Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

HP S2031 Monitor is starting to show tracers or shadows are whatever they're called. Is this typically a monitor issue, graphics card or the VGA cable? Is there anything to fix, or do I just throw it out and get a new one? I haven't moved or connected / reconnected wires, so I wouldn't suspect that. And, I don't have another monitor handy at the moment to see if it's the card. The desktop is only a few months old, but the monitor is about 5 years old.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cables can work their way loose just due to thermal expansion and contraction... ensure that the cable ends are well seated. (There's a reason old VGA cables have the screws built into the connector).

But I highly doubt that's the problem.

"Tracers" sound like a shitty cable. You want to use a heavy (well-shielded), short cable if you can... or try and upgrade to an HDMI or DisplayPort or other digital cable.

The desktop will have a ton of options other than VGA, does your monitor? If so, go to Monoprice and find yourself a new (non-VGA) cable for $10 and give it a shot.

$0.02

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, well that's weird . . .

The desktop has HDMI and VGA out. The monitor has VGA and DVI in. My old desktop had DVI out and I was using the DVI cable. When I got the new desktop, I kept the monitor, so I had to switch to a VGA cable. It is pretty beefy and has a ferrite core on each end. Just now, I went to check the connections to make sure I didn't have an HDMI input on the monitor. All I did was tip the monitor forward, and didn't actually change anything . . . problem solved. The tracers are gone.

I meant to post this picture with the first post.
    upload_2017-12-20_10-25-57.png

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is it now.
    upload_2017-12-20_10-29-51.png

So . . . thanks?

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably a loose connection that got torqued the right way to re-connect.

Made you look! (And fixed it in the process).

You're welcome.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And this is your friend:

https://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104

7. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I have a pretty crappy old tower left over from when I bought my wife a new computer for Christmas.

I'd like to wipe it as clean as possible and use it ONLY for a MAME machine. I know when I set it to factory default it will clean up most of the stuff and be just a basic Windows 10 machine, but is there anything else I can do to it to make it as efficient as possible?

ETA: I'm ordering this to use with the MAME software. I'm also going to build a sick cabinet with seats for it.

https://shop.xgaming.com/products/x-arcade-tankstick-trackball-usb-included

#1487 $100T2, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@$100T2

I mean, if you want to use it only for MAME, I'd probably wipe it and install Linux. Stripping Windows of all its optional services really defeats the purpose of Windows.

If you'd rather not do that, your next best option is to pick a debloat PowerShell script for Windows 10. There are lots of them, which do varying levels of uninstallation.

All that said, a bone-stock install of Windows 10 with a few stupid things removed like Candy Crush is pretty efficient. Unless the tower is really old, it's probably not going to gain a whole lot by nitpicking the install to death. Linux will be the most efficient, but stock Windows is pretty good.

9. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah it's not going online or anything. Is strictly going to turn into an arcade machine for shit like Galaga and Donkey Kong Jr.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bought a new work PC a month ago and now the free McAfree anti-virus is expiring. I've used AVG in the past, are they still one of the better free anti-virus options?
    Thanks

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know squat, but over in the PC thread, from my questions that Binary answered:

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@GTE Rush has my opinion above, but I did want to mention that AVG completely lost my trust when they started arbitrarily inserting signature advertisements into emails. A family member suddenly had "Use AVG!" messages in their emails and that's just totally unacceptable.

Windows Defender is fine, free, lightweight, and behaves well.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best form of anti-virus protection is a good backup. Worst case you just blow away everything and re-install from scratch, and recover your data from your backup.

I tend to do that every year or two anyway, just to get rid of the bloat that seems to accumulate, and if your computer gets taken over and locked for ransom, fuck them, because you already have a backup.

14. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, I not too long ago upgraded my phone to a newer model. Well, just yesterday I finally decided I wanted to take all my old photos and videos off my old phones SD card and transfer them on to my desktop. However, when I put the card in the reader and plugged that into the USB slot, it wasn't reading the card. I pulled the card out of my new phone and tested that just to make sure it wasn't a bad connection and that worked just fine. An initial google search is telling me that my old SD card is possibly corrupted, so I tried one of those free data recovery software things, but with no luck. Hoping one of you idiots might have another suggestion on what I might be able to try.

15. jason1214

jason1214
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Was the SD card encrypted? Newer phones have the option to do that.

If the phone works, put the SD card back in the phone and try it there. Plug the phone into the computer and it should try to mount the drive.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What he said.

Try and download the pics via the phone, not just from the card directly.

What make and model of phone?

17. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Samsung Galaxy S5. I'll try the direct from the phone thing today.
    *Edit: So, I put the SD card back in the phone and connected it to the computer. It was able to read the files on the phone, but the SD card still isn't showing up anywhere for me to look through.

#1497 jdoogie, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  18. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So my son got a Raspberry Pi for xmas, and we finally set it up. Inspired by the stand I built for my PS4 steering wheel, I went to Harbor Freight and got another roller stand ($17 before coupon) and used it to mount the flat screen. Building a support for the keyboard and mouse. Here he is testing out the height.

Anyone know how to over clock one of these?

1522104224474539931474.jpg

#1498 $100T2, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s tricky on a Pi 3. On A Pi 2 you can do it from the config tool. On a 3 you need to edit a boot script.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192323

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hello idiots. I have a Windows 10 all in one computer and on certain programs, the computer will scroll down by itself. IE, if I try to change the volume on a YouTube video, it will turn the volume back down. If I click the windows button and scroll down through my apps, it will scroll back to the top. But, if I don't hover the mouse over the window and use the keyboard, it's fine. As soon as I hover the mouse over the window, it scrolls back to the top. Word docs are fine though. Websites don't scroll.

I've changed out the wireless mouse and keyboard to wired units. No change. I don't see any drivers that need updating.

Any help? All my searches have turned up with either it's the keyboard or a place trying to sell me malware stuff.

edit- also tried disabling my touch screen. No go.

Thanks!

#1500 GTE, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018