Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Playlist of Your Last Twenty Years.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bundy Bear, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A radio station here is Aus does a countdown every year called the Hottest 100 and to celebrate twenty years of doing it they're doing a top 100 for the last twenty years. Each person gets twenty songs to vote for with the stipulation that they were released during the last twenty years. First prize is tickets to see a band of your choice at a gig anywhere in the world.

Focus: We've probably done something similar before but what are your top twenty songs of the last twenty years.

Just your songs and discussion, no YouTube videos, that's what the music thread is for.

The twenty I voted for are.

Beastie Boys - Sabotage
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    Tool - AEnema
    Nine Inch Nails - Every Day Is Exactly the Same
    Tool - Sober
    Alice in Chains - Heaven Beside You
    Audioslave - Show Me How to Live
    Massive Attack - Teardrop
    Faith No More - The Gentle Art of Making Enemies
    Front End Loader - Pulse
    Deadmau5 - Raise Your Weapon
    Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard
    Pendulum - Slam
    PJ Harvey - This Mess We're In
    Primus - The Antipop
    Queens of the Stone Age - Go With the Flow
    Radiohead - Myxomatosis.
    System of a Down - Sugar
    The Tea Party - Psychopomp
    Wu-Tang Clan - Gravel Pit

Alt Focus: The worst song in the last twenty years and why.

2. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Subfocus: Let's try to find songs that you think define eras in your life. Don't just list them -- say why.

Nitwit is not allowed in this thread.

3. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    That subfocus could make it interesting.

I guess we can include music from when we were in high school, right? I think most of this board was at school at some point in the 1994? If there is a story to a particular song, I'll say. Also, people do dumb things when drunk...

My list will be mostly electronic, metal, rock and hip-hop -based. I don't listen to much pop. Not in any chronological order:

AC/DC - Rock 'N' Roll Train
    AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip
    Airbourne - Cheap Wine And Cheaper Women* (*no joke. It really is what the song is called.)
    Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At (ah, college drinking...)
    Blink 182 - What's My Age Again (same as above)
    Depeche Mode - A Pain That I'm Used To (because they're awesome)
    Disturbed - Shout 2000 (again, drinking...)
    Eminem - Without Me (too many shooters, something involving dancing on speakers. Yikes.)
    Faithless - Insomnia
    Foo Fighters - The Pretender
    Funker Vogt - Date Of Expiration
    Green Day - American Idiot (sums up my feelings of most random people pretty well)
    INXS - Elegantly Wasted (a good song and a decent album)
    Korn - Freak On A Leash
    Mandoza - Nkalakatha (an S.A. classic. As is the music video, if you can ever find it...)
    Rammstein - Asche Zu Asche (because awesome)
    Rammstein - Stripped (a cover, but amazing. The music video was cool too. Also, college...)
    Rob Zombie - Superbeast
    Snoop Dogg - Snoop's Upside Ya Head (again, drinking with friends)
    Stone Temple Pilots - Hollywood Bitch (describes most South African women I've encountered to a tee)

4. Sicnevol

Sicnevol
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

twenty song ehh? Thank good I'm young enough to have a play counter for almost all of my music over the last 20 years.

1. Night is the Notion - Dax Riggs[/spoiler]
    Came out in 2007. pretty much defined a summer for me and I still love it.

2. The Pretender - Foo Fighters
    Also 2007, one of the Angry break up songs I love.

3. Idlewild blue - Outkast
    Don't know why but I just love this song so much. 2006

4. I got Shit - Pearl Jam
    This one defines and entire relationship, makes me sad but I still love the shot out of it. 1995 A-Side, I was 13 the first time I heard it.

5. Pushit- Tool ( Studio Version)
    1996, this whole album defined my high school years. Came out when I was in 6th grade, and first heard it in 8th. Will say I prefer the live version now however.

6. Blood on the Ground - Incubus
    Another good album for my high school years, this song is on the angry breakup list too

7. I come from the water- Toadies

Don't know why, I've just always really had a strong reaction to this song. The whole album is great actually. 1994

OK no more links, time consuming

8.Comfort Eagle - Cake

9. Satan is my motor- Cake

This one is my theme song.

10. Novocain for the Soul- Eels

11.Touch, Peel and stand - Days of the New'

12. Judith- A perfect circle

13. Jezebel - Acid Bath

14.Make it with Chu - Queens of the Stone Age

15. Fell on black days - Soundgarden

16. Reptile - Nine Inch Nails

17. Passenger - Deftones

18. Untitled - Pearl jam

19. More Human than Human - White Zombie

20. Little Toy Gun - HoneyHoney

#4 Sicnevol, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Green Day - "Basketcase"
    Green Day - "When I Come around" (I don't like most of Green Day's other stuff, but Dookie will always be my all time favorite album. I was an outcast in high school and music was always my escape, and Dookie was my go to album)
    Ben Folds Five - "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces"
    Ben Folds Five - "Brick"
    Rilo Kiley - "Pictures of Success"
    Rilo Kiley - "Plane Crash in C"
    Rilo Kiley - "The Good That Won't Come Out"
    Rilo Kiley - "Capturing Moods"
    Rilo Kiley - "Portions for Foxes" (Sorry that I couldn't pick less than five Rilo Kiley songs. Jenny Lewis's voice is incredible)
    Blink 182 - "Adam's Song"
    Blink 182 - "Dysentary Gary" (I still love Blink, and this song sums up how it feels to be frustrated with romantic relationships)
    The Elected - "The Bank and Trust"
    The Smashing Pumpkins - "Tonight, Tonight" (I am not a Smashing Pumpkins fan but I love this song)
    Tool - "Schism"
    System of a Down - "Chop Suey"
    Cam'ron featuring Juelz Santana - "More Gangsta Music"
    Phish - "Farmhouse" (I started listening to Phish during my freshman year of college, and this song takes me back to how it felt to have the new found freedom of college)
    TLC - "Waterfalls"
    The Decemberists - "July, July'
    Modest Mouse - "Float on"

Great topic!

6. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How can you ask Crown to choose just one?

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm sure everyone thinks that, I can't blame them. However, I only need one.

Opening this will give you cancer, just to let you know:

#7 Crown Royal, Jun 3, 2013
  8. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm still not entirely sure that wasn't the greatest musical troll of 2007 or whenever it was. Cause that just defied description. Even their models looked miserable. Probably cause they got paid in Red Bulls and Parliaments.

#8 JWags, Jun 3, 2013
  9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This may be rough, but in no particular Order:

Hey Man Nice Shot by Filter
    It's my favourite song of the 90's and on this list. From its menacing, creaky opening keyboard to that explosive chorus guitar hook that made the song so huge, it's ability to be so quiet and menacing and turn into the loudest song ever made jerks your eardrums around with stunning ease.

Home Alone by R. Kelly and Keith Murray
    Urine jokes aside, I think this is the best dancefloor song ever made. It has the sickest of all bass lines that lunges like a warhead, smooth-as-shit rhythm and a perfect beat speed. This is get-down music at it's absolute zenith.

Lateralus by Tool
    Aside from being a monstrous, terrifying puzzlebox of a song The 2-minute finale of this tune is the greatest ending I've heard in any song, ever.

Glory Box by Portishead
    Get down, make love.

Renegades of Funk by Rage Against the Machine
    A song to just break your neck to. So funky. So heavy. Zach's vocals on this tune are lightning-quick and timed perfectly with some incdrible instrument hooks.

Aint no Fun by Snoop Dogg, Kurupt, Nate Dogg & Warren G
    You want a song that take me back, THIS SHIT RIGHT FUCKIN HERE, SON. The perfect hip-hop song. Dirty, filthy, with a criminally catchy acid-lounge beat backed by four of Death Row's finest. I will never tire of this tune, or its entire album for that matter.

Blast the Speakers (Advanced 12" mix) by The Warp Brothers
    The absolutely heaviest, hardest, most explosive EDM song I have ever heard. If one song lives up to its title, it's this one. A tornado of a dance tune, not for all tastes.

Cubically Contained by The Headstones
    I don't have to say anything. Angel will say it all.

6 Underground by Sneaker Pimps
    My favourite chill-out song, it puts me in a happy place.

Closer- Nine Inch Nails
    "How can it be the dirtiest song ever if he only swears four times????" It's all about context. It's how it's said and the music that surrounds it, Trent Reznor piles on layers and layers of impossible-to-duplicate keyboard textures that drip with sex, gore and filth. Despite it being nearly 20 years old is hasn't aged a day, it still packs a dancefloor and its still steamy as hell.

Blue on Black by The Kenny Wayne Sheppard Band
    A perfect blues ballad with one the catchiest choruses and guitar hooks ever made.

Lake Fever by The Tragically Hip
    My summer song. It's a perfect tune to relax outside to, a ferocisouly Canadian song with a soothing five-guitar layer to it.

Stripper Girl by Steel Panther
    I would choose almost every song by these Gods, but you force my hand and I go with this hysterical power ballad. Hilarious and talented, you have a choice: either worship Steel Panther or fuck you.

Hang On To This by Days of the New
    Travis Meeks is a music visionary who can see things many composers couldn't. He's also a world-class asshole who threw it away on Meth. Regardless, this song is his peak tune in my opinion. So awesome and produced to perfection.

Zoom by The Watchmen
    I wish I could tell you why I loved this song so much but I do, it's a weird song to most people but I probably listened to it a thousand times in 1996.

Gold on the Ceiling by The Black Keys
    Foot, tapping, finger-snapping, boot-in-your-gut bluesy rock. Nothing ground-breaking, just impossible to dislike.

White by Fem Pixlar-
    Despite my firm aversion to dubstep, using as a small element in this tune makes for an incredibly awesome, thumping house song. I first heard this one on here (I think pewpewpow fond it if so thanks) and loved it instantly.

Possum Kingdom by The Toadies
    You know it, you love it.

Save Me by The Tea Party
    Another high school take-back for me, an epic song in scope and sound, tragic beautiful storytelling and a huge aura of menace throughout.

Funeral Bell by Black Label Society
    Because Zakk Wylde, that's fucking why. And so fucking metal. Pure power-driven, whiskey-drinkin, punch-your-best-friend-in-the-face party metal.

Check my Brain by Alice in Chains
    Like I would forget the most-loved band on this board. This is my four-year-old daughter's favourite song in the world, and one of Alice's best (all their good shit was 20 years ago or more, sorry). Less dark and catchier than most their tunes, but proof that the Gods Of Old happily hand the new bands their ass even after 15 years.

10. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I'm too lazy to post a top 20 list. The 2000s were total dog shit for my genre and whenever I think of great songs I'm remembering music from 60s, 70s and 80s. For music contemporary with my age here's a few of my favorites:

- Untitled by Collective Soul
    - Skin by Incubus
    - Scar Tissue by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    - The She Goes by Six Pence None the Richer (cover)
    - Name by The Goo Goo Dolls
    - It'll Be a Long Time by The Offspring

Notice that's all 90s music. These days there's a couple bands I'm actually getting excited about.

Imagine Dragons: A band with incredible range. It never occurred to me that Radioactive and Demons were made by the same band until I looked them up online. They have no theme to their music. Every song is intense, and they do it without being emo or screaming at the microphone. Night visions is the kind of album you can just put on without thinking about which songs to skip over.

Of Monsters and Men: They don't make the kind of music I traditionally listen to, fitting more into pop/folk genre. Instead of relying on computers they make eclectic music. All of their music videos are absorbed by some sort of weird Icelandic paganism. Their lyrics are a bit silly, but they're immensely talented and one of the few bands that sound almost as good as their album version without even having a mic.

Alt Focus: Last Resort by Papa Roach

It's a song about threatening to kill yourself to get attention. The entire fucking album is like that. You can tell the band had ability when you listen to their music, but they squandered it on cutting yourself being the hippest thing since bell bottoms, and in doing so defined the era. I can only hope the leader singer someday carries out the promises he makes in his lyrics.

#10 Kampf Trinker, Jun 3, 2013
  11. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the songs in my list, NIN - Every Day is Exactly the Same, was pretty much the theme for my life at one stage a few year ago. I was stuck in a massive rut both work wise and socially and it took a long time to drag myself out of it.

The whole Frenzal Rhomb album, A man's Not a Camel was a favourite when I first joined up in Defence. Great party/drinking songs and used to get my pumped up to get smashed.

12. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe this is too off topic, so mods can delete, but my serious music listening started around 10 years ago, but dwindled off rapidly, and I rarely listen anymore.

Because this thread about important music of the last chunk of folk's lives, and obviously how and why it moves them I thought this might be germane.

I no longer listen to music because I find myself too often using music to remind me of times where I was at the top of the world, the start of college, new relationships, new jobs. However I just end up chasing the dragon, and no matter how much I try I just can't get even a fraction of that feeling back, and get frustrated, and occasionally depressed. I feel like music sometimes holds me back because it triggers some sort of primal emotion to strive for the feelings of days past, not what is to come.

Or am I just a mopey son of a bitch?

13. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Durbanite? Is that you? Why are you on kuhjager's account?

But that's interesting. There are a few songs like that for me. John Mayer-Bigger than my Body was huge summer/fall of 2003 when I started college, and more than any other song for some reason, its closely tied to memories of that first semester. So that song bums me out a bit, and I was a whiney emotional assbag over a girl later that year and listened to the Dave Matthews-Some Devil album by myself in my room and felt sorry for myself. So that also has some latent sadness attached.

That being said, I think most people have a few songs that are emotionally tied like that and I can't even imagine those preventing me from enjoying music. That primal emotion where you lose yourself in songs or where you can remember EXACTLY where you were when you heard a song for the first time is why I have a borderline addiction to music and why I'm always seeking out new music. Don't lose hope my man, it gets better...it gets better.

14. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I can't listen to Linkin Park anymore because it reminds me of being an idiot high school student.

As for my list, here's what I came up with:

Crazy – Gnarles Barkley : This song introduced me to Cee-lo green and is still my favourite from him.
    Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me – U2 : Great guitar work. One of the songs that made me want to pick up a guitar
    Scar Tissue – Red hot chili peppers : The Chilis bounced back from a weak album and delivered one of the best songs of their career.
    Kiss from a rose – Seal : I have been made fun of and laughed at for having this in my car, but I don’t care. It’s a great song and Seal nails it.
    A woman’s worth – Alicia Keys : There are a lot of great songs on Songs in A Minor, but for me, this one doesn’t get old.
    Stand inside your love – Smashing Pumpkins : My favourite pumpkin song, I really like the drums in this one.
    All falls down – Kanye West : This is one I like to listen to every once in a while because it reminds me to avoid focusing too much on material things.
    Clocks – Coldplay : I’m not really a fan, but this song and the album it’s from were good and deserve a mention.
    Neon Valley Street – Janelle Monae : I find this to be very relaxing
    Everything is everything – Lauren Hill : One of those songs to remind you that there’s light at the end of the tunnel
    Ramparts – John Frusciante : Beautiful guitar work, I wish this song was longer
    Joker and the thief – Wolfmother : Great intro and a lot of energy. This is a solid rock song.

I’m too lazy to explain the rest, but these round out my list.

Tonight – John Legend
    My favourite game – The Cardigans
    Break me shake me – Savage Garden
    Be without you – Mary J Blige
    Overcome – Live
    Just because – Jane’s Addiction
    Set fire to the rain – Adele
    Novacane – Frank Ocean

15. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since my early teens, it seemed all I wanted to do was Rock & Roll All Night, and Party Everyday.
    I spent many, many years wasting away in Margaritaville,
    Enjoying that feeling of being Comfortably Numb.
    I turned to booze and drugs to Gimme Shelter from the realities of life.
    But eventually, my life just went all Helter Skelter.
    It seemed like I'd had my 19th Nervous Breakdown, and felt like A Man of Constant Sorrow.
    So, 5 years ago last night, I swallowed a bottle of pills trying to Break On Through to the Other Side,
    I wasn't sure if I was on the Highway to Hell or if I'd be Knockin' on Heaven's Door.
    But, I survived it and ended up in a psych hospital, and that place was just Crazy.
    I started to put my life back together, and returned to school and had this smokin' professor in one of my classes.
    I don't mind telling you that I was Hot For Teacher.
    I earned my master's degree, and now lead a life that's somewhat more Respectable,
    But When I'm Sixty-Four, I'll still be Crazy After All These Years.
    This is the End.

16. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

17. thevoice

thevoice
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Focus: This is going to be an incredibly mixed bag dating back to 1993. Am I proud of all of these? No. But am I honest to a fault?

Wonderwall - Oasis - The very first album I every bought with my allowance was "What's the Story Morning Glory." When I was in the fifth and sixth grade I would listen to the entire album again and again, having no fucking clue what most of the songs/lyrics meant.

The World I Know - Collective Soul - The first video I ever remember watching on Much Music (In Canada). Still to this day I am a big fan of this group, and will always remember them as my 'first favorite band.'

Slide - Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up The Girl was my go-too album in Grades 8 and 9. There wasn't a single song on that record that I didn't like. Slide was the one that I liked the most, followed closely by Iris, Black Balloon and Acoustic #3.

Back 2 Good - Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You was another important album in my life, and this song for whatever reason hit home the most.

Never Let You Go - Third Eye Blind - This song will forever remind me of my first serious girlfriend. We dated for almost all of Grade 11 before a pretty bad summer breakup, at least by highschool standards.

That's Why God Made Mexico - Tim McGraw - My country phase started in Grade 12 shortly after a trip to Mexico. This song not only reminds me of that trip, but also reminds me of the many nights I spent with my group of friends.

Woke Up This Morning - Nickelback - One of the songs from "Silverside Up" that I would blare in my car, bedroom, backyard, or any other place that would allow it. Still to this day my favorite Nickelback song, and one that actually holds true to their original rock roots and not the water-downed shite they play today.

I Wish You Were Here - Incubus - The summer of 2003 was an important summer for me in many respects. This song really hits home.

I'm About to Come Alive - Train - College had officially started, and right as I was starting the next chapter of my life, I was really hung up on a girl from out-of-town who toyed me around pretty good. This song reminds me of that ordeal.

Away From the Sun - Three Doors Down - Before meeting my wife, the longest relationship I had ever been in was one of two years and this song was a very significant one during that period of time in my life. A lot of firsts, a lot of major ups and downs.

The Grace - Neverending White Lights - I can't tell you how many late night drives my friend Jay and I would take together and we would play this song again and again.

It's Like Me - Kutless - I was out on my own living 10 hours from home and it was this was my go-too song. Whether I was happy or lonesome, this song always made it better.

Let it Rock - Kevin Rudolf - When I moved to Saskatchewan and really got got my broadcast career cooking, this song was a favorite for our entire hockey team.

Notion - Kings of Leon - At age 24 I started to really hit my stride professionally and socially an this song hits home.

Smile - Uncle Cracker - It makes me think of my Mom who passed away from cancer in the summer of 2010.

Club Can't Handle Me - David Guetta - Summer nights with friends in Saskatoon.

Anything But Mine - Kenny Chesney - This song makes me wonder about 'what might have been.'

Til I Collapse - Eminem ft. Nate Dogg - My first hockey broadcast at the next level. This was the song our team played on the bus as we got close to the rink.

River of Love - George Strait - The first song my wife and I danced too.

Radioactive - Imagine Dragons - My favorite song today.

18. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1. Mark Knopfler: The Long Road
    This was the recessional song at our wedding, and it’s been played at nearly every family funeral since I discovered it in 1986, and anywhere else a calming yet interesting song is needed. I’m sure it will be used at my own funeral.

2. Dire Straits: Tunnel of Love
    Great song about summer relationships. My biggest memory of it was playing it on the way to my first prom.

3. Bob Seger: Night Moves
    Another song about high school relationships.

4. Gerry Rafferty: Baker Street
    This is just a great song that I remember from my childhood/teen years.

5. AC/DC: Shoot to Thrill
    I went with my cousin to buy AC/DC’s “Back in Black” when it came out in 1980. I didn’t appreciate them back then, but I realized as a teenager that it was one of the greatest albums of all time.

6. Violent Femmes: Add It Up
    “Why can’t I get just one fuck?”

7. Robert Plant: Little By Little
    This song was playing a lot when I took driver’s ed in 1985.

8. Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms
    Another 1985 song, and also on the first cassette tape I ever bought. I listened to that tape over and over on the way to my uncle’s funeral. He had died of a heart attack at age 41.

9. Garry Lee and Showdown: The Rodeo Song
    If you don’t know this song, your life is incomplete.

10. Tom “T-Bone” Stankus: Existential Blues
    My friends and I used to all listen to Dr. Demento on Sunday nights and talk about it at lunch on Mondays. This was one of my favorite songs from then.

11. Harold Faltermeyer: Axel F
    Nothing to do with Eddie Murphy or BHC. This song was used throughout the 1985 Indy 500 highlights show. That was the year Danny Sullivan spun out and went on to win. I have vivid memories of Paul Page narrating that show. The 500 is not the same without his voice.

12. Tom Petty: Best of Everything
    A song about the girl who got away.

13. Guns n’ Roses: One in a Million
    “I’m a small-town white boy, just trying to make ends meet.”

14. The Cure: Disintegration
    The best song on The Cure’s best album.

15. NIN: Down in It
    Ah, college. I tried to be good, honest. “I was up above it; now I’m down in it.”

16. My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult: These Remains
    Many of the Thrill Kill Kult's earlier songs were musically and lyrically profound. This is one of their best songs. I didn't like their newer material.

17. Talking Heads: This Must Be the Place
    Just a happy song that makes me appreciate my wife and family.

18. U2: Exit
    A good man who has to do something bad. I would do this for my kids, and they know it.

19. Mark Knopfler: Hill Farmer’s Blues
    The studio version of this song is good, but the live version is so much better. The first time I ever heard it live was during his 2010 tour. I had taken my family to see him in St. Louis because it was the closest show to Georgia on that tour. I had never heard the song live and was blown away by the performance. The memory of watching my favorite musician surrounded by the four most important people in my life is still almost life-like.

20. The Who: Baba O’Reilly
    When our youngest was 8 my wife came to me and asked “Why the hell is our daughter singing 'Teenage wasteland, it’s only teenage wasteland’ over and over?” Well, because I've taught her to appreciate great music.

19. Jay-Bird

Jay-Bird
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

i'm way too drunk to break down a proper list of 20 songs that may have defined the last 20 years of my life, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't do it sober either.

I don't want to hate on the thread, because I am way down to see how music has affected peoples lives throughout the years. However, Every single month of every year since I was old enough to recognize good music has influenced my life. So to lay down 20 tracks that would be definitive, would be like asking Hitler to list off the 20 least favorite Jews that made him hate the whole race so much.

I'm sure the audiophiles would agree with me. It's an impossible task.