Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gotcha. They probably figured it would be good enough for me. Either way both of those you talked about have great reviews and look to be easy to set up so I'm hoping for an easy fix. I've had good luck with Apple products so I'm leaning that way.

2. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just as a follow up here, I went with the Apple Airport Extreme and my issue is fixed. Surprisingly easy to set up, it probably took all of five minutes and I'm running just as fast over wifi as I am plugged in.

Thanks Nett!

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice! Good to hear.

4. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

So I just bought a Sharp Ultra 4K HD smart tv. Yay! Google is turning up goose eggs on a question, though...can you add the Crave TV app to this thing or not?

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Usually, you can't add apps to a Smart TV. You could try connecting it to Wi-Fi to see if it will automatically update its firmware to add the CraveTV app, but if not, you're out of luck.

That said, usually the "smart" part of the smart TVs won't be anywhere near as good as a proper smart device like a Roku. You might well be better off just disconnecting the TV from Wi-Fi entirely, and buying a Roku (or a Chromecast if you want something cheaper, but the Roku will be nicer). The Roku will be a better overall experience than the smart TV, most times, and when it gets out of date, you discard the cheap set top box and buy a new one instead of having your thousand+ dollar TV be out of date.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My Samsung smart TV you have a big list of apps that you can install.

7. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I'll just keep the Apple TV hooked up to it.

Another question...the pre installed pictures that showed during the initial setup have insane clarity and sharpness. Netflix and cable programming do not. They're way grainier. Any reason why? If the tv is capable of that quality why is it not showing?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

4k resolution is insanely high resolution compared to normal TV or movie resolution. Most "HD" cable channels are only 1080, or 1/4 of the 4k resolution your new tv is capable of.

There are very limited 4k sources in Canada right now. See the Rogers 4k FAQ for example: http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/4ktv/427

Netflix will be limited by the resolution that the source content is provided in and constrained by the network connection you have... streaming 4k will take a TON of bandwidth even with the best of compression. If I remember correctly you need to have a 25Mbps stream for 4k compared to 5Mbps for HD. So not only does the original show need to be provided in 4k, but your internet connection needs to be able to support the speed/bandwidth required to show it. If the source isn't 4k or your bandwidth can't support it, then you'll get a much lower resolution feed and your TV will up-sample the original source as best it can to display well on the 4k monitor, but it won't be clear or crisp like actual 4k source.

You can get 4k if you connect to a computer (and use it as a big monitor) and play video games, etc., or show really high-res still pictures from a camera, or video from a 4k video recorder you took some footage with.

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Dcc001 Roku makes a 4k compatible unit (Apple does not, currently), so if you decide you really want that sweet, sweet 4k on the few sources that support it (some Netflix, YouTube, displaying photos, etc.), you could consider that.

10. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Since I appear to be on an IT tear this week....

I love almost everything about this iPhone and curses to Samsung, but Samsung did do one thing easily: emailing attachments. Anyone have any idea how to email attachments (not embed photos) from an iPhone S6 without going through iCloud? Why can't I just select from my photos folder?

11. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I'm currently studying for an auditing certification (CISA) and am using a study guide. Here's a question that appeared on my section quiz:

True or False?

I put true and got it right, but really, I don't quite understand the question. I googled what hashing is and kind of understand how it makes lookup searches faster, but don't know what that has to do with indexing or a parallel processing environment. Can someone explain to this in a dumbed down, simple manner?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/VLDBG/GUID-F023D3ED-262F-4B19-950A-D3C8F8CDB4F4.htm#VLDBG1270

I think that’s pretty well explained. Let me know if you have any questions.

13. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Exactly.

When you have data that's packed into the same drive section on the same box, or in the same table/index/partition, etc., you run into resource limitations trying to interact with the data; IO contention, etc.

If you evenly distribute them across many drives, even across many nodes, you can then run parallel operations against all of the data which spreads that resource usage out, minimizing hot spots (hot spots slow shit down).

There are technical solutions to that problem, such as crazy expensive storage, etc, but simple hashing like that is a fairly simple potential performance improvement.

It's also pretty effective at evenly distributing load across a cluster, so you don't have a single node that is crazy busy because it's got, for example, all of this month's data in it. If you spread that data out, you can better take advantage of the entire cluster's computing power.

#1454 Nettdata, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  15. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thinking of trying a Raspberry Pi kit. Has anyone done one, and which would you all recommend?

16. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Same... I have 3 of them... one of them running a media client in the shop, and 2 others as a driver for "network/application status" monitors.

I got the complete kit with the wifi dongle, case, and large memory cards... especially for the media box (where anything below 32GB is almost unusable, and 64GB works pretty well).

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to build emulator boxes and sell them. It will play anything PS1 and before ( plus some N64).

What do you want to do with it? They work really well for KODI setups. I’ve also used them to host LAMP setups to run local web pages. I wish they could run the MEAN stack. But Node doesn’t run well.

I think I’m going to make my wife a magic mirror for Christmas with one.

I also read a tutorial for how to integrate one into an old Furby with Alexa.

It is my favorite computing thing.

But it all depends on what you want to do with it.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I have two Raspberry Pis running our domain controller at work.