Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Tey

Tey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm not new to formatting drives and reinstalling OS's but I've never done this variation so maybe someone can help.

My laptop originally came with two partitions. The main one has my OS on it, and the secondary was set up to be a storage drive specific for data. Somewhere down the line I wiped the data partition and installed Linux on it. I don't need Linux anymore, so I want to re-attach the additional drive to my current OS as either extended space, or its original DATA format. Either or is fine by me. I'm currently running Vista, but plan to up it to Windows 7 in a couple of weeks. I figured that was a good time to reclaim the extra space, but I don't have any experience with partitions outside of just wiping/mounting. Help guide on how to do the re-claim??

2. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Here

3. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just a bump to see if anyone has any insights on this... Thanks!

4. Tey

Tey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Haha shame on me right... It didn't occur to me that this can be done from an OS directly, or that it was OS specific. Thanks.

5. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Should be fine if it all works. If you have troubles with battery life, you could try it, but windows has a decent power manager built in for what it is worth

6. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have an external hard drive and backed up my information about 6 months ago. I plugged it in again to sync it up, but nothing happened this time. My computer recognized that something was plugged into the USB drive and it came up in My Computer as the F drive, or something like that, but I coudln't figure out how to back up all my information. I thought a window should have popped up automatically that would ask to transfer all of my files? Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

7. mobkah20

mobkah20
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Any time I try to install an add-on onto firefox I get this message : Firefox could not install the file at

https://addons.mozilla.org/downloads/fi ... ar?src=api

because: Unexpected installation error
    Review the Error Console log for more details.

I have no idea what that means, is there anyway to fix this error?

8. mastert

mastert
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm confused about something. I'm considering building a gaming computer, with Windows 7 for the OS. When I go to Microsoft to buy a copy of Windows 7, all I can see are options for upgrading to Windows 7. Is there anywhere I can get a fresh copy of Windows 7 for a new PC, or do I have to buy Vista and then pay more for the upgrade? I'm usually not this tech-retarded. Although trying to figure out which graphics card to buy makes me feel that way.

Edit: Also, if anybody is interested in looking over my components through PM to make sure its all compatible, that would be amazing. It's the first time I'm trying this, but I have some experience opening up and checking around inside both desktops and laptops.

Double edit: Never mind, I found new copies of Windows 7 through Newegg. Where I've spent the last couple of days speccing out the rest of the computer. Although if anybody knows of any sites where I can get a deal, (I'm a student), that would be pretty cool.

9. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I need help setting up a computer for torrenting. Basically, I want to take an old computer I'm no longer using and make that my torrent computer and pretty much have it on and seeding 24/7, boost my ratio, download when I need to, etc, rather than having to do it all from my laptop. Can I do this? How do I do this? Right now my current torrent set up is using Azureus on my Macbook Pro. I have a 750 GB external hard drive for the torrenting machine to hold all its stuff. What else do I need? Will I need to update the hardware of the torrent computer? It's a desktop that's maybe 4 years old with XP on it, I can get the specs tomorrow. Can someone help me set this up or point me in the direction of a guide of some sort?

edit: Just thought of something else. Will it matter that my main computer is running Mac OS, and the torrent computer would be running XP? Is that something I would need to change?

Thanks in advance

10. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was going to give you a description and such, then realized this is probably better for humanity.

In terms of hard wear, dont worry about it. Torrents have little overhead, and a 386 should run them fine. It should be super easy to set up, you might even want to venture into running linux on it.

11. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I should have posted this here instead of the help me thread. Mods, you can kill that other post if you want.

Linksys WRT-54GL

So I just bought this router off of newegg last night and heard to this day, even though it's a g router, it's still one of the best you can buy. My current situation - I have a loft with concrete floors, brick walls, 12 foot ceilings, and is completely open. However, my current router sucks more dick than a hooker on Saturday night in Atlantic City. I shouldn't have any issues with signal strength however with my current router it's horrible.

My question, I am going to put DD-WRT or Tomato on here, anyone have any preferences. Which one have you used? I'm also on taking my crappy router that I'm using now and turning it into a wireless bridge so it can bounce the signal around my condo even more. Is that even worth doing?

12. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I googled it and found a lot of technical information that I couldn't really understand. I was hoping for a more basic guide if one exists. If that's the simplest way, then I guess I'll just sack up and try and figure it out.

13. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Okay, Ill give you a quick run down of how I have my system set up. Its basic, but its all I really need.

Main computer - Runs uTorrent with the web UI enabled(windows), Java PS3 Media Server
    Laptop - Runs Firefox with a link setup to the uTorrent Web UI (read the uTorrent/Azerus help guide to get it set up)

If I want to download a file, I go to the site, copy the torrent file location and paste it to the web UI. Boom, done.
    If I want to watch/listen to it, I fire up my PS3 and look for the media server, click the file and I can watch it.

You can set up some basic network drives and access your stuff across a network at home really easily (you would have to google how to get a mac to talk with windows). Anything more than that (such as remote access to files and torrent programs across the web) I cant really help you with, but it sounds like you are not looking for that.

Shoot me a PM for anything really specific, and ill try and help you out.

14. jacobv81

jacobv81
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Can someone tell me why my computer is stupid?

I am trying to search for *.jpg files inside my movies folder with windows explorer. It refuses to find anything. "No Items Match your search". I have my movies D:\Movies\Movie name, and it doesn't matter if I do it from the parent movie folder or inside the named movie folder, looking at the .jpg with my eyes while i run the search and get no match again.

I'm wondering if it's a permissions thing or something else. I've taken ownership and granted full permission to my user name, administrators, and everyone. Still nothing doing. Thanks a lot

15. FoamyBologna

FoamyBologna
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'd appreciate some help turning a flatscreen LCD Dell monitor into a television. I've heard of the kits to make them receive cable tv and after researching I'm still a bit cloudy on how to proceed. I'm heading back to school in January and would like to not have to take an old shitty TV with me. Thanks a lot guys.

16. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're looking in a movies folder so I'm going to ask even though it's probably not the answer. .jpg files are pictures and movies are .mpg, .avi, etc. Do you have pictures in the movies folder or just movies?

17. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What inputs does the monitor currently have? Just the standard monitor hookup?

18. Bosox

Bosox
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Work just installed an OpenDNS server block which won't allow me to access my gmail account.

A: Are there any workarounds to this kind of service? I tried to download a proxy program, but all websites linking to anything of that sort are blocked.

B: What is the process to send my gmail account to my outlook program?

Thanks!

Also, they haven't found this site yet, so a hearty fuck you to internet blocking!

19. jacobv81

jacobv81
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have it where every folder has a movie and a picture in the folder. I am trying to search for all of them and rename all of them folder.jpg without having to go in to each folder and rename each one manually.

A second question. Is there a way, batch file or DOS command, to rename all subfolders contents to match the folder? I have all the folder names neat and I'm hoping I can avoid going into each folder to rename each .avi

D:\Movies\Some Movie\Some Movie 2001best movie ever dvdrip.avi
    change to just
    \Some Movie\Some Movie.avi

20. prexus

prexus
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm not sure about a DOS command, but you'd definitely be able to do it in a Python script. Probably the easiest and quickest way I can think of doing it. I'm sure you could hack something in almost every programming language to do it, too. If you need examples or help, feel free to PM me.