Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@GTE Rush has my opinion above, but I did want to mention that AVG completely lost my trust when they started arbitrarily inserting signature advertisements into emails. A family member suddenly had "Use AVG!" messages in their emails and that's just totally unacceptable.

Windows Defender is fine, free, lightweight, and behaves well.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Best form of anti-virus protection is a good backup. Worst case you just blow away everything and re-install from scratch, and recover your data from your backup.

I tend to do that every year or two anyway, just to get rid of the bloat that seems to accumulate, and if your computer gets taken over and locked for ransom, fuck them, because you already have a backup.

3. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, I not too long ago upgraded my phone to a newer model. Well, just yesterday I finally decided I wanted to take all my old photos and videos off my old phones SD card and transfer them on to my desktop. However, when I put the card in the reader and plugged that into the USB slot, it wasn't reading the card. I pulled the card out of my new phone and tested that just to make sure it wasn't a bad connection and that worked just fine. An initial google search is telling me that my old SD card is possibly corrupted, so I tried one of those free data recovery software things, but with no luck. Hoping one of you idiots might have another suggestion on what I might be able to try.

4. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was the SD card encrypted? Newer phones have the option to do that.

If the phone works, put the SD card back in the phone and try it there. Plug the phone into the computer and it should try to mount the drive.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What he said.

Try and download the pics via the phone, not just from the card directly.

What make and model of phone?

6. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Samsung Galaxy S5. I'll try the direct from the phone thing today.
    *Edit: So, I put the SD card back in the phone and connected it to the computer. It was able to read the files on the phone, but the SD card still isn't showing up anywhere for me to look through.

#1486 jdoogie, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  7. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So my son got a Raspberry Pi for xmas, and we finally set it up. Inspired by the stand I built for my PS4 steering wheel, I went to Harbor Freight and got another roller stand ($17 before coupon) and used it to mount the flat screen. Building a support for the keyboard and mouse. Here he is testing out the height.

Anyone know how to over clock one of these?

1522104224474539931474.jpg

#1487 $100T2, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  8. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s tricky on a Pi 3. On A Pi 2 you can do it from the config tool. On a 3 you need to edit a boot script.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192323

9. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hello idiots. I have a Windows 10 all in one computer and on certain programs, the computer will scroll down by itself. IE, if I try to change the volume on a YouTube video, it will turn the volume back down. If I click the windows button and scroll down through my apps, it will scroll back to the top. But, if I don't hover the mouse over the window and use the keyboard, it's fine. As soon as I hover the mouse over the window, it scrolls back to the top. Word docs are fine though. Websites don't scroll.

I've changed out the wireless mouse and keyboard to wired units. No change. I don't see any drivers that need updating.

Any help? All my searches have turned up with either it's the keyboard or a place trying to sell me malware stuff.

edit- also tried disabling my touch screen. No go.

Thanks!

#1489 GTE, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But you changed out the keyboard? I was going to say that when you spilled a Coke in there, you didn't clean it out good enough. But, that must not be it. If there is something wrong with the keyboard, you could run this: http://www.keyboardtester.com/tester.html to check it. If there's a key that's stuck, you can disable that key with http://keytweak.software.informer.com/2.3/

Or, check:
    Settings> devices> mouse & touchpad (or mouse)> scroll inactive windows when I hover them> off (If it's only certain programs, and it thinks you wanting to scroll?)

Maybe try enabling / disabling the Scroll Lock?

If none of that works, bang on the keyboard in various places with a hammer. This won't fix anything, but it's therapeutic.

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't change the keyboard, but I did take the batteries out and it still did it.

Scroll Lock does not seem to affect it.

I think it's more related to the mouse system somehow. If the mouse cursor is over certain types of menus, it scrolls to the top, move the cursor off the menu, use the arrow keys and it's fine.

Edit - If I press the control key while the mouse is hovering over a menu and scrolling, it'll stop. So at least my computer is somewhat usable now

#1491 GTE, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Was thinking about this... could also be a bad mouse contact in the scroll wheel. Try a different mouse, or just try unplugging your mouse completely when it start happening again.

I'd also see if there's an app that will show you the input signals that your OS is getting from your mouse and keyboard... that will tell you a lot. If there's a signal coming in from either that is causing it to do the action that you're seeing on the screen, then it's a faulty keyboard or mouse. If there isn't, then it might be a faulty OS driver, system config, etc.

13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've tried a different mouse. Same.
    I pulled the battery out of the wireless mouse while it was scrolling and it continued to scroll.

Me thinks it's time to take it to a professional

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And this had no effect?

15. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unfortunately not.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'd try uninstalling the device drivers for your mouse/keyboard and then rebooting. It will then do a fresh install when your mouse/keyboard are detected.

17. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Negative.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Only one solution then... get a Mac.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

or...

get a Linux live CD/DVD/Thum-drive and boot from it... see if the same behavior is there... if so, then it's hardware, if not, then it's software.

If it's software, I'd be tempted to nuke it from orbit and do a fresh install.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Took my computer home over the weekend for work and realized I didn't have the ghost mouse scroll. Brought it back into work and still no self scrolling. It fixed itself! Praise baby Jesus it fixed itself!