Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Wall

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That, good sir, is music to my ears. If TBB is the weakest episode, but still managed to be that entertaining, then the rest are something I'm really hyped for. (Are we still using 'hyped'? I can't keep up with you crazy kids and your bippity-boppity street slang.)

2. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The new season of The Americans debuted this week. If you're not watching this show, you should be. Also, Suits returns on Thursday 3/6.

3. Aristotle

Aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Vikings is back :)

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New TV show on fox, so you know it will be cancelled. Fuck fox.

But this looks interesting. Gotham, the tag line is, before penguin, before catwoman, before riddler, before poison ivy, before batman, there was GOTHAM.

#104 wexton, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Black Mirror just did a Christmas special, as the brits are fond of doing. Very very good, and has Don Draper.

6. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anyone here watched Z Nation from the SyFy(sp?) channel? It is hilariously bad…like Sharkanado bad. I was bored last night and decided to give it a whirl, so glad I did. In one night I giggled my way through seven episodes.

Now, Walking Dead is high theatre compared to this, so take my recommendation for what it's worth. But if you like bad B and C rated zombie flicks, then this is for you.

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just binge watched Daredevil. This didn't feel like a comic book until the last episode and was a mixed bag. It was overly drawn out and could have been seven engaging episodes rather than thirteen.

This was "Marvel produces 'The Wire'", and somehow less colorful with way too many plot holes. The way I saw it, this tried too hard to be realistic and ambiguous, instead of fun and dazzling. I will also say that this must have been intended for a bunch of ten-year olds, because despite the brutal beatings, blood and mild cursing...it was sexless. Granted no one wants to see Foggy getting froggy, but....Rosario Dawson and Woll are both smoking hot. Even the potential triangle between Murdock, Foggy and Karen was lame. And NO other comic characters, not even Elektra (although there was a mention of a Greek woman).

Unless you want to see kingpin on a date, a bunch of uninspired martial arts fights and Deborah Ann Woll fully clothed the entire time, and three cast members massacre Spanish, I would pass. If you are desperate for a crime series or want to see Vincent D'nofrio or however it's spelled do a helluva job as a Hannibal Lecter demon baby, go for it.

EDIT: I'm reading the comics done by Bendis that supposedly inspired the show. Do this first, it would set the tone a lot better.

#108 downndirty, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  9. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

he

You summed up my feelings watching the trailer. Happy to have it confirmed but kinda sad as well. It could have been promising. With Gotham and Agents of Shield having this massive initial potential and now this, I'm wondering if the return of the super hero is dying off.

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The super hero movie? Probably not. The super hero tv show? I kind of hope so....Comics are awesome as tv shows, but the shows can't portray the spectacular elements as well as the films.

The show is cast very well. They have tons of canon to draw from and the second season will be significantly better, I think. They pulled from the most popular run done by Frank Miller (according to Wikipedia), but didn't do it in the most visually thrilling way. I imagine they will throw a lot more money at Season 2, take it less seriously and it'll be much better. Gotham needed to be dark, Daredevil really doesn't.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just ran across The Killjoys, a sci-fi space bounty hunter show that I'm actually quite enjoying.

It's no Firefly, but it doesn't suck... I'd give it about an 8/10.

Anyone else watching it?

12. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell on BBC America is awesome. Really cool story and alternative take on a period piece and a lot of notable British actors, including Eddie Marsen, who plays Terry in Ray Donovan, as one of the leads and he's fantastic.

Also, Halt and Catch Fire on AMC just ended its second season. Unfortunately I don't think it will get picked up for a 3rd cause ratings weren't great but its a fantastic show about the birth of home computing and the internet in the 80s in Texas. Critically acclaimed and the second season made HUGE strides and lead into the Silicon Valley boom in Cali. Fingers crossed they get another 10 episodes.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep, Halt and Catch Fire is great... here's hoping.

14. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The second season is the show in a different gear. Night and day. Greenwald from Grantland wrote a glowing piece about it. I think a large reason for the low ratings is people weren't all in after season 1 and missed out on its resurgence. Definitely give those episodes a chance.

15. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-2017/

Interesting. I know I will get shit for this, but I liked the new star trek up until I think it was the 4 season where they did the whole Taliban alien in space thing. And it started getting better again in season 5 but by the time it was to late.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I was in high school in the 80's. Therefore I am a child of Riggs and Murtaugh. They can do no wrong, and I yearn for the days of when I, too, am too old for this shit.

So colour me surprised when I saw Lethal Weapon, the TV show, showed up this week.

I just finished watching the pilot, and I'm conflicted.

I think they did a fairly reasonable job with the show, but I'm just not sure if I can stomach them actually trying to do the show in the first place. The Riggs character isn't the same level of crazy as only Mel Gibson can pull off, and kind of falls flat against the original, but we'll see how that goes.

I somewhat enjoyed the first episode, and will watch the second... I mean, after all, they had a TON of backstory to cover in an hour (42 min) long show...

Thoughts?

18. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's on network TV right? If so then it can't possibly live up to the films.

That's just my initial thought without seeing the pilot.

19. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Is anyone watching The Fall? Season 3 is on the BBC now.

20. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    I just binge watched Goliath on Amazon, it's definitely worth checking out. Billy Bob Thornton fits nicely in the role of former big shot lawyer turned alcoholic.