Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Witcher

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by bewildered, Dec 28, 2019.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Anyone else watch the Witcher?

I enjoyed it. The fantasy universe was very unfamiliar to me but it was fun watching the storyline unfold and figure out how their world "works." The story was a little confusing in spots due to the storyline jumping around to different times to give background. The costumes and aesthetics were neat, and Geralt was total eye candy. I've heard there have been some fixes behind the scenes so next season will be even better.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep, I watched and enjoyed it.

There are some rough spots that could have been done better, with the biggest one being the confusing and non-obvious time shifting they were doing (no longer an issue as all characters are now caught up and together), but overall I'd say it was a pretty solid first season.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

7/10.

I don’t like how the magic is basically never explained. I prefer sword over sorcery in fantasy (The sword fights are badass in this) and none of Geralt’s “powers” are educated to the newcomers of this series (I’ve never touched the books or video games), save for characters who do things like come to slow realizations that they can easily wipe out an entire army with their mind.

....that aside, the production and level of work involved is VERY impressive. Cavill is excellent playing the most brooding character in the history of everything (he quit being Superman for this role), and Yennefer is out-of-this-world hot. My GOD where did she come from.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think they did really well for a first season, and am optimistic that they will get better as they go.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s VERY well done. Despite being not a big D&D-style fantasy fan I binged it straight and thought it was solid fun. Rarely a show peaks in its first season, anyways. They manage to make something as played-out in film as sword fighting and add a level of creativity and editing to them like awesome like I’ve never seen before, the market fight and duel that climaxed the pilot episode is an absolute knockout.

The show is a huge hit, so they are funnelling money into the creativity and production team. And when Netflix funnels money, they make it rain.

6. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've played the game and the time jumps happen a bi, the universe is decent sized and I'd hazard a guess that Geralts magic may get explained further into the series. I was pretty happy with how everything turned out, I haven't read the books but the game is by far one of the best RPG I have played.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I haven't read the books or played the series but read that the unexplained time jumps happen like that in the books.

I am ok with the magic of the world being mostly unexplained and figured out by the viewer as the story progresses. If it were all spoon fed to me I'd be more bored. This keeps me watching for all the details.

Casting was really well done. I hadn't seen the actor playing geralt in anything else though I have heard of the other shows he was cast in. After googling him he just looks wrong with anything but long white hair. He is just fine. Fiiiine. Momma likes.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I had nothing against the time jumping, it was more that I didn’t pick up on it as quickly as I could have. They may have done it a bit better for those of us who weren’t expecting it in the first place.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We just put it on to give it a try. I'm having a hard time getting g into it, but based on you guys' reviews I haven't turned it off yet

10. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m just about through Season 1 of The Witcher. I played and liked the game, and I think the show is very well done.

Bewildered, Henry Cavill is the most recent Superman. He is perfect as the Witcher.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The first episode didn't hook me but I'm glad you're giving it more time. It's worth it.

It's good to hear someone's opinion on that who has the reference point of the game and has seen the actor in something else. I saw some interviews with him and all I could think was that the writers of the Witcher did a great job writing and he did a great job executing the material. He comes across as older and wiser, weathered, and brooding. Plus he nails the "look." In interviews he seems so damned young and his personality is way different, more Hollywood charming, if that makes any sense. He's a good actor.

12. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We're one Episode 3 and it hooked us. The sex scene got a little awkward with a 17 and 15 year old in the room, but I'm sure they've seen it all by now.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

There's more of that to come so be warned...

Geralt is uh, very active.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He really knows how to deliver apple juice. Just sayin.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That was my favourite line of the entire season, given Cavill’s delivery and the surrounding scenery. Fucking Apple Juice.

I just hope there’s more like episodes like number three. The Striga is the ultimate example of why practical effects are so much effective than CGI, what an utterly terrifying creation that is.

16. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just finished the last episode. . . The second season can’t come soon enough.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Now that I’ve watched it a couple more times I like it WAY more. I can figure out the confusing timeline (which is hard since Geralt and Yennefer both are around 100 years old and can’t age) and the characters, mythology etc. Definitely Cavill is the best thing in the show, what an awesome character to play.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Seems like enough folks have watched and want to chat about it so it deserves its own thread.

19. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm starting to get the jist of it a little more although there's still a couple things I'm not quite sure of.

Oh and Yennefer was still had a pretty hot bod for a hunchback, just sayin.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

the show definitely cracked me up a few times. I didn’t expect it to have ANY humour, much less good timing with it.