Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Pet Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 21, 2009.

1. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So...last week my wife found a dog on the local shelter's page that needed a home...our other dog Pela has welcomed him into our home

Welcome Alfred aka Alfie to our fam:
    20210711_144432_copy_2016x954.jpg
    The shelter wouldn't release him unless he was neutered, so he's sporting a cone of shame till he's healed....he also has some skin issues so its helping out in that regard as well. It should come off by the end of this week.

2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you TiB dog owners have a recommendation for a good pet blanket?
    Our senior cat is on the tail end of life #9, I think. Messes outside the box are more common. We currently have couch covers that work well, but they’re the ones that have the little “wings” that drape over the arms, but can still have open spots in the corners, and theyre not sized quite right for our big sectional. I’d much rather just get some big giant blankets so it’s a full coverage thing, as stupid as it might look.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We are replacing our "pet covers" (they honestly fucking suck) with a set of these, delivery is next week: https://www.target.com/p/farmhouse-basketweave-loveseat-slipcover-gray---sure-fit/-/A-53824348
    Our upstairs couches are like a tweed fabric, and they are a hair magnet. I'm just over it.

Downstairs we have leather, dogs are not allowed on them unless we have a blanket spread out. We have 3 blankets that I believe my mother acquired for me as a roadside recover (aka she picked them out of someone's trash) that are huge, nonfunctional electric blankets. They are perfect for how we use them. I'm not sure of the size but they seem bigger than queen, are super soft, and double layered due to the wiring inside. I think the material would be described as "microplush." They would definitely hold a mess if there was an accident.

edit: I think this is the product or very close to what we have, blue in king x3
    https://www.target.com/p/microplush...s/-/A-52512116?preselect=83870708#lnk=sametab

#1483 bewildered, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  4. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the suggestions - I think what we’re looking for is the specific “waterproof” blankets, but I’ve seen reviews all across the spectrum, so I didn’t know if anybody here had some experience with any.
    Our couch covers have the waterproof lining, they’re just kinda frump-a-dump. If it’s gonna be that anyway, a blanket will give it total coverage.

5. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Always sleeping on the job.
    RUCA NAPTIME ON THE JOB.jpeg

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The baby is practicing walking the dog.

[​IMG]

7. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I posted in the R&R Thread that we had to take our cat into the vet on Thursday to have it put down. The morning of, he was unable to eat his food/meds for the second day in a row, even with real tuna mixed in (it worked magically the day before). I was helping him into the litter box nearly every time, and that last time he stepped out, then paused, turned to go back in, stumbled and smacked his head on the side of the box. That was when I knew it was time. I was a crying mess all morning while we waited for the vet appointment, but my wife was the strong one, and just treated Ray like she always did.
    The vet is a great guy, and he explained the biological issues and essentially said that no further treatment is going to get ahead of the diseases. Ray had hyperthyroidism, with IBS and most likely that had turned into lymphoma. These specifics were only figured out within the last few months, so everything was too far along.
    My wife was okay until we had to make the decision. But as hard as it was to do, she was so strong about it. I was worried about her, and she was petting Ray and saying all the stuff she’d say to him.
    I wish we could’ve gotten into the new house on schedule so he’d been able to have more room to cat around, but we couldn’t have him living in pain.

His health issues had him peeing on the couch, shitting on the floor, and waking me up hourly every night, and I always said “I can’t wait until you’re dead,” but it was always just hollow talk. I wish I’d known what exactly what was wrong so we could’ve started good meds earlier, but I’m glad he’s not suffering now.

Here’s two pictures of Ray (tabby/white) and his sister Izzy (flamepoint) - when we first got Izzy, and a few weeks ago.Izzy’s a whole other story, she’s diabetic and gets insulin shots twice daily.

Thank you for all the kind reps, TiBers.

5BBC1236-1DE4-40B7-B414-A07413A0F732.jpeg
    8D496C25-F10C-4768-A4B4-7AED0CB25BBF.jpeg

8. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Happy Halloween from Finli, the dragon lizard; Rodney, the skeleton; and Ray Lewis, the big banana.

Attached Files:

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Happy Halloween from my two cats who don’t give a shit that it’s Halloween, just that there are birds in the tree.

B7CA1DB4-FF6F-47FC-BBA0-BEBA9A9F00A1.jpeg

10. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Happy Belated Halloween

130DCB98-0AA8-4B76-A33E-105D348F1C45.jpeg

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

C9204445-5653-455B-935D-6316D53018EF.jpeg
    He looks innocent enough, but this little shit is a chewing machine. Those toys that are “indestructible”? Child’s play to him.

In addition to destroying his toys he likes to chew on things like TV remotes, phones, etc. if you take your eye off of him for more than a minute. I’ve sprayed them with butter apple, done all the discipline things the experts say to do, etc. He gets crated to ensure the house isn’t destroyed when we’re gone.

He just turned one, so we’re hoping he outgrows this soon. It’s a good thing I love him.

12. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

930B1A74-2121-4F99-AAF8-EE9D805E3B94.jpeg D50287F8-DD13-4C92-8F39-D2939B2A91A3.jpeg
    Heimdall and Odin.
    I’m sad to say the pandemic has really negatively impacted their social skills but we’ll get there I hope.

13. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My boy Isbjørn in his old life and his new life.

WbN3w7y.jpeg

14. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He thinks he died and went to doggie Heaven!

15. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was he a former sled dog? Looks like your giving him a happy life regardless.

16. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, he was one of my sled dogs who had to retire young, so he moved back to sweden with me.

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20220131_214954.jpg

Slowly over 2 years this cat(grasshopper) like scratches a little more and more as time goes on. But this is the first time he has ever fell asleep on anyone. His brother basically waits for you to sit down to crawl onto your lap.

18. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This fucking dog of ours....

He has a lot of energy and we walk at LEAST a mile a day, often more, depending on the weather. But still he needs to blow off some steam. So I took a chance and started letting him run in the yard, playing ball, etc. And until recently he's stayed in the area we play in no problem. But more and more he's wandering off and all the sudden won't come when called. I don't know why, as he's bonded to me and usually very responsive. Tonight was the last straw, as I watched him nearly get hit by a car not once but twice until I could get my hands on him.

Our yard is too big for a fence and Invisible Fence, while an option, isn't a perfect solution. Once they're through it, then what? So this little asshole just got himself back to being confined to a leash.

Don't get me wrong, I love him to death. But honestly to God, some days...

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 5.46.12 PM.png

19. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Talking about dog walking. Our normal route was about 3.5KM or 2miles, twice a day. Just before our nasty as winter hit we noticed our dog was starting to limp a bit. So we turned down the walk to about 2.5km or 1.5 miles. And it was great no more limping. Wasn't sure if that was just a coincidence or not so it started getting nice a few weeks ago so one Saturday i did the 2 walks at the normal route of 3.5km. Then the next day we notice a bit of limping. So ok so it looks like the longer walks are causing a bit of issues. No big deal. Then the other day i go to take her for a walk and notice very minor limping i get back home and ask the wife if she took the dog for a longer walk, she accidentally did. So now i am very certain that the longer walks are causing the limping.

Oh well she is around 13.5 year old husky mix, she is doing great for her age. Her age was bound to catch up to her eventually.

20. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This guy is still coming to our house for treats and food. Now he has a worsening, apparently untreated, skin condition. At what point do y'all call the authorities and have the dog taken from the owner? I'm not too worried about our dog getting it, we started more baths with medicinal shampoo to prevent it on him. I just feel sorry for this dog.

I am, however, worried that the owner will take revenge on our dog if we call animal control. It's winter and there aren't many other homeowners around to spread the suspicion around and away from us.

Screenshot_20220301-105333-911.png