Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Rugby Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by pincinelly, Oct 21, 2009.

1. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

2. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I am so excited that the IOC voted to let 7's into the Olympics. So many countries only get national funding if the sport is in the Olympics. In 30 years time this will be seen to be the most important thing to happen to rugby since William Web Ellis decided that soccer was for pussies.

3. Outlaw6

Outlaw6
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I hope this catches a fire under the US's athletes too, but with Basketball, Major League Baseball and American Gridiron paying out so much money, our top athletes don't bother with what is arguably the best sport on two legs.

I always like dredging up this ancient history: (Suck on it, Frogs!)

OLYMPIC RUGBY
    Introduced by Baron Pierre de Coubertin (who refereed the first ever French championship final), rugby was on the Olympic program at Paris in 1900, at London in 1908, Antwerp in 1920, and Paris again in 1924. In 1928 the I.O.C. turned down the request to stage rugby at the Amsterdam games. Three factors were believed to be behind this: the IOC wanted more emphasis on individual sports; women's athletics had swollen the number of competitors; and the sport did not receive the backing that it should have from the British entries. Both the Soviet Union in 1980 and South Korea in 1988 made attempts to have rugby readmitted, and it should be pointed out that South Korea came desparately close to achieving their aim. [* I never knew this! -wft]

THE RESULTS
    1900 Paris
    Three teams entered - France, Germany and Britain. France won the gold, winning 27-17 against Germany, who were awarded the silver medal. Britain lost 27-8 to France in the only other match, and were awarded the bronze.

1908 London
    Two teams entered - Britain, the hosts, and Australia. Just one match was played, a straight final, won by Australia, 32-3.

1912 Stockholm
    Not held.

1920 Antwerp
    Two teams entered - USA and France. The USA caused a shock by winning the only match 8-0 to take the gold medal.

1924 Paris
    Three teams entered - France, USA and Romania. Each country played two games. Both France and USA beat Romania, who were awarded the bronze medal. France won 59-3, scoring 13 tries including four by the fine Stade Francais winger Adolphe Jaureguy. The USA then defeated Romania 39-0. The final was played at Colombes stadium, Paris on 18 May 1924 and the USA took the gold with a 17-3 victory before 30,000. The Americans, from Stanford University, scored five tries, (Farrish(2), Patrick, Rogers and Manelli), with a conversion by Doe. Gallau scored the lone French try. The match finished in uproar, when Gideon Nelson, one of the reserves, was flattened by a walking stick. The American anthem was jeered, and rugby ceased at the Olympics.

4. valeo

valeo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The Olympics will be HUGE for Rugby in the US. It's going to take a while, but the sport is poised for big growth in some key areas (youth especially) and this announcement will only jump start all the in the next 7 years. Then in 2016, I think it will be another huge step forward as the entire country will be able to watch it. And compared to how lame most other Olympic sports are to watch, as long as it gets decent coverage it should be one of the most popular events. Let's just cross our fingers the US can hold its form through whatever qualifiers there are.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Anyone know of a good rugby torrent site?

6. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Don't know of any torrent sites, but http://www.rugbydump.com has great game highlights.

7. Er yan

Er yan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Could be in the movie too, but it fits here better.

EDIT - Just noticed that someone did post it in upcoming movies. Still think it belongs here as well.

#7 Er yan, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Hey guys.

Looks like I missed out on all the fun.

The Currie Cup final is tomorrow - Blue Bulls vs. Free State Cheetahs at Loftus Versveld. It should be a fantastic match, since the Cheetahs are now almost at full strength, thanks to the return of their captain, Adriaan Strauss, which is rather fortunate - the only fit hooker they had in place against the Sharks in the Semi-Final was his cousin, Rickardt Strauss.

I cannot convey how annoyed I am with the Sharks at fucking up, particularly Adrian Jacobs. WHO THE FUCK GIVES AWAY FOUR FUCKING PENALTIES IN THE LAST TEN MINUTES WHEN YOU'RE LEADING BY ONE POINT? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

There is not enough beer in the world to make me forget that horrific sequence of events.

9. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I am so happy I have finally found the sport that actually has something great to talk about

10. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

New member here and an avid rugby player. Just wondering how all the home clubs are doing and what your training for yourselves are like in the season so far?

11. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    I don't play rugby - I'm just an avid supporter of my local provincial side, who just happen to be one of the best rugby union sides in the world (The Sharks / Natal Sharks - depending what competition it is), and the high school I attended is a famous old rugby school (D.H.S.).

There aren't too many players on the board, but I'm sure you'll run into them here.

12. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm gearing up to play my first season in the southern hemisphere. I have a feeling that playing in Queensland will be a step up from playing in North Carolina.

Did anyone catch the All Blacks v Wales? I really thought the Welsh were going to pull an upset for a minute.

13. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I got up to watch the game, I was half asleep and really fucking hungover. I never really thought the Welsh would win it. They seem to lack the conditioning that Southern Hemisphere teams have and this shows in the latter stages of the game. I really like Tests against the Welsh, their responses to the Haka are always good. What were your thoughts on the Carter high tackle when Wales were on the attack? I didn't think it was too bad, but I'm pretty biased.

14. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I watched a game in Millennium stadium once; fantastic atmosphere. Carters shot was high, but yeah not too bad. Deserved a penalty but not a card.

Most impressive thing in Rugby I've seen all year was the Adam Ashley Cooper try. He carried four tacklers a good five meters.

15. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was a quality try, reminded me of something Chris Latham would have scored in the day. I still like him as a 13 and not a 15 but. Will Genia was a standout of the game.

Am off to Ireland on Friday to watch Ireland vs Australia at Croke Park. Can't wait.

16. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I know you guys are all into the international stuff, but just wondering if anyone from Canada has been checking on the provincial teams.

A buddy of mine played for team ontario and i have a coach on the national team.

Not sure if anyone caught the Dan Carter high tackle, we had a big problem with this when I played in school, bet the guy was disapointed he got suspended for it, but it does happen

17. Blackbeard

Blackbeard
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I was at Loftus for the final. After the first 20 minutes we thought the game was all wrapped up, but as the Sharks know, don't write off the Cheetahs until the final whistle blows. Hougaard scored his one try right in front of us and Habana one of his on the other side of the posts.

Quite excited about the Northern tours going on at the moment. The 'Boks play France on Friday night. I have my doubts about the team, but I sincerely hope that the Boys in Green can pull one over the Frogs, despite a recent history that favours the French.

Here is a shitty cell-phone picture of the Bulls doing a victory lap after they won the Currie Cup again.

Attached Files:

18. Blackbeard

Blackbeard
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

So tonight the Springboks are playing the Frogs. Any predictions?

19. Blackbeard

Blackbeard
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The South African National Anthem was butchered worse than the 'Boks on Friday evening!

#19 Blackbeard, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

For the first time in a while the Northern Hemisphere teams are giving NZ, AUS, and SA a run for their money. I have come to expect Australia to win comfortably against Ireland, and thought that SA would beat France (not to mention Leicester). And with the All Blacks with a pretty mediocre win against a pretty good Italian team. It's a good thing I guess, as it makes the games a bit more interesting.