Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It's probably the domain registrar.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yeah. I googled it. I don't think Nett lives here.

Screenshot_20240105-082239.png

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All Cloudflare registrations provide a privacy service so your real address etc. are not available on the public WHOIS. It's free.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

With how many domains are registered, I would think it would be almost default to obscure that stuff, but I don't ever want to take security or privacy topics for granted.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a 2021-era HP Envy with a 2tb SSD running the operating system (windows) and a 4tb SSD for media storage.

It's not seeing the 4tb all of the sudden, and it's booting SLOW as fuck. I took the case apart and it's all there, plugged in and seemingly in good working order. Any ideas as to why this thing won't see the 4tb?

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Can you see it in Device Manager and/or Disk Management, even if it's unallocated space?

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Disk Management will tell you whether your disk is even presenting itself to the OS as a piece of hardware.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/787213/5-ways-to-open-disk-management-on-windows-10-or-11/

There are a few likely scenarios:
    • Disk is listed there, is listed as online, and has one or more partitions listed as Healthy. In this case it might either be that your disk is not allocated a drive letter, or is sharing a drive letter with something else. You can right click on the partition and select Change Drive Letter and Paths to change that.
    • Disk is listed and is either not online or does not have healthy partitions. Your disk is experiencing problems. You can right click to bring it online if it's offline and see if that resolves it, but in all likelihood you're going to experience some data loss. Hope you have backups.
    • Disk is not listed. In this case you should reboot into your computer's BIOS - you will need to look up that procedure for your given computer but it should be straightforward. Navigate around until you can find where your system shows you the attached storage devices and see if it's listed there. If not, you will probably have to fiddle with cables and ports to see if one of them is bad (if you're comfortable, you can move the drive's cable to a different open port inside, or if you have a DVD/Blu-Ray drive you can temporarily swap things from that drive to your hard drive).
    Common BIOS entry processes:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/783790/how-to-enter-the-bios-on-windows-10/

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Disk isn't listed.

Went through BIOS and checked for it. Nada.

Checked cables and connections and it all looks good as far as I can tell.

I'm going to take it out, throw it in a hard drive enclosure and see if it does anything.

Am I correct in assuming it's not likely to be a Windows update issue if the actual hardware doesn't see it?

My fear is something updated or changed, and now 6tb is just too much for the little fucker to sift through. This computer is almost exactly 2 years old, and at $1500, I'm not keen on replacing it right now.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It's almost certainly not a Windows Update issue.

Have you tried connecting it to another computer yet? That should be the next step.

And if it's only two years old, I'm assuming this is an NVMe drive and not SATA III or something?

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm wondering how a 4tb SSD just dies....

I am putting it on another machine tomorrow, as I'm missing either a cable or an enclosure. Until then, I have to get creative to jerk off, since VA requires ID to watch it.

This is intolerable.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Get ExpressVPN or similar on a tablet?

It's not out of the realm of possibility for an SSD to randomly die, flash storage can be temperamental and usually doesn't indicate obvious issues like a traditional HDD would.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

How important is the info on the drive? If need be, you can send it off to a data recovery place to pull data off the dead drive. It's not a cheap thing, but depending on the data, it's not crazy expensive either. SSDs are much easier to pull from than crashed magnetic platters. A lot of times it's just a faulty controller and the storage medium is still intact.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Because like all electronics, they are not all built or sold the same.

Same goes for USB-C cables... go look at at $12 one vs a $100 one... there are incredible technical differences between the 2, and one is most definitely better than the other.

[​IMG]

Same goes for drives. Cheap drives are sometimes engineered more simply so that the cost of mass manufacturing is much less, but in the process, parts that are "good enough" are used in a minimal functioning design. High end drives use the best, most expensive parts, and are used to build very robust and reliable controllers and other parts.

Depending on the brand and model of the drive you bought, and the price point, it could be prone to early failure, or even expected shortness of life.

It's like the difference between a Ryobi and Festool sander. One is almost disposable, the other a lifetime investment.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's not a thing.

I have 30 TB just on my home array. At work I've used storage arrays with hundreds of terabytes.

It's some hardware issue; either with the storage device or with the connectivity (e.g. bad SATA cable, bad SATA header on the motherboard).

Even good hardware goes bad sometimes.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Every piece of hardware will always fail… it’s just a matter of when.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Sorry hunny, I have a 286 with Windows 3.11 for Workgroups that still boots just fine.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It’s countdown timer is still ticking.

19. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I still had a 486 until a few years ago. Didn't have it up and running. Just hoarding shit.

20. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So...the drive in a portable enclosure still works.

My issue is the cable or connector or the (shudders) motherboard.

Hard drive replacement kit??