Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ask away. I know some stuff.

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My Chromebook is currently running OS version 112. It has never updated to 113 and now 114 is on the way. I've manually checked and it says the computer is up to date. I find this rather odd. Can updates be model specific?

It's a new model btw. It's supposed to receive updates until June 2030. So that's not the issue.

3. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nevermind, I found a link and it does vary by model. 112 is current for the model I have. I guess it comes down to hardware requirements.

4. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is there a simply usb-powered string light that I can plug into my tv, so that when the tv is on, it's backlit.

For fuck's sakes, everything on Amazon requires an app, bluetooth, connects to Google/Amazon/Apple/NASA/the proletariat.

I just want the tv to look purdy from behind.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you literally just want lighting and not proper "tv backlighting" (which could be sync'd with the picture to provide scene-appropriate color), you can search Amazon for "usb fairy lights." They're super common/cheap:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C283FR98/

Only catch is you'll have to make sure your TV's USB port is decent; lots of TVs output only the bare minimum power because they're only there to power a firmware upgrade USB drive or something.

Have you considered a tramp stamp?

6. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know more than a few people here on the board either have, or have asked about them, but Garmin has a bunch of their various watches on sale for Prime Day today/tomorrow, in case someone was waiting for a deal.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looking at getting a new 4k tv. Most places around here sell samsung. But there are 4 different lines. OLED, QLED, Neo QLED, Crystal HD. Anyone have one, and why did you choose it over the others?

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not a huge TV guy but just some comments on display technology...

OLED is generally going to be the best pure picture quality. Blacks are incredibly black and colors are very saturated - OLEDs don't have backlights, so when an OLED pixel is displaying black, it's actually off. However, OLEDs can suffer from burn-in, so they may not be the best choice if you either leave certain channels on a lot or if you want your TV to last 15 years. Also they're dimmer so they may suffer in extremeny bright rooms.

QLED is pretty much just normal LEDs with some fancier tech.

Neo QLED are mini-LEDs. These will be better than QLED because mini-LEDs can turn off their individual backlights, but since they are still backlit they will still likely not be quite as good as the best OLEDs. But they will be brighter and have no burn-in.

I have no idea what Crystal HD is, sounds like branding bullshit.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

TV’s with medical healing properties?

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It's UHD for the poors who can't afford QLED.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The new Microsoft agreement says,
    That doesn't seem like "my content." What are they trying to protect here?

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The interaction with (and subsequent output from) AI services can be personal. If I ask Bing to help me understand the interactions between my herpes medication and my crabs medication, it's probably good if that output isn't considered Microsoft's property to share.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Totally agree! Thank you! I was misreading the notice in that part, as if it was implying it wasn't protected as private, due to being generated by AI.

Also, sorry about your herpes and crabs.

14. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

You can run a fairly reasonably trained LLM locally on your Apple silicon machine provided it has a sufficiently large hard disk. You can further keep it away from the spais by just air gapping that PC from the internet.

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My inlaws want to start digitizing all there old photo's. Does anyone have one that they want to recommend?

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Send them off to a professional service... worth every penny. If they try it themselves and don't know what they are doing it'll turn out shitty. Ask me how I know.

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It definitely depends on the quantity and the budget. As Nett said, a professional service is often worth the price; there's a lot more than just stuffing a photo into a scanner and hitting go. Scanning slides? Negatives? Does this stuff need to be cleaned? Color corrected? Are you willing to rotate every photo that got put in slightly crooked? Crop everything? Are you aware of things like JPG compression and color space? It's a pain.

My partner did this for her dad and it was so. many. hours. of work, and even at that there were things we didn't know in the beginning, so lots of the slides have a stray hair or some dirt on them.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Co-sign. We have a local shop that used to be the place for cameras and gear, passport photos, developing slides, good film and all that jazz. One thing they transitioned to in the digital age was converting old photos and putting them on CD/DVD/flash drive. Much cheaper than expected.

19. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm curious what this runs, on like an order of magnitude. My mom's got probably 3-4 shoe boxes full of pics, and this would be an incredible gift this year.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Dad had 4 shoe boxes full of old slides. He tried a slide scanner but it sucked ass as it came out way too grainy and dusty. (Probably operator error).

He then set up an assembly process where he set up his slide projector and screen in his dark office... would show the slide, then take a pic of it with his DSLR on a tripod, then import the digital pic.

It sucked.

I then paid for a shoe box to be done as a Christmas gift one year... wrapped up the box of slides with the DVD of digitized versions, and it was night and day. The quality was astounding, and we're talking 1970's slides.

He then took the remaining 3 shoe boxes out to get professionally done.