Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While antivirus is a given, I highly recommend using OpenDNS. We use it at my work and I have it set up for my home network. You set it up either at your router or computer level, and that's basically it. You have a dashboard where you can adjust filtering levels or whatever while keeping malware and crap from your computers. If/when you get kids, use this to regulate their internet use if they're using your connection to get online. 10/10 would OpenDNS again.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Until they learn how to set up their own DNS entry using Google's public servers or something... which is stupidly simple to do.

So yeah, it can help with phishing and blacklisting of evil sites that utilize name resolution, but don't buy into the "protect the kids" bullshit... that's some shit made up by the marketing department.

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So any of you think I have a memory problem?  DSC_0402.JPG

I don't think I have ever had a stick shit the bed this badly before

4. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know you guys aren't a support desk, and this seems like it should be simple, but something weird has happened to my internet connection.

I've got a Netgear wireless router. The last I checked (maybe a week or two ago) when I clicked o the Internet access icon in the lower right corner of my PC, the name of my network (Netgear10) would show up. Now, it shows a Network name I don't recognize (Network 3). When I click on this icon to view and connect to available networks, the Netgear 10 doesn't even show up. When I follow the breadcrumbs, it looks like I'm connecting to the internet through a LAN line through Realtek pcie gbe family controller. I have never seen this device indicated on my computer before.

Google-fu indicates that this is a network adapter on my PC. I don't get why the PC won't pick up the router (Netgear 10) all of my phones, laptops, etc. still connect to Netgear10. Have I been hijacked?

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do. Cable into the house goes into a Cablevision modem, then a cable goes out to the Netgear wireless router from the modem, and I have another cable from the Netgear into the PC. Been set up like this for 3 years. The Internet connection always showed up in the dialog box as Netgear10. Now suddenly it doesn't.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't even find the Netgear software on the PC. This makes me think something malicious occurred.

I would reinstall, but I'm afraid this will screw up my connection to my wireless devices, all of which connect to the Netgear10 network just fine. Is this fear unfounded?

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like it the device driver craped out/expired. I've dealt with this before for other hardware, so it seems like it should have been easier to figure out.

8. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need the paragraph below translated so that I can understand it. I basically need to know what software I need to do the things listed below.

Regarding software and process control, the partner will need technology to poll an FTP site for files not yet downloaded; parse XML files and use their contents for process control; read, down sample, crop, and reorient CRL and TIF raster images; compose both TIF and CRL files into 2000+ composite POD products; verify the accuracy of the composition, e.g., elements are not missing, chart elements do not overlap, color palette is correct, and overlays register correctly; communicate with, control, and verify the files set, POD product composition, and printing actions at remote print sites; make and track sales and individual customers and their purchases

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You don't have a software requirement, you have a developer requirement.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just the "verify accuracy of composition" is a scary thought... sounds very subjective, and could be impossible to automate.

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank you, both. I guess I need to start looking for a developer.

Any idea or wild ass guess how much this development would cost? Automation of the first half of that paragraph would be ideal. The files need to be kept up to date, ready to print.

I think the "verify the accuracy" thing will have to be done manually before and after printing. I'm not expecting a huge volume of prints per day.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Really, until you know what the "verify accuracy" incorporates, it would be hard to say. Assuming it's something that is simple to automate, you should be able to get a contractor to knock something out in 3-5 days, I'd guess. If shit gets complicated as they dig into it, maybe 2 weeks...

All just wild-ass-guesses without knowing anything about the details involved.

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Verifying the scale, I imagine, it can be off by only about .02%.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I have no idea what scale you're talking about or how you could verify said scale, so that's a big unknown (for me). If you can provide detailed instructions on how to automatically verify that every time, then a dev could probably code that just fine.

If it was something like "take a look at it and ensure that the colours are all correct" or something else equally as hard to automate, then you're running into some serious problems.

I'd recommend drilling down into that aspect of it to begin with and ensure that part would work... the other stuff sounds somewhat simpler.

15. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Scale, like 1inch=1mile. I check the scale manually on all the plans I print now, just to make sure I didn't screw it up. For now, manually will should be fine, like I said shouldn't be a large volume.

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some how all my wife's photo's from her cell phone just disappeared(which include lots of pictures of our 3 week old). The program I have used for photo recovery doesn't see usb drives. Could any of you recommend a program for photo/file recovery?

17. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a friend whose kids keep inadvertently installing malware. I've fixed most of it, but there is one thing I can't get off of there. What is the best uninstaller I can get for this, preferably free?

18. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On my ipad this and other forums no longer jump to the first unread post, just to the page its on. Does anyone know why? It works fine on the laptop. Its either a 1st or 2nd generation ipad that just updated, did the same thing pre and post update.

19. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I should have my set of sample files soon. Any tips for picking a good developer for this venture?

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I was really struggling how to answer that because my answer is, "let me help".

The best thing you can do is find someone technical who, while not being the person to do the job, can help you find/vet someone who will.

Also, how big is the budget?

Put together a detailed scope/description of the job you want done, and then take that document and shop it around to local dev shops. Maybe even hit up local colleges/universities, as they know who the local companies are, or might have fairly skilled students who could help pull it off.

Search for local developer meetup groups and maybe attend one and ask for their guidance.

More than anything, I think you have 2 issues; local developer knowledge, and then vetting the developer themselves.

If you do go to a local developer meetup, you'll probably find that most people are very nice and willing to help guide you through that, and will help you find and vet someone. Take your "this is the project" doc to them and get their feedback on it.

$0.02