Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Kubla Kahn is it possible that an extension was installed which is causing this?

Click the 3 dots > settings > click Extensions. Disable everything and see if the problem goes away. If it does, figure out which one is causing the problem - re enable them one at a time. Delete that extension.

Frankly, I'm not sure how much I'd trust my passwords if this has been going on for a while. I would recommend switching away from the Chrome password manager to something like LastPass or Bitwarden (I am using Bitwarden now and like it). At the very least, once you get rid of this problem, change the passwords for your major accounts like your email/financials.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the suggestions, turning off then ad blocker extension stopped the issue so it must have been that. Im conflicted so far if I want to even delete and reinstall it. Ive run without it now for a few days and honestly the added pop up ads and in window ad panes are less annoying than having to temporally whitelist every fucking site I click on.

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What ad blocker extension was it?

Switch to uBlock Origin.

Also. Take what I said seriously about your passwords. An ad blocker extension is allowed to read and change every page you view, so your passwords should be considered compromised.

There is absolutely no way you should go back to the original extension. This isn't about your annoyance, it's about your data security. Unless you think your online banking information or your email is unimportant.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry I was just making an observation on ad blockers in general not this specific one or the possibility of a data breach with it. I did word that post wrong. I have deleted it. Simple web surfing seems a bit less cumbersome dealing with the in window pop ups than having the whole page stop and ask you to white list it every damn time. This is the first time in years Ive turned an ad blocker totally off.

I am absolutely changing by passwords and such. Thanks for the recommendations.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone else having serious issues with the current gen NVidia GPUs? There are multiple games that crash randomly to desktop with no error whatsoever. Its definitely some kind of resource allocation as for some reason, the games were trying to use onboard video and the cards. All drivers are updated. Cards were re-seated and reinstalled. No compatibility issues that I know of, etc.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No issues for me... i just upgraded firmware to play Doom and Halo (both warned that I needed a minimum version that I hadn't installed yet), and have played for a few hours this weekend and it worked fine.

My GPU is 3 years old now though...

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Which do you have in terms of manufacturer? EVGA? Im wondering if its a power issue. Im running a non-gold-rated power supply at 650W and maybe its too low for the 2060.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've got a 1080 of some sort, not sure of the manufacturer... I'll take a look when I boot it up tonight. But 650W should be lots unless you're doing a ton of drives or something... everything I know about the 2060 says 500 or so is plenty.

if you think it's power related, is your computer using a UPS? You might have shit power input from your house that is causing problems...

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Na nothing like that. Maybe I’ll see if there‘s other device drivers that need updating. If nothing else works, I’ll give Windows a fresh install to see what that does.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not sure what tools you have handy but if you think it's a power supply issue I'd throw it on my scope and see what's going on. (But I kind of doubt you have a scope handy for that).

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I dont have a PS tester or anything unfortunately, if thats what you're referring to. I have another, similar wattage power supply floating around somewhere so Ill swap it out and see how it goes. I'm also trying to convince myself to upgrade my rig in general, as I built it almost 5 years ago (sans the GPU and HDD) so at some point I may just say, "fuck it." Built an awesome AMD-based one for my parents a few months ago so my dad could run his HAM radio what-have-you, so I might just upgrade with similar parts so I can play the new Flight Simulator game, Half-Life, etc.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... for shits and giggles I recently spec’d out a $10k killer 64-core Threadripper system with dual GPU’s. Some day...

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Man, that would the dream. I dont know even know what I would use it for. Last I checked those top-end Ryzen CPUs were around 5K a pop. Im giving myself a $1500 budget, at most. That should make it upgrade-proof for another few years.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I can "almost" (barely) justify it with the type of microservices and machine learning development stuff that I'm doing, where we need to be able to spin up a few Kubernetes nodes and go to town on them with near-Production configs locally rather than spend a shit-ton of cash to do it in the cloud.

That and games.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Interesting. Are you guys on AWS? Assuming you're already using EKS or something similar?

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Some stuff, yes... we're using ECS and EKS, but most of our banking customers do all their stuff on-prem, not in the cloud.

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My router is at least 7 years old now, and i think it is starting to fail a bit, so i am in the market for a new one. I usually aim for a higher end one, i need the through put like everyone with lots of devices connected, i play games, so i want to be able to prioritize as i see fit. What do you guys recommend?

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

A few posts back I made some recommendations to ROTN.

Ubiquiti.

Their Amplifi stuff is quite solid.

@Revengeofthenerds can fill you in on his take.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Yup, love it. This is the one I got. The extent of my technical knowledge on that stuff is either my Internet works or it doesn't. I think I know how to enter in a password. The amplifi router took me about 5 minutes to setup and I've had exactly zero issues with it. And I'm sure we run a ton more stuff than we're supposed to off just that. A few people I know who were looking for routers ended up getting the same one and they've all had zero issues that I'm aware of. Love that I can check it on my phone and prioritize stuff that way if I need to (mainly I just use it to pause my son's ipad if it's his bedtime, or to pause my wife's phone to piss her off).