Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Superbowl WDT [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Feb 9, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It was a Spanish service.

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well that's just poor planning.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Shooter was Hispanic. Nothing was lost in translation that way.

4. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The broad generalizations being thrown around that “If someone complains about the focus being on Taylor Swift, they must be MAGA, misogynistic, weak,”or whatever is absurd.

Here’s my take: I’m sick of the focus being on her because I’m not tuning in to see the latest flavor of pop singer star, I’m tuning in to see a football game. And for one person other than a great running back, lineman, etc. to be the focus, THE story, to me, is absurd. I’d feel the same about it whoever it might be. Insert any celebrity into her place…It’s fucking contrived, opportunistic on the NFL’s part, and it’s tiresome.

As for Swift herself, hey, good for her. Her musics not my cup of tea but she’s out there living her dream. And from what I can see, she works hard at it, and as a musician, I respect that. I’ve seen her introducing herself to people saying, “Hi, I’m Taylor,” when everyone knows full well who she is. That impresses me.

Her boyfriend is an absolute twat, but…I digress.

My point is, why does everything have to be viewed through a political lens? We need to stop lumping opinions into Political Category A or Political Category B. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and hasn’t a thing to do Trump, Biden, right or left ( speaking of tiresome. )

5. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

John Stewart is still pretty damn good.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Funny how a single man can appear on what was possibly the single worst show on television, and make it good again.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I don't know who Trevor Noah was blowing to get that job. He's incredibly unfunny. Stewart immediately outclassed all of his old subordinates that went on to have their own shows in one episode. Glad he's back every week; could use a less bitter political comedian than Bill Maher.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I blame Stewart indirectly for how comedy took such a dive over the last 15 years, because EVERYONE wanted to accomplish what he did. And every single one of them were FUCKING AWFUL. It’s Stewart’s fault, for being so good he made them all look bad.

When The Daily Show and Colbert Report were back to back, it was the last time —ever— that America did satirical comedy correctly.

And when every other douchebag celebrity is singing “Imagine” while people lose their livelihood, Stewart was the most noble celebrity activist above any other famous asshole. He did more for 9/11 responders than the entire fucking government.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah, its not even close either. I laughed my ass off at his first show back, he didn't miss a beat. John Oliver had a moment early on where he could have taken up the mantle. But he got into some weird loop where every episode and joke are formatted the exact same way you and can easily predict his take on just about everything.

10. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She was on tv for 54 total seconds of the 4 hour broadcast. CBS spent as much time on her as it did on people washing each others feet outside of the abortion clinic.

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For one game. I'm talking all season long or whenever they became an item.

12. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You are still looking at roughly one minute per game. And only games that Kansas City played in. You are just upset that Josh Allen can’t compete with them in the play offs.

13. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not going to get into a pointless debate about it because you completely missed the point I was trying to make in my post. Which has nothing to do how my team did this year, by the way.

14. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

SHE’S STUNNING AND BRAVE, WALT.

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She looks like Napoleon Dynamite in drag and is incredibly mediocre. Which....you kind of have to be to appeal to the entire known universe of tweens and Midwestern moms.

I do not relish the idea of the NFL having a side plot about WAGs, but I think the NFL has managed to make the game superior and everything about watching it miserable.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These two folks are CONSTANTLY under a microscope of observation, being a super popular music star and a top NFL super bowl champ. They are in the 1% of 1%, not in wealth, but just in number of people that do what they do. Kelce was mic'd up the whole game, before and after. It sure seems like they're actually in love and enjoying each other's company to me
    https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1757...lor-swift-travis-kelce-post-super-bowl-convo/

but, y'all are some jaded motherfuckers. Hell, I am jaded motherfucker. But, I think it's legit. Depending on how you count tight ends, there are what 45 people in the whole world that do what he does right now, and he's in the top 5? She's been a professional songwriter for almost 20 years, transitioned through her most awkward years of teenage girl from country to pop, over 50 nominations with like 15 Grammy wins? First country artist to win an MTV video music award? I don't own any Taylor Swift albums, but she's sold a gajillion, with sold out tours all the time. I don't know. I can see if you say "that's not my style" or "I don't care for her music," but to say she's mediocre just seems like you're living on a different planet than I am.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That’s like complaining a boxer is going
    For all the public shit, it still looks way more normal than a lot of my friends' relationships.

I'm single, no kids, just a dog... who the fuck am I to judge?

18. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wonder if some people's hatred grows stronger when focused on a person that can deflect all that hate. Sure TS has had some public breakups but no drug issues. DUI's, crazy Britney style behavior etc so people put her under a microscope looking for a reason to hate her other than her music isn't their cup of tea.
    People kept cheering for a Tiger comeback even after it became known that he was a serial cheater and drove under the influence several times but Lebron gets a ton of hate even though he's been with the same women since HS, seems to be a good father, no drugs etc

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's just bullshit gatekeeping where people think the context of their personal taste in music trumps all else, including hard lifetime stats.

It's no different than people that think Pop music is shit and shouldn't exist.

Normal people just ignore it and don't engage, other people get riled up at it and take it personally.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

100% guilty of that when it comes to current country music. I'm sure my BP rises a little bit when people say they like country music and then list off a who's who of skinny jean wearing, baseball cap, country rap/pop artists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.