start setting up my shop. Took the bottom floor(1250sq.ft.) 250 was going to a storeroom/pantry and the rest for my shop. But the house had other ideas mold/rot/structural(not something i have to fix, just want to, load baring walls are not on top of each other so there is a 3/8-1/2 inch dip over 3ft)/drainage(a lot more extensive then i originally thought).

3. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well now I know what it sounds like when a bandsaw blade starts coming apart. You can see where I was at when the weld finally snapped as I was cutting a chunk off the right side here. There was no blood loss or machine damage so it was a good lesson.

[​IMG]

I also learned that the saw shop adjacent to the huge lumber yard in my neighborhood carries 1/4" blades and can make me a replacement 10-tooth blade for less than $20, so I could be up and running tomorrow at the latest. Very excited about that since I've got more of these to cut out and quickly finish before the weekend. I find the most detailed state outline image on Google, scale it down to print on letter sized paper, and just tape the outline on and fire up the saw. They're about 10 inches tall for scale, fun projects and good practice doing detail work for me. This is cherry wood with a clear gloss lacquer finish.

[​IMG]

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Got a new 1/4" blade just days after the old one broke, it is pretty nice having a saw shop in the neighborhood. Obviously the only thing to do next was break it in.

[​IMG]

I tried making spoons for the first time too, started by carving the bowl part with a deep gouge followed by cutting the profiles with the bandsaw and then smoothed over with a rasp and sandpaper. I tried three different shapes/sizes. They are rough but we'll still call them a success.

[​IMG]

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not sure if you've seen Jimmy Diresta make a spoon... interesting process he has.

6. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Building a dining room table and fuck.... I really need a real planer. I have a small hand held but it's not wide enough. Next purchase is a 13" wide planer.

7. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They are key when it comes to that, I've built three without one and it's sucks. I'll be getting a lunchbox planer this year. If you have a router you can plane the tops smooth if you build a sled for it.

8. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Still need to poly the top and do some more painting on the base. You can see the old table this is replacing to the side.

20161230_174628_resized.jpg

10. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just bought a biscuit joiner... Shit is getting real over here.

11. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welcome to the addiction, I just picked up the Rigid mini router this week, a planer and biscuit joiner are on the list for this year.

I'd love a Domino instead but damn if they are expensive.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep. I bit the bullet for the Domino with huge reservations, but I'va had zero regrets.

13. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This workbench is cool, but I really like this guy's shop:

14. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jays miter station is insane, the amount of storage is crazy.

15. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, he has videos on how he built it. When I build my workshop, I want to do something similar.

That Kreg machine he has is awesome too!!

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As much as it sucks to have to have moved my shop I'm really looking forward building shop V3.0 with all I've learned so far.

17. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whatever you do, don't watch that Jay guy... I'm already planning a miter saw station with drawers and a Paulk table from watching him.

Post pics as you go Nett, it should be fun to watch.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I had built out a similar thing to what he has, kind of 2/3 of the way there... I had to give all that away to a neighbour when I moved. He seemed appreciative of it.

I will be building out a whole new shop with some proper cabinets. I've just inherited by dad's purpose-built shop space. He put a $60k addition on the house about 8 years ago that I'm setting up. Looking forward to it.

For now I'm just concentrating on work and prepping for the African safari my mom and I are going on next month, but when I get back I'll be setting the shop up, then using it to build out a custom office.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I'm understanding the joinery right, this table top has a legitimate risk of splitting.

20. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why is that?