Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Umbrella Academy

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by abneretta, Feb 16, 2019.

1. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

Have you watched it yet?

If the answer is no, just go ahead and watch it.

When you've finished come back here and talk to me about it.

Ellen Page is masterful, as expected. My personal favorite was Klaus, played by Robert Sheehan.

I was unaware the show was based on a comic until I was well into watching it. I enjoyed the show enough that I've purchased the comic it was based on.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was kinda meh for me.

I feel like they tried to cram too much character development into the last couple episodes.

It's not like it was some freaking shock that Ellen Page had powers. She practically had a neon sign hanging over her head saying, "THESE PILLS ARE SUPPRESSING MY POWERS." Instead of keeping up the charade, they could have spread out her character development over more episodes. But no, we were left with the impression that she was generally kind but resentful, up until we suddenly saw her murdering her nurses with a smirk on her face. That's not a "good" twist, that's the kind of thing that just feels out of place. There's a repeated statement that her powers are simply uncontrollable, but where is that actually shown? In a solitary scene where she's a little kid and breaks a handful of glasses instead of just one? And suddenly, she has a breakthrough that lets her perfectly control them?

It just felt like she conveniently turned into a sudden super villain at the end, uncaring and unfeeling despite that not being in evidence earlier in the episode.

I liked the campiness of a lot of it, I thought the caricatures (both people and environments) that they built were fun, though there were some jolting moments where they jumped tone very rapidly.

Good enough that I watched all the episodes. But it didn't have me hotly anticipating when I'd have another hour to watch an episode, nor does it have my longing for the next season.

3. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

Fair enough. At this point in my television watching career (god, I wish someone would pay me to watch tv) I don’t disagree at all.

I should admit here and now that I’m a huge fan of camp—I loved Starship Troopers before it was ironic to like Starship Troopers.

I started reading the comics after I watched the show and I really am enjoying the comics so far.

So maybe that makes me a nerd but I can’t really argue that fact.

4. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jungle Julia and I watched it over the weekend; it was entertaining, but we did find it kind of predictable:
    Ellen Page is actually the most powerful member? No way!

The guy who suddenly takes an interest in her has an ulterior motive? Get out of town!

Said guy stages his beating? Mind blower.

Pogo is keeping a big secret about their dad? Well paint me green and call me Gumby.

JJ is looking forward to the next season, so J guess that means I'll be watching it, too.

Our favorite character, by far, was Klaus. He reminded us of Scott Weiland. I'll watch the next season just for more of his hijinks.

5. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One last thing I wanted to mention: Jungle Julia is a violin teacher, and she HATED every scene where Ellen Page "played" the violin.

"They aren't even trying to make it look real!" she would yell at the TV.

(Come to think of it, this is pretty much my reaction whenever anyone talks about/ does anything with cars on movies and TV.)

They could have gotten a real violinist, and cut her face out of the frame or something.