Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Witcher season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

December 17.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I actually just googled when the next season comes out this morning. I just love this universe so much and am beyond stoked for the return. I finished up the final book recently and am so sad. Need more Witcher in my life!

Anyone else equally obsessed?

3. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

*raises hand*

Okay, not obsessed enough to read the books but yes. Looking forward to it. Things I hope:

- That there will be the same or more of Henry Cavill
    - That they upped the production budget. Hopefully big-time. The first season suffered from set design that came awfully close to, "The background extras can be seen with Starbucks cups wearing Air Jordans." It felt handicapped due to set design budget constraints
    - I wouldn't mind them not playing around with time as much. True Detective Season 1 did it brilliantly; Westworld did it as a cheap plot ploy to create a "ta-DAH!" moment and made the show unnecessarily confusing. I wouldn't mind linear story telling here, just because the circular one doesn't serve the plot too much.

But, yeah. Henry Godamned Cavill.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I agree with you about costuming needing an upgrade. Some of their armor looked like painted plastic. Yennefer had some cool gowns though.

Cavill does a great job in this role. His attitude is spot on, the choreographed sword fighting is beautiful to watch. My only compliant is that based on the books he is a bit beefier and better looking than I imagined Geralt to be, but it's such a petty thing to even notice. He is rocking this role.

I'm excited to see more of Jasiker too. The writers pegged his smart mouth getting him into trouble thing. His voice and lute playing is wonderful.

I saw the show first which sparked interest, then read the books, then played Witcher 3. The books are simply amazing and the show can't touch on everything, so the show is like a sample to whet the appetite. The series is a real page turner. Give em a try if you have a little time.

5. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We never finished the first season. Mostly because the boys always seemed to come into the room right when Yennefer was getting the D, but also it was kinda confusing. I think we'll give it another shot when the snow starts flying. Perhaps reading the books will help, who knows.

Definitely has the attitude, which I often found amusing.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://www.witchernetflix.com/en-gb

It was confusing because they jumped the timeline around all over the place without any indication of WTF was going on. The above link takes you to a webpage the helps with the time line. It has a slider for events that you can move and it will tell you what episode it was.

edit: All they had to do was put a year at the bottom of the screen every time they time jumped.

#6 wexton, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Here we go.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Cavill won't be playing Geralt anymore. I think he had a bad injury plus some complaints about the direction of the show.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Welp, there goes that show.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yep.

I heard Matt Bomer is the replacement. He's a good actor but I don't know about this role and how much they will deviate from the books to make him work.

Gonna miss the swordplay scenes with Cavill.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Oh. My. They released the whole season at once.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Indeed.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I don't know why I was under the impression that they would be releasing it over time.

The first episode was fantastic. Production value seemed a little better. Ciri looked different from last season, more makeup but older too.

It's kind of neat how they wind familiar stories from the books with the new.

Gonna try super hard not to binge this.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The actress playing Ciri was sixteen when they started the first season. They definitely want her to age and evolve along with the series.

This is a show that has the difficult task of pleasing both its book fans AND its video games, and does both. Let’s face it though, Cavill is the large percentage of why it’s good.

17. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Ciri definitely has to age, from little girl to teenager to young woman. But, I mean it was a pretty obvious jump. Ciri and Geralt found each other in the woods and she's a girl, then in this episode she looks like a teen. I think the makeup makes her look older too. She was more fresh faced in the first season.

None of these things are really complaints, more observations than anything.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Episode one was fucking fantastic. It had all the best elements of season one in it.

The music score is so gorgeous. They don’t use classical orchestra music enough anymore.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

So, I binged it.

I don't mind that the writers are taking elements of the series and creating their own story. The set and shots are beautiful and the orchestral music is great throughout.

This second season feels more like a drama with elements of adventure and action. There is one episode that covers the beast in the manor with the bruxa story, and that was fun to watch. I wish more episodes were along those lines.

Ciri and Yennefer are both a lot less confident than I feel they should be. Ciri is spunky and hardheaded but her demeanor is overall unsure. I don't know if that's a writing thing or an actress thing I guess Yen could be less confident this season due to the loss of her magic. We'll see if her attitude returns to the powerful, confident, proud vibe she had before.

Caville is absolutely carrying this show with his charisma. It wouldn't be half as watchable without him leading.

20. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah it was good, I enjoyed the season.