Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The SuperBowl Traditions & Recipes Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samr, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Starts in a week. The fiance just moved into our new house, and this is going to be the first real party to break it in. Three big screens, plenty of beer and food to go around.

Focus: Share your favorite Superbowl food and drink recipes. Talk about your party plans. Anyone have their childrens' college fund riding on the outcome? Any weird superstitions?

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: The SuperBowl Traditions & Recipes

For the better part of the last decade I'd go to my friends house as his whole family is from Boston and they threw massive parties for the Pats Super Bowl appearances. Other than that my friends like to go to our favorite football season wings joint and chow down while getting hammered watching the game.

3. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am going to a party and want to bring an appetizer that is a crowd pleaser. I am more of a baked brie sort of person, so what are your favorite tried and true football party apps? Recipes would be appreciated.

4. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]
    I will be attempting to make one of these. From scratch.

Go Saints....you guys had better win one, because if I continue cooking and eating shit like that, I won't live to see you get another shot.

A good dip that I have made is refried Mexican beans on the bottom, chorizo and a layer of cheese baked until the cheese melts and then cover with a layer of salsa or chismol (diced onions, tomatoes and bell peppers with cilantro and lime juice) and a layer of shredded lettuce. You can add sour cream or to be authentic, mantequilla if you want. You had better have sturdy tortilla chips for that one.

5. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

BLT Dip

2 lbs bacon, cooked and chopped
    2 cups mayo
    2 cups sour cream
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 diced tomatoes (optional, I don't like them)
    2 cups shredded lettuce

This is my go-to, but I usually tweak it a bit, adding a bit more sour cream than mayo, upping the bacon and cheese and if it's still creamy I add in the lettuce until it thickens up. I used regular cheddar cheese in the past but this year I might throw in some swiss or pepper jack as well.

6. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm fond of Alton Brown's Texas-style chili recipe: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pressure-cooker-chili-recipe/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html</a>

If you don't have a pressure cooker, just put it in a crockpot or put your stove on the lowest setting for a few hours. Delicious.

7. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am not sure what you want to call this, but I've done it a few times and it tastes damn good. Obviously, adjust the proportions according to how much you want.

1 lbs ground sirloin
    1 can refried beans
    1 package Uncle Ben's spanish rice
    shredded cheese (type of your preference)
    taco or fajita seasoning (preference)
    1 bag restaurant tortilla chips

Cook the meat and add the seasoning, heat the beans and rice, and mix it all together with a decent amount of cheese and, if you prefer, hot sauce. Then put it in a baking dish, cover it with another layer of cheese, break up the chips and toss a thin layer of those on top as well.

Put it in the oven at 350 until the cheese is melted.

8. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Beer sausages/hot dogs

1-2 cans or bottles of your favourite beer (I'd recommend a nice rich stout)
    disposable aluminium tray
    1 large onion peeled and sliced
    hot dogs and/or sausages (as many as needed)

Get the hot dogs and cut small slits into the skin, 2-3 per side. Cook them until they are ready to serve. While you are doing this you should fill the tray with a decent amount of beer and add the onion. Place the tray on the grill or the side burner and bring to a simmer. Put the hot dogs in there when they are fully cooked and let them sit for about 5 mins. Since your hot dogs are nice and crispy on the outside with only the slits you cut in them being tender, they will absorb the flavour without having the texture of boiled hot dogs. Serve and enjoy.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Though I am a firm believer that they are an aquired taste/liking, I always make sure to have at least half a dozen decent cigars with me for those who want one. Usually I bring back a box of Monte Cristos or Romeo y Julietas from Cuba, so I'm always well equipped. I'm not a huge cigar smoker, just enjoy one from time to time, but the Superbowl is a good place for them if you're into them and especially when you're favourite team wins. However, I'm a Redskins fans sooooo...snake eyes.

10. DrunkBilliken

DrunkBilliken
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip

8oz cream cheese
    1 tub (4 or 5 oz, I think) blue cheese crumbles
    1 package precooked chicken (this is just easier, cook your own if you want)
    Your favorite hot sauce/wing sauce (I just use Frank's Buffalo sauce)
    Cheddar cheese (as much as you want, I use about a cup)

Layer these ingredients in a ceramic baking dish in the order they are listed. Bake at 350* for 20 minutes. Let it cool a bit, and serve it warm. The recipe I originally saw said it goes great with tortilla chips, but I figured they would break too easily so I use Frito's Scoops. The last time I made this it was gone in about 15 minutes, so triple and quadruple as necessary.

11. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A friend makes this all the time and it is so good - hell, I don't even eat meat, I just skim the non-meat layers off the top & it's still awesome.

Reuben Dip!

* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    * 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
    * 16 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
    * 8 ounces shredded corned beef
    * 16 ounces shredded Swiss cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and dressing.
    3. Spread corned beef into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Layer sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and the mayonnaise-dressing mixture on top of the sauerkraut.
    4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
    Serve with cocktail rye bread.

12. BigChops

BigChops
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Chips, salsa, and guacamole are essentials to any party, in my opinion. Don't be lazy and buy that shit off the shelf though, make your own. It's pretty easy and 100x more healthy and delicious in the long run.

These recipes are just loose estimations, no need to measure or follow exactly, as long as you have all the ingredients just use what looks like a good ratio.

Salsa:

6 roma or vine ripened tomatoes, quarter them and scrap out the seeds with a spoon.
    1/2 or a large sweet yellow or white onion, peeled and quartered (white is authentic mexican but I like to use sweet onions)
    4 cloves of fresh garlic, smashed and peeled
    1 fistfull of fresh cilantro
    1 Pablano pepper, quartered, seeded and de-veined.
    A few of your favorite hot peppers (I usually use at least 1 hungarian hot, a few seranos, and maybe a habenero if I'm looking for hot fire), halved and seeded)
    1 tsp red wine vinegar
    1/2 tbls kosher salt
    1/2 tbls ground black pepper
    1 lime (just the juice, throw the rest away)
    1/2 Tbls of honey

Basically, if you have a big enough food processor you can just throw all of that into it and blend until it is the consistancy you want. If no you can process the onions and peppers separately, then blend the rest of the ingredients up and combine them in a large container. The key is to make it ahead of time so it can sit in the fridge at least for 8 hours (overnight is best) so the flavors can gel. If it comes out too hot for your taste then just add more honey. Not hot enough? Mix in some Sriracha or tabasco.

Guacamole:

This needs to be made right before serving, as avacados start turning gross looking a couple hours after you make it.

6 ripened avacados (soft to touch but not too mushy)
    2 roma or vine tomatoes, seeded and diced.
    1/2 cup sweet onion, finely diced or proccessed (optional if you can't stand raw onions, I can't but I still put a little bit in, very finely diced)
    OR 1/2 tbls onion powder
    2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed, peeled, and minced as fine as possible
    A handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
    (OPTIONAL) 2 seeded and deveined jalapenos
    1/2 a lime
    1/2 tbls kosher salt

Cut around the pits of the avacados with a knife, length-wise and pull the halves apart. Remove the insides with a spoon into a mixing bowl, and set the pits aside (they can be used later)
    Squeeze half of the lime into the bowl over the avacados
    Dice up your peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic and cilantro and mix in to the bowl with the avacados with the salt
    Use a metal fork to mash up the avacados and incorporate the rest of the ingredients
    Place 2 or 3 of the pits on top of the bowl, cover tightly with plasitc wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Tortilla chips:

Ok, I buy these when I'm serving a lot of people. If you're feeling adventerous you can buy corn tortillas, cut into quarters and deep fry them in 350 degree peanut or canola oil until golden brown and crispy. Then salt and drain on a cooling rack.

13. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I try to make something in theme with one of the team's hometowns, so this year it'll be gumbo. Is Indianapolis famous for anything other than Letterman and an extended left turn?

14. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Greg Oden, and his penis are from there.

15. Nettie

Nettie
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Taco Dip

8 oz sour cream
    8 oz cream cheese
    1 pkg taco seasoning

Mix well (I cheat & use a mixer), spread on a platter

1 lb burger
    1 pkg taco seasoning

Prepare according to directions (duh!)

Spread on top of base
    Spread one package of shredded cheese (I like to use the finely shredded nacho/taco cheese) on top of meat

Add whatever taco-y toppings you want such as:
    Shredded lettuce
    Diced tomatoes
    Diced onions
    Sliced black olives
    Jalapenos

You can alternately just do the base, meat, cheese, and have bowls of stuff for people to throw on there

Serve with fritos or tostitos, something like that!

16. megan

megan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

A good tip to help keep your guacamole from turning brown is to leave the avocado pits in the dip bowl. I'm not sure why but it helps.

A very simple Mexican dip for those who don't cook:

Spread one package cream cheese on the bottom of a dish. Spread 1 can Hormel chili on top (beans, turkey, whichever you like). Cover with 1 block shredded pepper jack cheese (or you can use regular monterrey jack and sprinkle with diced jalapenos). Microwave on high for about 5 min or put in oven 10-15 min or until cheese is melted.

So easy, a crowd pleaser and very addicting.

17. TPapp

TPapp
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I got this recipe from the TMMB and it's been my go to for the last three years, now my friends ask me to make this every year. It's really good definitely worth giving a try.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sub in Skyline Chili and Cheddar cheese and you'll turn everyone at the party into ravenous wolves.

19. Hogie

Hogie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Nary a mention of the Bacon Explosion? If I didn't give a crap about my arteries, I'd be all over that.

I want what you're having. Perhaps combine the two.

20. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah but his bum legs are from Detroit.

They don't work no mo'.