Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But you changed out the keyboard? I was going to say that when you spilled a Coke in there, you didn't clean it out good enough. But, that must not be it. If there is something wrong with the keyboard, you could run this: http://www.keyboardtester.com/tester.html to check it. If there's a key that's stuck, you can disable that key with http://keytweak.software.informer.com/2.3/

Or, check:
    Settings> devices> mouse & touchpad (or mouse)> scroll inactive windows when I hover them> off (If it's only certain programs, and it thinks you wanting to scroll?)

Maybe try enabling / disabling the Scroll Lock?

If none of that works, bang on the keyboard in various places with a hammer. This won't fix anything, but it's therapeutic.

2. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't change the keyboard, but I did take the batteries out and it still did it.

Scroll Lock does not seem to affect it.

I think it's more related to the mouse system somehow. If the mouse cursor is over certain types of menus, it scrolls to the top, move the cursor off the menu, use the arrow keys and it's fine.

Edit - If I press the control key while the mouse is hovering over a menu and scrolling, it'll stop. So at least my computer is somewhat usable now

#1502 GTE, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was thinking about this... could also be a bad mouse contact in the scroll wheel. Try a different mouse, or just try unplugging your mouse completely when it start happening again.

I'd also see if there's an app that will show you the input signals that your OS is getting from your mouse and keyboard... that will tell you a lot. If there's a signal coming in from either that is causing it to do the action that you're seeing on the screen, then it's a faulty keyboard or mouse. If there isn't, then it might be a faulty OS driver, system config, etc.

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've tried a different mouse. Same.
    I pulled the battery out of the wireless mouse while it was scrolling and it continued to scroll.

Me thinks it's time to take it to a professional

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And this had no effect?

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unfortunately not.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd try uninstalling the device drivers for your mouse/keyboard and then rebooting. It will then do a fresh install when your mouse/keyboard are detected.

8. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Negative.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Only one solution then... get a Mac.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

or...

get a Linux live CD/DVD/Thum-drive and boot from it... see if the same behavior is there... if so, then it's hardware, if not, then it's software.

If it's software, I'd be tempted to nuke it from orbit and do a fresh install.

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Took my computer home over the weekend for work and realized I didn't have the ghost mouse scroll. Brought it back into work and still no self scrolling. It fixed itself! Praise baby Jesus it fixed itself!

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And, the good news is, when issues fix themselves, they NEVER come back.

13. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I am watching a youtube video on my phone it will sometimes stutters, like play for .5s, freeze, and rinse and repeat. It will only happen on one certain channel, and once it starts it will not go away. I can go to my smart TV(with wireless connection) and use the youtube app and it will not happen, I can go to my computer and it will not happen. I can go back to my phone and it will stutter. It doesn't matter if it is through wifi or through my lte connection. My phone is a S7 with everything update, it has always happened and not with just any recent update. Any ideas why?

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is your phone being bullied by high school punks? I know that can cause a stutter.