Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Pet Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And? Don't leave us hanging here ffs.

2. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's been somewhat of a whirlwind with her as forgot just how energitic springers are. (Made that much better due to not being allowed out yet due to vaccinations)

Skye has settled in well and is incredibly intelligent and playful, though she as still yet to learn that the cats are in charge.

Attached Files:

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20201107_193232.jpg

The dog decided to get comfortable for about half a movie the other night.

4. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Daisy is still trying to figure out how to dog without Duke around. We’ve been taking her for walks and the like, but...she’s off her food and very not herself.
    It hasn’t been a week yet, so we are not too concerned (but are watchful) but I think if it stretches beyond three weeks or so I’m going to get worried about her.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So having that stray/wanderer cat for a little bit made us realize that we miss having a cat.
    These two sisters popped up on a local FB page and well, they're now ours.
    Names TBD

Attached Files:

6. tweetybird

tweetybird
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As I posted in somewhat distraught fashion, we said goodbye to our pittie at the end of June. Her successor just moved in a couple weeks ago and has made herself right at home. She's 4, so none of the puppy shenanigans, and sweet as can be. It is SO good to have a dog again!

97D5B947-01E1-4527-AF66-B93CEC8CED28.jpeg

7. madamsquirrel

madamsquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

20201029_220452.jpg sharkhead nachos and I were adopted by this guy 3 weeks ago. He showed up and we tried to find his owners if he had any (unsuccessfully). He has made himself right at home like we are his people and he has always lived here. We named him Woodford and call him Woody.

8. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First timer rehoming cats of this age (8 months). How long does it take for them to be acclimated? One comes out from under the bed a little but *anything* spooks her and she's gone. We have not seen the other one leave the safety of the bed other than one time when I woke up in the middle of the night and she was eating. The look on her face was pure terror and zoomed back under the bed. Is this normal?

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Totally normal.

Can take a couple weeks for them to be comfortable in my experience.

10. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our cat Ponyo was like this and it really took a while for her to not be as anxious and scared. When my wife and I moved in together (when we adopted our cats, they lived with my wife at first) it probably took a number of months before she really got comfortable and wouldn't bolt as soon as we came in a room. In fact, when we first got her, she burrowed herself underneath the mat in my wife's bathroom and we just had a mobile bathmat for a few weeks.

Now? She's a total, shameless cuddlebug. Most mornings I wake up, she's draped across me purring up a storm. And we would have to shove a bowl of food under our bed because she would hide when we would feed her and didn't want her sister to eat her food. Now we have the opposite problem. We have to give Ponyo a double portion to distract her long enough so her sister can eat in peace.

Granted, she'll still bolt anytime I sneeze and rarely comes out when people come over, but she has exponentially improved since we first got her. It was a long hard road, but totally worth it.

11. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

GTE, you have some catching up to do, but that is normal. I had a 2 year old male cat spend his first two weeks under a chest. We were all wondering how he even fit under it. They will figure it out and then the real fun starts when you are trying to watch a game with popcorn and a kitty is trying for your attention.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My only real piece of advice is to totally ignore them. Don't make eye contact, don't try to call them over... just ignore them and let them come to you on their own.

If you've ever had a room full of people, with one of them not liking cats, and then the cat seems to magically go to that person when it enters the room? Well, it's because all the other people are probably looking at and trying to interact with the cat.

Play hard to get, and it will probably go faster for you.

13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Over the course of the first 2-3 days, one cat has slowly come out from under the bed, would let us pet her a little and head back. Starting to get a little more confident, rolls around in the living room, plays with toys etc. Still a pet only cat and not a lap cat. The other one just moved from hiding spot to hiding spot. Until last night that is. It's like she thought "Fuck this. They're not hurting my sister and I'd really like some friends" and within an hour of venturing out from under the bed in front of us, she became a total lap cat.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm going on 4(?) years with my cat that showed up under my Jeep one winter, and he's STILL not a lap cat. So yeah... that may never happen, and you're lucky it did. Sounds like the adjustment is going well. Congrats!

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We adopted 2 brothers at 8 weeks old. They were brought to the shelter as new borns I think. We have had them for over a year now. One is such a lap cat, the other is still skiddish as all hell. Any loud noise or sudden movement he runs, most the time we don't even know where he is. I have just gotten to the point that he doesn't mind being picked up for a minute once and a while and the other night he actually jumped up on the couch beside me for a couple of minutes.

16. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently we needed another female in this house. Meet Paisley. She's super chill and is getting along great with my four year old daughter.

Attached Files:

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just put up the Xmas tree. One if the cats is enjoying it.

4A5948DE-728E-4F62-92D5-78DF8095B74F.jpeg

18. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The cats enjoying the new cat tower. They are still very slightly skittish with any quick moves but other than that, they've really come around

Attached Files:

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's been a rough and traumatic day for one of the cats.

We got about a foot of snow overnight:

l1.jpeg

She didn't take it well:

lilly.jpeg

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is a serious chonker.