Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Rugby Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by pincinelly, Oct 21, 2009.

1. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah Joe has lost a lot of pace, but he has been in good form. Gear played so well against the Irish and English that I thought he was a certainty to make the ABs. If he couldn't get in with that form I imagine he will go over to Europe or Japan in the near future.

First 'real' test this Saturday. I will be at Eden park watching the ABs crush the Boks. Should be a great game.

2. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The ABs dominated up front in the scrums, did well in the lineouts and generally out played the Saffers. Botha should have been red carded 5 minutes into the game for his stupid headbutt on Jimmy Cowan, and will likely miss the next few games. But I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles to make it back into the team, as SA has considerable locking talent on the bench (who aren't as dirty as big Bakkies).

SA looked liked they didn't have a back up plan after their "kick it and wait for mistakes plan" didn't work. This showed in the second half after they kicked two penalties before the ABs got another try. The Boks chose to kick another penalty goal instead of trying to put some pressure on the ABs line. To be honest, SA only looked like scoring once, and they fucked that up. I think the new law interpretations work in favour of teams who attack and keep the ball in hand.

3. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This thread is dying a slow death but I may as well attempt CPR.

End of the tri-nations:

All Blacks Undefeated, 10 straight victories over the Aussies, beat the Boks in SA in the last seconds of the game. One of the best things for the AB's is that Dan Carter and Richie McCaw weren't playing at their best (although both were still excellent) and the team still managed to play excellent rugby.

Aussies: An improvement on last year, beating the boks home and away is pretty good. Still no luck for Robbie Deans against the ABs though. The Aussies proved that they will still be incredibly dangerous at the World Cup. Inexperience that cost them in the last game against NZ, 13 point lead with ten minutes to go and they blew it.

Boks: An atrocious campaign, due to a terrible coach, them not adapting to the new laws, some poor discipline in the first few games, and some senior players who are getting old (John Smit I'm looking at you). The boks attempted to put pressure on the opposition through kicks and up and unders, but this wasn't as effective without Du Prez and the new law interpretations. It seemed as though after this didn't work they would take off Morne Steyn, put on Butch James and try to play some running rugby (which they did pretty well).
    De Villiers will surely be gone before next years world cup. His poor record and baffling statements about everything from cheating referees to murderous props will surely get him fired.

Oh, and Sonny Bill Williams is looking pretty good playing for Canterbury.

4. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sonny Bill will be on the end of year tour as will Slade and Cruden, watch for Cruden to bounce back well.The clown prince will stay as coach most likely this close to the world cup. Never underestimate the power of politics in SA rugby.

He was always a political appointment. Australia will be the main threat next year at the world cup.

5. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This. I can imagine Australia not winning a game against the ABs until the world cup final.

Sonny Bill Williams is playing pretty bloody well, so is Robbie Fruen. There is an embarrassment of riches in the All Black Midfield. Nonu, Smith, Williams, Kahui, Fruen, Benson Stanley, Rene Ranger, and could all make the all blacks in either 2nd five or centre.

Yeah, De Villiers is a political appointment, but he is so bad that I can see them at least trying to put another black coach in there who might not be as bad. As far as other countries are concerned though, it is a good thing that he isn't getting fired.

6. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jake White had a year as bad or worse the year before then won the cup. The clown prince won't get fired. Fruen is miles down the line and unfortunately Kahui who is a favourite player of mine is injured again.

I can imagine Aus not beating us either but if they can fix their mental attitude to finishing a game then we could be in trouble in the very enar future.