Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well i got the router and with the wifi extenders. The router works fucking great. The firmware sucks balls. For how much it costs i would of expected alot more. No firewall control options, No VPN option. No web configuration..... I kind of regret it.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Don’t remember you mentioning those requirements.

What you want is to incorporate the Unifi Security Gateway.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-security-gateway

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The downside of moving into the realm of some of this enthusiast/pro gear is that it becomes more specialized. In order to be fast and robust (and to provide increased flexibility), stuff often gets more specialized: have one job, do it well.

If you need an all-in-one box, the Unifi stuff probably isn't going to tick all the boxes for you.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I updated Windows on Friday, and Chrome has been flat out geriatric since. Anyone else having this issue?

I checked my extensions, and aside from 3 different adblockers, nothing really seemed too cumbersome. Ran disk cleanup for shiggles, and did a quick virus scan, all came up zeroes. Deleted my history, and that did nothing to speed things up.

Kind of weird, especially on two different internet connections.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I had this problem about a year ago. It’s fairly well-known. I had to completely uninstall and remove any shred of Chrome from my computer and reinstall it fresh. I usually download it from ninite.com, or at least I used to.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So Google Play Music has been shut down and they are letting you download all the mp3s you uploaded to it as large zip files. My brother and I had hundred gigs or so of mp3s. We unzipped them and a good portion of them were converted to spreadsheet csv files? This normal or did we unzip then incorrectly? Converter for this?

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Definitely not normal, can you give more details?

Do the files have a "csv" extension? What is their size - is it about the size of an MP3 file? If yes, what happens if you rename it to .mp3 and try to play it?

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I figured it out. I guess Google Play Music's format saved the mp3s as mp3s but all of the album info, pictures, and track list you made were separated and made into csv files for what ever reason. So there are multiple csv's for each song plus the mp3s making the file view a mess on my laptop. Reorganized by file type and it looks like they are all there. What are the good mp3 players these days?

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use Phonograph. I used to like BlackPlayer. There aren't any great ones, imo but I think Phonograph is fine.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think a lot of people would appreciate that... at least all the time/effort you went into grouping/sorting/making playlists isn't lost, and may potentially be imported into another app. I'd much rather they give you that data in a simple format like that than not at all.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need a replacement for my current laptop (i7, 16gb Ram, 256gb ssd w/2tb SATA HD). I want a 17" screen because I'm a size queen and would be cool with an even bigger one.

What's the best place to buy something like this? I can deal with lower specs on ram/hd and upgrade them myself, but fuck a duck Dell and Lenovo are expensive as hell these days.

Anything I'm missing out on? I've checked dealnews and Ebay, but I do not want to be a grand into a computer that's not water/bulletproof.

Any suggestions?

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A 17" laptop with an i7 for less than $1000? Good luck.

First off, 17" laptops are often aimed at the enthusiast/professional market segment, so you're already going to be into the higher quality machines with good components. A decent quality 17" laptop screen is already adding a chunk of change to your build. That's not to say there aren't cheaper 17" laptops, but you're limiting your options and a chunk of those options are going to be expensive by nature.

When you also add an i7 to the build, you're reinforcing the above: taking two enthusiast options and putting them in the same laptop but basically saying, "cheap out on everything else." You're asking for a car with a sport-tuned suspension and a V6 but in the market segment of a Geo Metro. It's not that you couldn't build something like that. It's just that not very many people are asking for it.

HP and Acer both make some cheaper 17" laptops with i5 CPUs. The penalty is going to be that they are big and heavy with mediocre resolution and much poorer battery life. If you really want the big screen in a cheap laptop, that's probably the way to go. E.g.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-17-...y-256gb-ssd-jet-black/6407696.p?skuId=6407696
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-n...gb-ssd-obsidian-black/6413248.p?skuId=6413248

If it were me, I'd stick in the ~15" class unless you were willing to shell out some bucks.

14. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

It's a really good router, and it's the one I'm using currently. One issue is that it's notoriously bad for playing nice with a PiHole. You have to go through two different interfaces to configure the DNS stuff, and even after doing that, the router can be "clever" and shoot you through whatever it wants anyways. It might also just not think there is an internet connection for *reasons*.

They focused on consumer design though. It's the bedside clock in the bedroom because it's an attractive piece of kit, tells you time, weather, and day of the week. Also let's you know when your net is fucked.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I'm also a huge fan of Ubiquiti. I have a Cloud Key and access points instead of a traditional router, but I really like the hardware and management console. It's very easy to use and has great connectivity.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is an automotive / cell phone question, so I guess it goes here. I'm having trouble finding an answer on teh Google.

Android 8
    Native Messaging app (Google)
    Uconnect in the vehicle (2021 version)

If someone sends me a text message from an iPhone, or an Android SMS, I can see it displayed on Uconnect screen. If it's old, I can see it in the list, have it read aloud, etc. If it comes in while I'm driving, it will display on screen, or if I have DND on, it shows as "missed" and will auto reply to the sender with my "I'm driving" message.

But, if someone sends me a Chat message (the default for similar phones or Chat-enabled messaging), then nothing shows up. No notice, no indication in the list it even came in. (My phone will make a tone or vibrate, but Uconnect does nothing whatsoever.)

I'm trying to avoid having a phone mount in my new car and trying to keep the phone put away while driving. (I can use the Android Auto app to display the GPS on Uconnect, and phone calls, Audio books, etc are fine, so I don't need to see my phone screen for anything)

Two questions:
    - does anybody know of a way to make Chat messages show up?
    - I can "disable" Chat features on my phone, which I don't care anything about, but when I go to toggle the Chat features off, I get a message that reads:
    "Turn off Chat features? You'll be removed from any groups that use Chat features." The Chat messages that don't show up are not group chats. They're just one-on-one messages. Does being removed mean that message history will be deleted? I don't care if I turn off Chat features, but I don't want to lose that message chain.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

just got a new phone and went to log onto the idiot board. Well i went theidiotboard.com and all the happened was a white page with very tiny text that said nettdata.com. But when i went www.theidiotboard.com it worked. Any reason?

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Hmmm... I probably fucked up a server config. I'll see if I can't check it this weekend. For now, just go to www.theidiotboard.com. Or be really... REALLY... bored at nettdata.com, as it doesn't do fuck all.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nett knows a lot of things.

But he don't seem to know Apache configs.