Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Wall

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Apr 9, 2011.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yeah, I saw that. I googled her because I did not know the actress's name and got hit with just a slew of racial stuff. I don't care that she's black, I care that the acting skills she has are a poor fit for the role and tone of the show.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I am a huge fan of the classic Tom Swift books... they were right there in line with the Hardy Boys, but with a solid sci-fi bent.

So I was really looking forward to the new Swift series. Until I saw it. What a shit show.

Fucking hate it.

3. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New season of Peaky Blinders is out now. I’m surprised there’s been no advertisement for it. Unless I missed it?

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve noticed a lack of PR for a lot of Netflix stuff. Umbrella Academy season 3 is out in a few days, and you’d think they’d be trying to capitalize on the “how are you gonna address THIS” angle.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not sure if anyone is watching Tom Swift, but if you aren't, don't bother.

I had big hopes for this... it was up there with the Hardy Boys as a series of books I devoured as a kid. What could be better? A kid and his best friend and dog cruising the world in a supersonic jet that was also a major science lab?

Well, the modern take on it blows chunks.

They've turned it into some sort of African American family drama show that is fucking awful.

It's like they said "it's our chance to make Black Tony Stark."

7. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

The IDPol quotient is kind of killing a lot of the great media opportunities out there. Why bother with the <insert identity> version of <not that identity> character. We can have a variety of stories.

Outer Range was great and weird, but the sheriff felt way too much like a way to get all of your "idpol" checklist done in one shot. Big bodied, native, lesbian, married with a child, in a position of authority running for politics. I like the character just fine, but it felt like it was just "one and done". Wyoming's demos should be demanding more than that, and it would be nice(r) if they didn't stuff that all in to one character who gets lots of screen time.

8. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Obi-wan:

overall impressions- if this was a movie it would have been top 5 (IV, V, VI, Rogue One…. Somewhere in there). Definitely the best out of the three mini series. I loved that they gave Vader depth. He was a sociopath.

The last scene with his voice was just awesome. It’s hard for me to imagine that the same company that made episodes VII-IX mad this.

what I didn’t like about the ending:
    Obi wan just left him to die again. The guy that killed all the younglings. The guy that twice tried to kill him. They saw all the dead Jedi in the inquisitor temple.

how it should have ended:
    Vader prepares to kill himself so Obi doesn’t have to do the deed.
    Palpatine shows up and rescues Vader, then gets ready to kill Obi.
    Some deus ex machina happens to save Obi. Maybe the pilot of the star destroyer turns out to be a separatist and goes kamazi? Then everyone escapes.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So, there isn't a dedicated thread for The Orville (that I could find), but I have to say, I really do love that show.

Seth McFarlane has done a great job making some really high quality sci-fi... it is way, way more sophisticated than anyone was willing to give it in season 1.

Season 3 is some pretty serious shit, and I find it to be highly entertaining, with an exceptionally high production value.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That being said, there will always be the Mr. Potato Head episode that made me laugh my ass off.

11. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New show on FX/HULU called The Old Man. It has Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow. It’s a super intense and well-acted spy thriller series. Only 3 episodes have aired so far and I’m really enjoying it.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show is terrific. I've only watched the first two episodes so far.
    The actors they got to play young Bridges and young Lithgow really did their homework.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I highly recommend The Bear on Hulu. Amazing.

15. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just got around to Season 3 of After Life on Netflix. Ricky Gervais plays a character who is basically himself, whose wife died of cancer and he’s grieving and being an asshole to everybody.

It was a great show at first, but it was a season and a half longer than it needed to be. The story treads water for way too long, just so that Ricky Gervais can be an asshole to people. And each season is six episodes, so a ten episode series would’ve paid off just as well, without the filler.

16. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just finished this last night and I 1000% agree. Episode 7 was the most anxiety inducing 20 minutes of TV I can remember seeing.

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody watching season 3 of umbrella academy? I really enjoyed the first 2 season. Me and the wife stopped after the first 2 episodes to go watch Reacher, which i highly recommend. Reacher was amazing. I hope it gets picked up for more seasons. Then we went back to umbrella academy, episode 3 was a bit better. It just sucks now.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was ok, not great. Umbrella Academy has a condition that I have termed "Season 1 Syndrome." It's when a show opens with a complete banger of a first season, one that is largely self contained and could serve as a limited series on its own, and then has to try to follow that with more seasons due to the success of season 1. None ever achieve the heights of season 1 (because it's not possible) but some do better than others.

Stranger Things has been a solid B+/A- ever since their A+ first season.
    Westworld has been in the B- range.
    Heroes went to total dogshit after the first season.
    Umbrella Academy is closer to Westworld than to either Stranger Things or Heroes.

This is in comparison to shows like Dark or Game of Thrones which were intended for multiple seasons from the start, and whose narrative easily flows into subsequent seasons, some of which exceed the first.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sneaky Pete is a great example of Season 1 Syndrome. The first season was terrific. Bryan Cranston produced and wrote the pilot. It took awhile to get picked up, and Graham Yost (Justfied) was involved. CBS passed so it showed up on Amazon Prime (like 3-4 years after the pilot was shot). Adam Arkin directed, and it was sharp and tense. Season 2 was okay, but you could see the wheels coming off. Season 3 was simply boring and uninspired. I'm not sure how much Cranston was involved towards the end, but it just felt like the fire went out halfway through Season 2.

20. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea, season 2 was good. I just can't for the life of me get into season 3. Normally even if it is ok, i can watch more then one ep at a time. Season 3 umbrella academy, i am struggling to get through one episode.