Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Pet Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 21, 2009.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

More current examples of her long memory and holding hurts close to her heart. My husband threw a ball in the yard that bounced up and came down on her head. This was 2 years ago. She no longer plays ball outside. I set up a hot wire on the fence because she was barking at the goats on the other side and boards were pulling out of their screws. She got shocked once and wouldn't go into the main grass for another 2 years. She does a perimeter walk.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Buddy was stoned off his ass when we picked him up from the dentist. He went under for a dental cleaning and got Morphin too.

He has been really stiff and limping as of late. He's always had bad hips, one side is atrophied. Well turns out it seems to be more neurological in origin. He got a ketamine injection yesterday and is going on gabapentin. I was so sure his hips were done, but he is moving a lot more fluidly with the treatment. Even if you're sure, talk to your vet! It's amazing what they can do to give comfort to your pets.

IMG_20221109_061340_(1500_x_1200_pixel).jpg

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Zoe turned 9 months today. 78lbs.

71D45560-8A18-430D-A6BE-572B059CCD15.jpeg

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Zoe is now almost 10 months, and 80lbs.

Her doggy daycare that she attends 3 days a week has an instagram account, and it's awesome.

Here she is from earlier today.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 5.29.20 PM.jpg

5. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's always awesome to see a GSD chilling with other dogs. They often get a bad rap from examples that weren't socialized and trained and turn into asshole dogs.

Every single person in the neighborhood was terrified of Gus until he showed them what he was about.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep. Zoe has now been one of the few dogs to make friends with a new, shy border collie that showed up... but she's now BFFs... running, howling, wrestling with her. The staff love her and keep commenting on just how different she is from the other sheps they've had there.

The only real thing they had to get over was her very strong small animal prey drive... for the first little while, she wanted to eat the small dogs, so was only allowed to play with the big dogs. She's now grown out of that phase, thankfully.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Zoe wishes you all a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year! 678588C5-38D8-426B-9B18-1CB2CC7B3B05.jpeg

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Some of us are enjoying the blizzard.

837DDA3F-089C-46EA-B029-503F9C49E2AE.jpeg

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We got our first really snow today, i hope it doesn't turn to slush by the time i get off work so my old girl can go have some fun.

10. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We got 10 to 12 inches of the wet nastiest snow. It took me and the wife about 2.5 hours to shovel our driveway. We thought why not let the dog run around and enjoy herself? Well after a hour we weren't paying attention, and there was no dog. So we go looking for her, she comes back a couple minutes later after being called. She looks the happiest i have ever seen her, just free roaming enjoying the snow. Normally i dont let her off leash and she is still to much husky and likes to wonder, but the town basically shut down because of how much snow. But after we called her back and her looking all happy, we put her inside and she passed the fuck out. It was the best.

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our formerly wonderful and well behaved dog is becoming an asshole. Apparently dogs hit the "terrible twos" just like a toddler. He's had to go back into his crate when we're not here, and a stern "no" just isn't cutting it anymore when he misbehaves. He's a very mouthy dog and actually "talks back" ( I should get video ). SO I ordered a training collar with the hopes that the vibrate feature is enough. He's done really well with the invisible fence collar so I think this will be a good tool along with POSITIVE reinforcement when he does well.

Hey @Nettdata how's your pup doing?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

She is now 100% back to normal... has maybe 2 days of meds left (an antibiotic, anti-nausea, and a stomach coating liquid), but she's back to being a full-time dog.

She was also really, really happy to have me come home after 2 weeks.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

14. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My wife is a way this week for union training stuff. At the bottom of the stairs is our main entry way. Last night this was how the dog was laying, staring at the door.

20230208_200959.jpg

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just a note, a lot of dogs find the vibrate mode to be far more adversive than the shock feature. You may have to use the mode that is more suitable, even if it feels worse to you.

For me, a training collar is a last resort tool and should only be used for one or two very specific behaviors (some people in the dog communities use them for prey-driven dogs only to break their prey focus, for example). To be honest, "no" is typically a difficult command for dogs anyway because they struggle to generalize things - very few dogs will "get" a universal word that is a command for, "don't do what you're doing right now." It's one of the reasons why the training collars are often destructive to the training process; the dogs have trouble connecting a variety of behaviors with the single adversive event of the collar going off. It can cause them to become distrustful of you and frightened of the collar rather than understanding the correction.

Invisible fence collars have a very clear and singular cause/effect, so it's easier for dogs to learn without fear.

You know your dog, so I'm not trying to judge, just providing some experience. Finding specific corrections for specific behaviors, and substitute behaviors, might help. E.g. if he jumps up on people who come in, you teach a sit or a bring a toy trick as a substitute behavior.

They definitely can turn into assholes right after the puppy stage, though. Good luck!

16. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh I understand, and appreciate your input!

Truth is, we haven’t needed to use the vibrate mode after that one time. He doesn’t like the audible tone at all, and last I used it, didn’t even put it on him. Just grabbed the collar, hit the tone, and he immediately stopped the unwanted behavior.

Funny enough, I was thinking of returning it, but then the little asshole got hold of and chewed on it.

Overall though, his behavior is far better. Partly because of the collar, but the weather being so unusually warm means more exercise, which is taking some of the piss and vinegar out of him

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've needed a new dog for a few years now. Like everything else big I let the anxiety of the decision win. Ive been stopping by Petland ever so often because there is one right next to the big forreign grocer I got to. Probably 5-6 times in the past year. Wasnt until my last time I actually enquired about a price of a dog. Cute frenchie. 6500 DOLLARS. Completely gobsmacked by what they charge, nothing was under 4500 bucks. Girl boss had her spiel down pat and was snooty when I enquired what the hell justified the price. "These are from the top %5 of breeders, you get their papers, 3 year hereditary issue warranty, and a crate, leash, and chew toys to get you started." There was also some insurance scheme where you get that money put towards your next dog once that one dies.

Guess Ill just be window shopping there from now on. Ill take my chances with a backyard breeder if I want something "purebred." I might, might, push 2k for a dog if it was a working breed (been thinking about a hunting dog). Otherwise, people are out of their minds for paying used car prices for a companion dog.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's something weird about frenchies commanding insane prices. Someone here kidnapped Lady Gaga's frenchies cause apparently there's enough of a frenchie black market to make that kinda thing worth the effort. Literally a two man crew jumped out of a car and grabbed the dogs from Gaga's dogwalker. Shot him when he resisted. Car prices are through the roof, and it's apparently still a more attractive play to attempt a frenchie-jacking than a carjacking.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We have a rich friend who spent 10k a piece on his three frenchies. One of them died within 3 years of a hereditary disease and I think they are still trying to get their money back from the breeder for it.

Maybe it's just inflation but I had never thought pure breds often went for more than 2k. I was so disgusted at Petland I didnt even ask about the multi-poo MUTT price. My girlfriend spent 400 on some type of poo dog and I still think it was too much.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, Zoe was $3.5k Cdn from a breeder that specializes in pure bread German Shepherds that mostly go to police and security companies, and have a lineage known to be free of hip dysplacia, to the point that they have a 5 year warranty against it.