Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Doli

Doli
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

After a reboot, does `mount -a` mount the partition, or do you have to mount it explicitly?

Edit: Also, if it doesn't mount, does dmesg have any helpful info?

2. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I have actually had to comment out the line after a reboot because the system hangs on boot up due to it trying to mount unsuccessfully (I have no idea why it won't give up after trying and move on to the next part of the boot process). I had to pull the machine out and run a live disc in it and edit /etc/fstab to get it going -- there is no keyboard or mouse attached to the computer and the monitor is a big TV with overscan so I have to move the machine to where my windows box is. Not an easy situation.

3. Doli

Doli
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Gotcha. Because you're able to mount it explicitly, it sounds like a problem in your options field in /etc/fstab, though it's not immediately apparent to me what that is.

With that line commented out of fstab, reboot, then after the reboot, uncomment it and try `mount -a`. dmesg should provide some info about what's going on if it's not outright dumping into stderr.

4. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I recently began using Google Calendar and I love the interface and the way you can setup different colors for different calendars (these events in blue, these events in red, etc). I synced it to my Blackberry Storm thinking this would hook up my Blackberry Calendar to my Google Calendar, and it kinda did, but not the way I wanted it to. It added all the events from my Google Calendar to my Blackberry Calendar and vice versa, but what I want it is for the calendar on my phone to look like my Google Calendar, with the different colors and what not. Is there any way to do this? Right now, my phone calendar shows a dot on each day that has an event, but I want to be able to see the different colors so I can tell what's what just with a glance. I'm not sure if I describing this correctly so I hope this makes sense.

5. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

I have recently bought 2 new HP laptops - don't judge me, they were extremely cheap. They both came with OEM Vista Business installed and they're both qualifying models for the free upgrade to Windows 7.

I already have the Iso's to install Windows 7 - all I want is the legit keys for the install. I really fucking object to paying shipping and handling of $20 for the fucking DVD in the first place - when it costs them about $3 from manufacture to my grubby mitts, and even more so when neither laptop has a DVD player (I'd just rip the fucking thing to Iso if I actually needed it - but I already have the damn Iso).

Does anyone know a way for me to just get the keys in digital form from somewhere?

Yes I know I could just torrent them - but since I have paid for a bundle that no doubt includes the cost of the software already - I'd like to not have to worry about windows genuine validation when I do updates or whatever.

6. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My brother got a anti-virus(spy,firewall) program called Defender Pro (It is 2010 version, 5 in 1). You can put it on more than one computer so I was wondering if anyone can tell me good this program is before I put it on mine. I checked out some reviews of the 2009 version and was not very impressed.

7. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

There is no sensible reason to use a shitty pay product instead of Avast! or Avira if you're technically inclined. Microsoft Security Essentials is solid and all 3 are free.

I wouldn't use the Defender cd's as coasters.

8. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since nobody has answered this...

Can you see hidden files and folders? In Windows whenever you're in a window just hit Tools -> Folder Options and make sure it's on. If you still can't see anything and you're sure nothings there, you can just right click on the drive in My Computer and format it to Fat32.

Oh, you're using a Mac now. Yeah just look it up on Google, I don't have a Mac in front of me right now and I'm not sure how to get there. It should work after formatting anyway.

9. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

make sure you empty trash on the mac. deleting stuff doesn't release the space untill you emtpy trash. also make sure you have he ntfs-3g drivers installed so you can use ntfs formatted drives

10. goodfornothing

goodfornothing
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't know what thread to put this in, but I have 3 Google Voice invites if anyone wants one.

11. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

From the "Can someone help me with this thread"

What OS are you running? Are you planning on taking the computer from the house? Have you tried http://www.portforward.com?

We need some more information regarding the computer before we can help you.

12. Doli

Doli
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

It's pretty obvious, but that's often a good place to start, so don't be offended. Are you trying to forward the same port(s) to two different computers? You can only forward a single port to one IP address (generally speaking), so if it's the same application, you might need to alter the ports so you have a different port or range.

13. iRoCkHoEs

iRoCkHoEs
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Anyone with Ipod knowledge, My Ipod keeps coming up with a circle and an X in the middle I can't put it into disk mode or get my itunes to pick it up, does this mean time for a new one or is there something that can be done?

14. LM225

LM225
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Does anyone know of (preferably free) software that can capture the image of an entire web page (screengrab doesn't get anything that you have to scroll down for)? I tried Paparazzi!, and it does that, but it tries to fit the whole thing onto one page when I print. If anyone has something better, I would be in your debt.

15. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Back on RMMB, nettdata posted a "Mac Primer" in the Tech Help thread. It was some really useful information for people new to the Mac & OS X. If someone saved a copy of it, can you send it to me? I unfortunately, did not save it.

16. Sean Daley

Sean Daley
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Forewarning: I am not very tech savvy, so I can't figure out my problem on my own.

I have a lot of downloaded seasons of tv shows on my computer. I just upgraded to windows 7 the other day. Now when I watch them they are grainy and don't look as good.

Any thoughts?

17. c_norris

c_norris
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was not on the previous board, but I would be glad to write up a quick-and-dirty idiot's guide this weekend.

18. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Check to make sure your video drivers are up to date - Windows 7 Update should do this for you but it could never hurt to go to your video card manufacturer's website (either http://nvidia.com, http://ati.com, or http://intel.com dependent on the manufacturer - if you're unfamiliar do not assume you have an intel video card even if you have an intel processor; the fastest way to check is by going to Run [or the search in windows 7] and typing dxdiag. The Display tab will have your video card info)

Additionally what media player do you use? This may be exclusive to your player as I know VLC was having problems - if you use Windows Media Player or similar this is not likely the case however. Be sure that your codecs are up to date if you do use Windows Media player - I reccomend CCCP - http://www.cccp-project.net/

For some people using VLC this fix worked
    http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-sup ... ality.html
    this forum thread may help you more than I can. I'm fairly unfamiliar with the problem myself

19. Sean Daley

Sean Daley
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I was using VLC player. I tried switching it to the GDI option, but that didn't help. I uninstalled the program and downloaded it again, and now it works fine. I don't understand it, but it worked, so I'll take it.

Thanks for the help.

20. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

That would be great. He had things like best BitTorrest client, best char programs. Other stuff I'd like to see included:

* handy tricks everyone should know
    * good online mac resources (forums, etc)
    * usual tools and utility programs
    * desktop clients and servers (I'm using JollyFastVNC on the Mac to connect to my Windows & Linux desktop, but what is a good server for the Mac, or a better client)