Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. rexmundi

rexmundi
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Well you need to narrow down whats at fault... so do this. Take the 20 or 24 pin clip that goes from the PSU to the motherboard out. Plug the psu into the wall. Unbend a paper clip. Plug one end of the paper clip into the spot that has the green wire going into it. Put the other side of the paper clip into any of the spots that has a black wire coming into it. If that turns your PSU on, then the psu is good and you can move on.

Next step is to start looking at the mother board. First step is make sure that the connection that runs from the power button to the motherboard is pluged into the correct spot(check the manual). Then take out the ram and make sure that is in the correct slot. If you have multiple sticks test 1 stick of ram at a time. The machine will post without a hard drive connected, don't worry about that. Get back to me and I can help you from here if it still doesn't work.

2. hawt

hawt
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've done the power supply test on my old power supply and it passed but the company had me send it out anyways. Will it post without RAM installed? I didn't have any in before I sent out my powersupply previously and if thats why I'm going to be pissed because on the phone they said just the mother board, cpu, and power supply.

The new power supply should be in today or tomorrow so I'll try it and get back to you.

3. rexmundi

rexmundi
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

It will not "post" without ram. But the fans should turn on.. at lest with most motherboards.

4. hawt

hawt
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I see. I've been getting no fans or antyhing. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted.

5. rexmundi

rexmundi
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Yea no problem.

6. JDTheHero

JDTheHero
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have a 1GB Kingston Flash Drive and I am trying to get a .avi video to transfer to it. When I tried to do this it says I do not have enough free space, and that I am currently using 735 MB of data, but there is nothing on the flash drive as far as I can see. Weird, right?

I first used this flash drive on a PC, but have since transferred to using a macbook and an imac, so I dunno if that could be the problem. If anyone could help me format this drive so I can get the file transfered, it would earn you some rep points when the system is installed for it.

7. hawt

hawt
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I got my power supply in the mail today and it fixed it. That was weird. Thanks for your help.

8. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Why, when I'm listening to music and surfing the internet at the same time, does the song "hiccup" occasionally on a page load? Often happens on code-heavy pages like Facebook, but even on non-content-heavy pages like craigslist, etc. It's REALLY fucking annoying. Also (although maybe not related), playing .avi videos are a little jumpy, even when I don't have anything running.

(OS is vista, I've got 1gb of ram, and not much running in the background. Browser is Chrome, altho it happens with FF and IE as well)

9. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Would appreciate help from a linux guru (with a smattering of windows smarts).

I am trying to have my linux box (it is a HTPC - myth) access shared folder on my windows 7 machine. I had done this successfully on my win xp box, but blew that computer away and now have a win 7 box. I set up some folders for sharing and created a user called root on the windows box that has the same password as the root user on the linux box.

This line is my /etc/fstab:
    //192.168.1.104/Users/Gabe/Music/mp3 /music cifs users,rw,password'XXXXX',dirmode=0777,filemode=0777 0 0 (with XXXX used for the password).

I have also tried it with adding the username in the line.

When I reboot, it will not automatically mount this directory. I have to issue the mount command from the prompt and supply it with the password and then I can mount and unmount without entering the password (I believe I have to leave the password and username options out for this).

Is there some trick with Windows 7? Better yet, is there a way to share windows 7 as NFS rather than cifs?

10. Brett08

Brett08
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

If you recently deleted what used to be on the flash drive but haven't yet emptied your trash, a Mac will still show that space as occupied. This drove me crazy before I figured it out. Try emptying your trash.

If that fails, you should be able to reformat it on a Mac using Disk Utility. Just choose the drive on the left, go to the Erase tab, pick a format, and click the Erase button.

11. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is unlikely but also check to make sure the drive isn't NTFS-formatted.

12. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Sounds like it might be a RAM problem. Vista should run fine with 1gb, but it you are multi tasking, more ram is always better. Are you on a desktop or a laptop?

The video thing can be caused by this as well. But make sure you have installed the latest video drivers installed, might make a difference.

13. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

As MrPrime said above, it could be a RAM resource issue, but it could also be your virus checker. Some of them suck a lot of resources when doing a scan on a new page load. I use to run AVG Internet Security, besides the facts that it was not catching all viruses, the machine would also slow to a crawl when it was doing any sort of check. I have since moved to ESET Smart Security and it hauls ass.

14. bonzo

bonzo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm building a media server to connect to my TV so I can easily watch what I download. I'm picking a video card but can't seem to decide if I should use a cable to connect the DVI port to an HDMI port or choose a video card that has an HDMI port available.

Any suggestions?

15. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've got a DVI to HDMI chord that I bought for about $100 from Best Buy last spring that I use with my Macbook, along with a basic $3 Y-cable from the headphone jack to the RCA's on the TV.

One of the best investments I've ever made.

16. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Buy a motherboard that has HDMI built in. If it's only purpose is for a media center, there is no reason you shouldn't have gone this route to begin with.

17. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just to finish this one off. If you are really set on using a video card, there are some that cost like $60 and have HDMI on them. Dont bother with converting the cables if you can.

18. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Holy shit, please tell me that $100 is a typo. People, use monoprice to purchase all your cables (no affiliation with them). Because digital is just 1s and 0s, the signal either gets there or it doesn't*, and you don't ever need to spend big bucks on a digital cable. A search on that site, and you can get a DVI-HDMI cable for around $3.50. This is what I did to hook up a HTPC to my TV, and it works fine.

I think monster cables and their ilk are just a plan to separate people from their money. They are typically priced about 10X over what you can get on monoprice for the exact same result.

*I am simplifying it a bit, but really, you don't need to go crazy with cables.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No shit.

Besides, if you haven't got an Audio Grade Duplex Socket, you're pretty well wasting your money.

That's right, it's a $150 replacement electrical outlet.

[​IMG]

Go to that link and read the reviews... most of them are pretty funny.

20. DietCokehead

DietCokehead
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

For anyone else that has a Thinkpad running XP that has issues dropping wireless connections, check this out: http://trivialproof.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... -with.html

This is a common problem across multiple models, so don't mind that this is written about a T60p -- this is just the best entry I've found that has this all in one, easy-to-use place. The alternate solution is to just use Windows to manage wireless, but you lose out on a lot of features of Access Connections if you do. This fixed my Thinkpad, and I didn't have to spend hours with phone support to figure it out.