Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Summer Vacation Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Apr 25, 2022.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, I just got back from a glorious trip to WV. We had an Airbnb so far in the woods, driving there was technically time travel. Awesome star gazing, hot tub, hiking and just quiet. The house was situated between two streams, so we heard water all hours of the night and day, zero traffic noise, and had perfect weather.

https://www.vrbo.com/2254029

FOCUS: What are your vacations, excursions, day trips or fun exploits this summer?

I turned Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day into 4 day weekends. I'm going to do a beach trip TBD, a trip to Cherry Springs National Park in PA for star gazing, and Rappahanock State Park for star gazing. I'll do a trip to King's Dominion, the Shennandoah National Park, and day trips to Baltimore, Annapolis, and Harper's Ferry. If I can get my niece up here, I'll do a DC day at the National Mall.

Any recommendations on day trips from DC, or how to find some good spots on Airbnb/VRBO?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

My family is terrible at planning trips, so I take it upon myself do it. We are doing a week at beach house on the Outer Banks at the end of June into July 4th. I had to coordinate it to occur after my sister moves back to Virginia from Hawaii and before my brother moves to the Europe.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

We’re renting an rv and taking two different trips, one to the same redneck riviera waterpark place as we did last year, and another one for a week to a park in Galveston. It’s a 39 footer this time, with a separate room for the kids and an outside kitchen, should be a killer experience. Plus I’m not in a walking boot this time.

last summer I broke my leg on the 4th of July so as long as I don’t do that again I’ll consider it progress

4. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

PATC cabins are worth it if you want remote.

Assateague Island is also a great relaxing weekend on the beach away from resorts & hotels.

For day trips, there's a billion wineries in the DC region, some are pretty nice.

Fredericksburg, VA has a lot to do, especially if someone in your party enjoys Civil War history. Gettysburg and Antietam are both easy day trips as well.

Hershey Park in PA is a nice day trip as well.

5. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

VRBO is great, our best vacation to date (Disney trips notwithstanding) was a week rental on Sanibel Island. Pool in back, mango tree in season, proper beach a short drive away. It's the kind of house I would buy if I had the $1M to make them an offer.

This year's big vaca is a roadtrip to Tennessee. Dollyworld and places betwixt. Certainly hope we don't run into anyone overly excited by miscegenation.

6. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Heading to Cape Cod in August. It's become the family tradition at this point and it'll be my son's first time there. He'll be 6 months old so he won't know what's going on or remember anything, but my daughter is at a fun age and she loves it.

7. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We only have 2 little trips planned, a long weekend with some friends in Hocking Hills in a few weeks and a week on the Leelanau peninsula with my husband’s family in July. I’m excited for the change of scenery but baby is in a very self destructive stage right now (almost 11 months, full of white male overconfidence) so I’m a little nervous about having to baby proof everywhere we go.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Hyannis or all the way to P-Town?

9. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We're always somewhere mid-Cape. Yarmouth, Dennis, Harwich.

10. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We haven’t taken a vacation since the pandemic started, but honestly that’s okay with me. With each passing year I’m perfectly happy to hang out at home or just do day trips.

The exception to that is the Adirondacks. If I had my choice we’d just go there every year, and it’s been four years since our last visit. I love it there so much it almost feels like going home. It’s the one place I can truly feel relaxed, aside from home.

11. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6 day cruise on Celebrity X, never been on one but the best part is one week without having to worry about a 6 year old running around, the longest the wife and I have been away from her since she was born has been less than 48hrs. My wife predictably is already stressed out about it.

12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same. We had our biggest, and certainly most expensive vacation ever, planned for July 2020.

We'll do a week at Dad's lake campground, Douglas lake TN. A trip to southern Alabama to see the wife's grandfather, then straight from there to FT Myers Florida to see old friends. That will probably be a two week thing. This friend left his boat up here when they moved, so we'll be towing it down for them, not looking forward to buying all that gas.

We'll do day or weekend trips to VA beach and Norfolk, crew for some sailboat races like the Cape Charles Cup or the Neptune Festival. Day trips to the outer banks.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

First real trip out since Covid is next week... I'm heading out on a road trip to Montreal for a week for work. A few of my team are flying in and we're driving to Montreal for some road trip team building, followed by a week of on-site workshops with some teams from Helsinki.

That will be interesting, in and of itself.

Other than that, the truck and Airstream are what's going on this summer. Only got one small trip in at the end of last year due to delivery timing of the truck, but this year I'm looking at 4-6 weeks on the road, working via Starlink during bits of it. Have a fishing long weekend planned just after the May long weekend, and that's the first major haul out to BC with it, then just wing it from there, dropping in to see old friends, etc., eventually finding my way back.

That's about it, really.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am on my big summer vacation right now. Two week trip to Florida. Spent first week in Miami with my brother who lives there, and mom who was visiting him as well, now a week at my Aunt and Uncles south of Sarasota. Getting all the fishing in I can. I always rush and with limited time have paltry success. Got some proper shark fishing in last night and came this fucking close to landing a 6 foot bull shark. Had him on the beach, he snapped the line, grabbed his tail to pull him up but he bucked out of my hands and swam off. One of the most exhilarating things Ive ever done.

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Been going to sanibel since I was like 8. One of my favorite places to go. It’s great for most people as long as not having a night life is okay. Restaurants are good and affordable and the beaches are perfect.

I’m currently in Taos, New Mexico. This place is fucking legit. Been traveling around to Santa Fe a bit and exploring the area. I could definitely come back here again.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We have a cabin on a five-mile long lake, a little bit north of Augusta, Maine. We’re hoping we can make it up this summer.
    The property is owned jointly by my dad, my uncle, and their cousin. But it’s now at the point where the next generation is starting to feel the first little pangs of annoyance that come with owning a beautiful property between multiple groups in the family…so sometimes it’s like having a really passive aggressive timeshare.
    But God, it’s beautiful.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My grandpa’s beach house was like that but it just came down to my one weird aunt and my brothers and me. My aunt towards the end of my grandpa’s life and for a few years after started using it and intimating she wanted to keep it. My grandpa didn’t give a fuck who stayed there and eventually it was a third of everyone’s in the trust so she couldn’t make demands. There had always been some simple cleaning and maintenance rules to keep it up my grandma had printed up decades ago. My aunt just up and added to them like we wouldn’t notice. My brother, in construction, updated the master bathroom with 15k in free supplies and labor. She didn’t like the look of the tile and complained. Then added a rule the whole shower needed to be wiped dry after every use. Worse It was on septic and that needed to be pumped every few years. Given the property taxes that expense was pittance. To avoid this a new rule “no flushing toilet paper” was added. She expected us to collect our shit wiped tp in a bin and dispose of it separately. She actually made her boomer friends do this at their boomer parties.

She was indecisive and spent years getting our farm cleaned out to sell and had hoped to use her 3rd of that to buy the beach house. By the time she got both appraised the beach house more than doubled in price and the farm wasn’t nearly enough to cover the beach house. Fire Florida house market. Had she wrapped it up in year one she could have kept it.