Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Punisher

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

After stealing away season 2 of Daredevil, they finally made the Punisher story the way fans would want in a modern setting. Berenthal is incredible as Frank Castle and Netflix streamed it today, I can’t wait.

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Trailer looks pretty brutal, what’s the word on the rating? If they did it for adults then I am in, if it’s PG-13 not so much.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I’m assuming you haven’t seen Daredevil. There’s no way it’s PG13.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Only for gruesome violence. They shy away entirely from titties, nothing like intentionally censored sex. *rolls eyes*

That still pisses me off. We can watch serial decapitations but the female form.... you’re gonna traumatize people with that shit.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Welcome to America.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Just finished. I thought this was the best Marvel Netflix show yet. It wasn’t boring crap like Iron Fist, it doesn’t try to pretentiously hammer it’s message home like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, and the hero isn’t a goody-goody like Daredevil.

Although:
    The young vet suffering PTSD started interesting, then became tasteless lay overblown by making him a domestic terrorist. I didn’t like that at all.

I was really satisfied with how it ended. And it got SERIOUSLY fucking violent after a slow burn first few episodes. They got the Punisher right finally, and Bernthal is good enough to win an Emmy. Whenever the show lagged, he kept it afloat with a completely believable performance as a broken man.

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just finished it as well. Really satisfying. I thought the timing of how soon some characters got offed was interesting. I also liked the way they had different and interesting methods of violence, not just all-out guns blazing. The scene in that Colonel's office with the smoke grenades was really cool.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yeah, I loved how there was no “One man army” action scenes. He was always fighting for his life and collecting (and selling) bad injuries from any encounter. And fuck does he dish out sadism, too. Using the 8 lb. maul hammer-to-spine while screaming like a cro-mag in the pilot episode, that was solid fucking gold.

As a fan of the comic when I was a kid, I also liked what they did with Micro. They made the arc of his character a show-within-the-show, with just as much tension.

Don’t get me started on the final two episode’s climaxes. That was Spartacus-level brutality. Gorgeous. Bring on you-know-who.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just finished episode 6. It's fantastic in ways that I wasn't expecting. Filmed really well to match the grit of Bernthal's performance.

There was a reference to Daredevil in this thread. I haven't seen it. Was that the jumping off point for this show or something? And is more of the Punisher back story of how he made the ones pay who killed his family part of that? Or, does it show up as flashbacks in later episodes? I feel like I missed a little something when they talk about it.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The Punisher is introduced as a mass murderer/anti-hero in Daredevil season 2. His story about him slaughtering people, his capture, trial, etc. is the secondary plot but it was easily the best thing about the show. On that show he was one of the coldest characters I’ve ever seen.

He has a 10 vs. 1 fight in a prison block that’s one of the most badass things you’ll ever see on TV.

#10 Crown Royal, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice circle back to the 10 vs 1 in Daredevil season 3. New Punisher season out next Friday. Yay.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Too bad they're not continuing.. because they've done a great job so far.

I just finished binge watching season 1 in prep for the new season.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have they said for sure Punisher is not continuing? I know Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Daredevil are not. But, I didn't think Jessica Jones and Punisher were announced yet. I suspected that Disney's new streaming service would announce they were continuing there.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think he means Daredevil.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No, I meant Punisher.

Disney owns Marvel, and Disney is spinning up their own streaming service that will compete against Netflix.

That means that Disney is slowly killing off all future licensing of Marvel IP to Netflix so that they can have that content for their streaming service. That's why you'll see Star Wars, etc, all drop off of Netflix in the next little while.

Sure, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage are the ones that have been officially announced, but it is fully expected (based on ton of "insider" articles) that Punisher and JJ will follow as well.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I had a feeling they’d be doing that. But Netflix is still letting Netflix post Marvel movies, which is odd. They just put up Infinity War a couple weeks ago.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I suspect those deals have been in place for awhile. Netflix paid Disney to post the Marvel movies and Disney is not launching their streaming service until late 2019. I'm sure Disney would rather have the cash now.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Exactly this. There are multi-year agreements in place that are slowly expiring before they go away from Netflix. Same concept as how a lot of their old/good movie archive has gone away... once they became a threat or competition, the content providers didn't renew various licenses, but they still had to honour the preexisting agreements.

It'll be a slow/gradual migration, not a flipping of a switch, and on a case-by-case basis.

19. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast