Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Wall

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's kind of amazing that all the networks and streamers passed on this except for Freevee. Amazon owns Freevee, so it's weird they didn't launch it through Prime Video, but whatever. I'll be interested to see if they can pull off a Season 2.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welcoming suggestions for TV shows that I can eventually introduce my partner to as our pre-bed wind down ritual. Important points: must be entirely funny and/or wholesome - absolutely no violence, or serious sadness/trauma that's not resolved quickly. She struggles to sleep, so she needs a show that isn't scary, upsetting or gross, otherwise her brain doesn't turn off.

The Office is a staple in our watching. We like the (admittedly terrible) first seasons of Two and a Half Men that still had Sheen. We're enjoying Ted Lasso - which is really a good model for the kind of show I'm looking for. Mostly light, funny, wholesome, and serious situations get resolved within the episode. I'm less big on them but she also likes some older sitcoms like The Nanny or The Cosby Show back before we knew what a shitbag Bill Cosby was.

We tried Parks and Rec which I liked more than she did (format was fine; she didn't like a couple of the characters), and Schitt's Creek is on deck for us to watch in the future.

Suggestions? Is Jury Duty in this realm?

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

@Binary . I have a lot of shows like this that I watch in that exact scenario. I like shows that make me laugh and are familiar and just passively watch or listen. Bobs burgers, what we do in the shadows, Seinfeld, jury duty would probably work, Futurama, king of the hill, parks and rec, Reno 911. There's probably more I could think up but that's off the top of my head.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Recommend!

Jury Duty is very wholesome and funny.

Have you seen these?
    30 Rock
    Happy Endings
    The Good Place
    Brooklyn 99
    How I Met Your Mother

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Wouldn't call it wholesome, but Arrested Development is my comfort show. At least the first 3 seasons of it, anyway.

6. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What you are looking for is named Vanderpump Rules.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My “sleep” playlists that stream to my bedside ipad are:

archer
    better off ted
    big bang theory
    king of the hill
    venture bros
    rick and morty

Basically I know them well enough that i can visualize what’s going on without watching and that helps me drift off to sleep.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for all of the recommendations. Most of the animated shows end up being too something - weird, gross, whatever. Will check some of these out, though - we don't watch a ton of TV so even really well known shows like Reno 911 or 30 Rock, I've never seen an episode of.

I snagged that show; the first episode didn't hook me and we were in the middle of some other things so I didn't get into it. I keep thinking about giving it another try, especially because The Office has such a mediocre first couple episodes/first season.

I'm squinting at this trying to decide if it's A) a surprisingly enjoyable show despite being a Housewives property, B) so inane and stupid that it just makes for ideal fodder to turn your brain off, or C) sarcasm.

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I enjoy Letterkenny. It’s generally wholesome and funny. It’s very specifically Canadian but I find that funny.

10. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s a B. It’s got ten seasons of people that couldn’t cut it as d list actor being terrible humans. You laugh at them as they drink too much and cause drama by fucking indiscretionatly.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It’s the kind of show where you either love it hate it. I didn’t get until my second try. The jokes are quick and have multiple layers, but it’s so absurdly and funny I’ve rewatched it a few times.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My comedy comfort shows are Seinfeld and King of the Hill. I wish there was a "always skip intro" feature for King of the Hill. Only thing that sucks falling to sleep to it is the intro banging out every 22 minutes. I need to stream my computer to my TV so I can watch The Simpsons.

For me comfort shows to fall asleep to are ones youve seen 10 thousand times so you don't get engage with some new storyline or plot. Star Trek TNG and DS9 are my favorites to keep on as white nose to get me back to sleep. Id recommend TNG since it's not high on the action (only some campy 90s tv fighting every now and again). Lots of positive hope for humanity in the fabric of the show. Really you should watch it straight through and then throw it in as a bedtime show on repeat. You want a straight handful of benzos Ken Burn's Civil War is my favorite all time sleepy time comfort show. Bedtime send off violin song on repeat with David McCoullough's deep timber olive oil voice narrating pans and zooms of Civil War daguerreotypes. I was sad when it went off Netflix. Ken Burn's baseball is great for this too.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I’m about half-way through season 2. It’s wild how well this guy pulls off the flip from charming/quirky to terrifying. He doesn’t even change his mannerism or anything.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Sorry, I’m old and not keeping up.

What show are we talking about?

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

“Mr. In-Between”. An Australian show on F/X than tan for three seasons. It’s available on Disney+, that I know.

16. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In regards to funny and/ or interesting but relaxing bedtime shows, I’ll add Derry Girls and the Great British Baking Show. Derry Girls is very funny without being stressful. And what is more soothing than watching Brits bake cakes, pies and bread?

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We fucking love the Great British Bake Off. We've watched nearly all of the other nationalities as well; the Great Australian Bake Off is excellent if you can get past the bad first season, and the Kiwi Bake Off is also pretty good. They also have a yearly Stand Up to Cancer version of the GBBO which is all celebrities, which isn't good baking but is funny and light-hearted.

Will look into the Derry Girls. I actually think the cast did one of the celebrity bake-offs at one point.

18. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We’ll have to check out the Australian and Kiwi versions. We’ve also watched the holiday (Christmas) mini British Baking Show s, but they feature 3-4 bakers from previous Baking Show seasons and they tend to be the people who are less talented and generally annoying.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Canadian version is tolerable, too, if you're jonesing for some extra content, but not as good as the others. We just really love the format; it's so much more pleasant with less anger and chest thumping than most of the US competition shows.

You might like Bake Off: The Professionals. It doesn't have the same feel as GBBO - it's definitely a competition show with some ruthless judging - but I thought it was good.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Been watching Arnie’s latest Netflix series, FUBAR, for the past couple of nights.

Gotta say it’s pretty entertaining.

Light and campy, a bit predictable, but it suits it.