Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Superbowl Food&Drink Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jan 24, 2011.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Luke reminded me we didn't have this up as of yet so here ya go. Share, ask, brag or whatever.

The best wings I've had I've made myself with a Hooters copycat recipe. They are fried but god damn if they aren't awesome. I'll just throw it up for whoever anyway.

Prep. Time: 1:45
    Serves: 4

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    20 chicken wing segments
    1/2 cup butter OR margarine (I've always used butter, you're eating like a fat fuck already so who cares)
    1/2 cup hot sauce (I use Crystals ONLY, Franks is way too salty.)

-In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and peppers. I do this is a gallon zip lock, way easier.
    -Coat chicken entirely in the flour mixture; refrigerate coated wings for 1 hour (I normally don't bother with a whole hour 15-20 mins); coat chicken again with remaining flour mixture.
    -In a 2-quart saucepan, heat butter and hot sauce just until butter melts; turn heat to low and keep warm on stove top.
    -Deep-fry chicken, 8 - 10 pieces at a time, in 375 degree oil (vegetable oil, canola oil, or peanut oil) for 13 minutes, turning once or twice.
    -Drain chicken on a wire cooling rack for 30 seconds, then immediately toss fried chicken in buffalo sauce mixture and remove with a slotted spoon.
    -Repeat with remaining chicken.

Adjusting the spiciness of the sauce: As is, the recipe produces a medium sauce. To change the amount of spiciness, simply adjust the butter-to-hot sauce-ratio:
    Mild: Use 3/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup hot sauce.
    Hot: Use 1/4 cup butter and 3/4 cup hot sauce.

Note: I just buy the big bag of wing segments (about 35-40) and bulk up the recipe accordingly.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I get most of my recipes online. Here's a really good guacamole recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/guacamole-recipe/index.html) that's not difficult to make at all:
    Ingredients

* 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
    * 1 lime, juiced
    * 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    * 1/2 medium onion, diced
    * 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
    * 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    * 1 clove garlic, minced

Directions

In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.

I really, really love to bake. If you've never made any kind of bread before then this will be a new challenge for you to try. It's really a very basic recipe and is very easy to follow. If you've never made dough before, then definitely a good "first" for you: Cheesy soft pretzels http://debbmarie.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/game-day-cheese-filled-pretzels/
    (I won't copy and paste the whole thing because it is long. There are a lot of pictures that are helpful, too)

3. Atticus

Atticus
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have made and can swear by this recipe, but I like to change things up just a little bit.

This time of year, canned whole tomatoes taste MUCH better than anything you can find in the produce section. Make sure the label says something like "packed at peak of freshness". For some smokey extra zip, grab a small can of chipotle peppers in adodo sauce. Just a couple peppers will go a long way, so add them to taste. Finally, toss in a few slices of chopped bacon; there are few things that salted pork fat can't make better.

4. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Chili cheese dip:

Dump a can or two of Hormel chili (any type) into a casserole dish, cover with a layer of shredded cheddar cheese, sprinkle some Cayenne pepper on top, bake at 350f for like a half hour or so.

Most people like to put a layer of cream cheese on the bottom too, but I hate that shit.

Super simple method that tastes fucking awesome:

Get some fresh wings from the super market, put some olive oil, salt pepper and garlic powder on and toss them in the oven on a baking sheet at 375f for around 45 minutes, then flip and put back in for another 45.

Pull them out and use tongs to dip them in a bowl of wing sauce, I personally prefer Kens with a little bit of a random super hot sauce to give it some extra kick, sriracha works great too.

Enjoy.

Edit: After reading LM225's post I'm going to try baking the wings at 500, for a shorter time, for whatever reason the wings don't get temperature hot using the 375 temp, no matter how long I leave them in.

5. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The key to good wings at home is steaming them first, then baking them. Basically the steam effectively parboils them without saturating them with water, and when you dry them off, pop em in the oven, they crisp up very nicely. Alton Brown had an insanely complicated method for doing this on his show, but I think his wing sauce sucks.

I would love if someone could share a good wing sauce recipe using Siracha sauce as the base. Buffalo is so 1993, dude.

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll admit it, I am not a fan of chicken wings....or chewing any meat off the bone for that matter. But this dip takes all of the best flavors of chicken wings into a dip so you get the added benefit of eating it with one those Fritos Scoops. If that isn't heaven, I don't know what is.

From Here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.food.com/recipe/buffalo-chicken-wing-dip-116266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.food.com/recipe/buffalo-chic ... dip-116266</a>

Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
    * 1 (12 ounce) bottle hot sauce (use whole bottle or just half, if desired)
    * 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    * 1 (16 ounce) bottle bleu cheese salad dressing (or can use ranch or 8 oz blue cheese and ranch)
    * 2/3 cup chopped celery
    * 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 3 cups monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend

Directions:

1. 1 Preaheat oven top 350.
    2. 2 In a large bowl, mix shredded chicken, celery and cheese.
    3. 3 In a saucepan over med-low heat, combine cream cheese and salad dressing and stir until smooth. Stir in bottle of hot sauce ( don't have to use entire bottle if you want it milder). Pour heated mixture into bowl with chicken mixture. Stir to mix well.
    4. 4 Pour into a 13" x 9" baking pan. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until bubbly----make sure top doesn't get browned. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm OR cold-----tastes best warm--- with celery or other veggies and crackers.

7. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lots of wings, you guys need to fill the rest of your plates up with even more calories and fat. Super rich, horrible for you but makes you feel so warm inside.

Cheesey Hashbrown Potato casserole:

32oz diced potatoes (or 1 32oz bag Ore Ida hashbrowns)
    1/2 white/yellow onion, diced
    Optional crushed garlic cloves
    8oz can cream of chicken
    1 stick butter, melted
    8oz to 16oz sour cream, your preference.
    8oz cheddar cheese, grated
    Potato chips to top

Preheat oven to 350.

Fry up your onions and potatoes, can add garlic if you like, with a TBL spoon or two of oil, season with S&P.

Transfer to a large mixing bowl, add melted butter, sour cream, cheese, cream of chicken, mix thoroughly. Transfer to casserole dish, spread evenly and top with crushed chips.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, till golden brown on crust.

8. Saint

Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The only changes I would make are:

Leave the wings in a Ziploc filled with Crystal (or similar) Louisiana hot sauce overnight.
    Instead of 1 cup flour, go with 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup corn starch and 1/4 cup of instant mashed potato flakes. I know it sounds fuckin batty but try it and you will love it. Much crispier.
    And I usually put the sauce in one of those squeeze bottles so people can add for their taste and the wings stay crispy until you want them

Fuckin Jets.

9. Muley05

Muley05
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I've made chicken wing dip before, similar to what Mya posted. but mine is a little different.

You can boil and shred chicken, but I have also used canned chicken and I cannot taste the difference (my wife can).

3 cans of chunked chicken (the size of canned tuna)
    1 cup Frank's hot sauce
    1 block cream cheese, softened
    1/2 bag shredded cheese (cheddar, jack, whatever you want)
    A couple of squirts of ranch or blue cheese dressing

I put all of this into a small crock pot, wait for it to get hot, and eat it with tortilla chips or Fritos. Awesome. And you can double the recipe if you wish.

10. Muley05

Muley05
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Also, I put this in the Cooking thread awhile back, but chili is good for the Super Bowl so I will post it again. This is a spicy chili.

2.5 pounds hamburger
    2 packets Williams chili seasoning (enough for four pounds of meat)
    2 large cans of Brooks hot chili beans
    2 cans Rotel (I used one regular and one extra hot), both drained
    2 cans tomato sauce
    1 jar of jalapeno slices, drained

Brown the hamburger. Put everything else, including the chili seasoning, into a pot. Add the hamburger once it is browned. Let it simmer for a little while, maybe 30 minutes, and then eat.

11. Muley05

Muley05
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

One more recipe, this one for BBQ meatballs or smokies:

Buy a bag of frozen Swedish meatballs (about 50) or little smokies. Put them in a crock pot with a bottle of red sweet & sour sauce, a bottle of a sweet BBQ sauce, and a regular can of crushed pineapple. Let it heat up and eat. Super simple and really good.

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

There is little that can compare to the bite sized goodness of lil smokies in the crock with a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays original.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

More on the little smokies...I like to wrap them in crescent rolls for pigs in blankets. So easy, so delicious!
    Meatballs with chili sauce and grape jelly in the crockpot are also delicious.

14. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I also do lil' smokies in crescent rolls for pigs n' blankets. Also, if you're having any young kids over, if you cut crescent rolls into strips instead of triangles and wrap them around regular hot dogs, you can make "mummy dogs", which I saw in a Parenting magazine at Halloween time.

As far as other recipes go:

Get some good ol' Jimmy Dean sausage (the loose crumbling kind) and brown it. Get a bag of premade pizza dough. Let it rise or whatever the fuck it says to do to it on the bag. Roll it out flat.

Cover with mozzarella and the browned sausage. Roll it up over on itself so it's about the size around of a loaf of italian bread. You'll probably have to curl it around to fit on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 or so, give it plenty of time for the dough to cook through.

Slice it like italian bread and watch it vanish.

$100T2's sausage, ham and bean soup:

This is a beast to make, but it's worth it. It's kinda like Pasta Fagioli.

You will need:

1 big ass pot
    2 packages of Italian sausage. I usually do 1 mild, 1 spicy just to mix it up a bit. You can also add diced ham (I get a ham steak from the meat section and dice that up) if you'd like. Or, you can only do the ham and no sausage. I prefer either sausage or both.
    2 28 oz cans of tomato sauce.
    2 14 oz cans of kidney beans
    1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
    3 green peppers
    3 red peppers
    1 onion (I usually only use a half onion)
    1 tbsp Mrs. Dash original
    1 tbsp Mrs. Dash extra spicy
    Garlic (I use the stuff in the jar from the Italian section at the market rather than screwing around with peeling and chopping it fresh)
    12 cups of water
    1 box of small pasta. (I use Ditalini. It swells up with water, so don't use anything bigger than that or Rotini)

I pre-cook the sausage by boiling it. Yep, boiling it. Poke holes in it first, then boil it. Helps get rid of the grease.

After you cook your sausage, let it cool a bit, then slice it up into bite size slices.

Dice up your peppers and onion into whatever size you want them, then start sauteing them in butter with about a tbsp of the garlic in the bottom of your big ass pot. Once they start to cook, mix in your sausage and continue to cook for a few minutes. Once they are where you'd like them, add in your tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, reduce heat to medium. Don't bother draining the diced tomatoes, just throw 'em in. Add in the 2 different Mrs. Dash spices, and mix it up good.

While that is cooking, take the kidney beans (I use light red kidney beans) and rinse them. Once they are rinsed, throw them in the pot, too. Mix it all up again.

Add the 12 cups of water and the 1 lb box of pasta to the mix.

Bring it to a slow boil on medium. Once it boils, reduce heat and simmer. Stir often, taste frequently, sneak small bowls when nobody is looking.

This is good when it's done, but it's even better the next day when everything has had a chance to mix.

EDIT:

I make Sausage and Peppas (You can't put the "R" on peppers here in RI, apparently) pretty much the same way:

Get hot and sweet Italian sausage and enough peppers and onion to go with it. I poke holes in the sausage and boil them to get rid of the grease.

Dice up your peppers and onion into whatever size you'd like, slice up the sausage into bite size pieces, mix it all in a bowl, shake some Mrs. Dash over all of it, bake in the oven for about half an hour at 375. I like to add marinara sauce to it, but you can go plain. Throw it on a grinder roll, over pasta, over rice, or just eat it by itself.

15. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh = Usinger's Brats & Heinz mustard.