Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Pet Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

"The Stairs"

0P3A0103.jpeg

0P3A0105.jpeg

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The cats are out in full hunting mode these days as things warm up and nature wakes up.

Playing with the camera, and all three of these pics are from the same single image:

0P3A0184.jpg

0P3A0184 1.jpg

0P3A0184 2.jpg

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

While your cats are practicing their hunting game, this girl is practicing her domestication game.

[​IMG]

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nah, it's cold out today... they're in bed too.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.17.05 PM.jpg

5. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Despite saying no more dogs after our last one died in Jan. 2020, we decided maybe we would think about another. Our younger some and I went to visit a pup we saw online and, well...

4B872650-DF90-4073-9D28-6CFF1DB825EA.jpeg
    He’s a really loving little guy, and despite being skittish while he settles in, certainly took to the couch in a hurry.

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a sweet pitbull coming to our house from the neighbor's. He got the dog from his son. Someone was planning on fighting this dog, his ears are cut down to nubs. It also looks like it was done poorly or when he was older. It's a shame, too, cause the dog is so loving and playful with our German shepherd. I hate people. Screenshot_20210528-180153~2.png

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People that do that to animals should be shot.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is being to kind to them.

9. tweetybird

tweetybird
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Get ready to become pitbull obsessed. They’re the most loyal, snuggly, silly dogs in the world. I truly think mine would kill herself trying to protect me, and her favorite spot is anywhere that is as in my lap as possible.

We adopted our first one in 2014 out of bleeding heart concern (shelters are full of ‘em etc.) and then just genuinely fell in love with the breed.

Also nothing more hilarious than the double takes I get walking a pitbull (since I am classic 30something basic white bitch in head to toe lululemon).

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Id always be weary of adopting a rescue pit if you have children. An unknown history of how it was treated, particularly if it was a true fighting dog, seems like a recipe for disaster. Big responsibility the ongoing training and vigilance needed in rescues. Even non rescues requires a lot more energy than I think newbies anticipate in terms of on going training. I think a lot of people just seem them as dogs like any dog they had growing up. Pits and german shepherds arent golden retrievers, there is a decent amount that goes into raising them. I got my non rescue pit as a puppy and even then I didnt socialize her properly with other dogs. Rough house play turned into fights 2-3 times at the dog park with small dogs so I stopped going. I constantly had to stay on guard while walking and taking her out because just the worry of the possibility of something going wrong was always in the back of my mind. Ive decided not to go with pits for my next dog because of this. Want something low maintenance I dont have to stress that I may have left the door open. Though, Im currently enraptured with Doberman's because a neighbor has one and friend used to breed them had amazing dogs. DOH!

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

This is just true in general, and I have really good dogs. You have to be on your toes and very cautious with merging children and dogs. We have a pit mix and a Heinz 57. The pit mix is great with kids because she is silly, sweet and playful, but my bumbly toddler makes her nervous because the baby falls on her unpredictability. It was better when the baby was less mobile. They still are together quite a bit during the day, supervised, but the moment the dog seems nervous I separate them.

The Heinz 57 is totally a doormat but we don't abuse that. The dogs need time to relax and not worry about a bumbly baby.

Once kiddo can throw a ball, though.... It'll be game on.

12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, we're definitely concerned with triggering something in him that makes him fight. It took us months to gain his trust and actually get close enough to pet him. It started with putting a bone or treat on the ground and backing away so he thought he could get it safely. During that time our GS would go over to the neighbor's house and go inside and hang out. Now the pit has really opened up and will come into our house for treats. Besides his owner, I think we're the only ones in the neighborhood that he will interact with.

He's not scarred up, with the exception of the ears, I don't think he has actually been used in a fight.

Our German shepherd gets called the sweetest dog in the neighborhood. I was against the breed in the beginning, because every GS I had ever been around was an asshole. The wife insisted on getting one. Like y'all said, you have to socialize and put in the time and work to train them their entire lives.

He's not our rescue or adoption. But when he comes over, I'll certainly try to make him feel safe, loved, and that his bad days are behind him. The wife fills his belly with treats and canned food and sends him back home with a big bone. His owner treats him good, too.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

You guys are so awesome. He sounds like a sweet boy who just needs socialization and love. The fact that he plays well with your dog is a good sign too. Keep it up, you will have a friend for life.

Kinda reminds me of when we picked up our Heinz 57 boy at the shelter. Buddy wouldn't give me eye contact for about 6 months. He has scars all over his legs and face. I don't think he was fought, but I do think he was in dog fights and occasionally fought live cats and chickens for food. He was a little leash reactive. Now, the wrinkles have been smoothed out and he is the most devoted dog you'll ever meet.

Dogs are amazing.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Jungle Kitty. The reason I don’t cut one end if the back yard.

64462269296__EA25A23A-6C40-4879-B744-A909CD33FA8C.jpeg

#1474 Nettdata, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And bird catcher.

IMG_8938.jpeg

#1475 Nettdata, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

When I die, I want to come back as one of my cats.

0659D459-855B-4166-8237-8BDF5D654A10.jpeg

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I had the nerve to watch her jump for yellow flowers bouncing in the wind. How dare I. EA49FAAC-5F2A-425B-8B00-9D6EED708F84.jpeg

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's been a little hot for the last few days...

IMG_9114.jpeg

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Just a quick grooming.

[​IMG]

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Welp, google photo just won't work here so I'll stop trying that. Imgur to the rescue.

[​IMG]