Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Pet Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Guys there were big dramas here at Christmas. Each dog got a large (for him) rawhide bone from Santa. This very quickly turned into an OCD spiral for Rodney, who realized he was unable to eat all of them in one go and had to therefore bury them all.

He took to obsessively burying them in all the beds, couches, blankets and any other soft area he could find. He buried so many bone pieces that he rubbed his nose raw and it bled all over the bed.

Finally, he made a fatal flaw:

Attached Files:

2. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

That ^ is Rodney trying to bury a bone on top of the couch, failing, and dropping it on Finli. Finli then decided the bone should be his.

Attached Files:

3. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

And Rodney was left bereft.

Attached Files:

4. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pela wants to say hello
    20190111_184420.jpg

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My dogs are the cutest, especially this one. He has been enjoying frolicking in the snow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can someone interpret this behavior?
    We have ducklings. We are working with the dogs and they understand to drop their attention away from the ducklings when told to "leave it." Buddy will have to be trained more to calm down around them and eventually ignore them. He has a history of being a stray and very likely eating animals to survive.
    Piggy is a very intense and alert dog and I am having trouble interpreting her interest. Socially she is very submissive and tends to be playful. She is highly trainable and smart. She was definitely salivating around them but that stopped by day 3. She likes to just look at them and will go check them out if they are particularly noisy. Sometimes she is wagging her tail, sometimes not. She watches them intently when we are in the garden and the dogs are on the other side of the fence. We currently have the ducks inside in a 50gal rubbermade bin used as a brooder downstairs. It is currently covered because they are getting big and about to outgrow it totally, but at first it was not. She often can be found at the brooder watching the ducks. One night about 10 days after we got the ducklings my husband woke up before his alarm about 6:30 or 7am and realized Piggy was not in the room with us. She was downstairs standing at the open brooder with her face in the corner just watching the ducklings. He thinks she was there all night.
    Like I said, she's a very alert dog. I'm assuming if she really wanted to eat them it would be done. We are doing this in baby steps as much as possible, but I am a bit perplexed over her behavior. I am leaning towards whatever it is, being benign, but I'm no fool either. I think we may try some training once they are bigger with her on the leash with a mesh muzzle to see how she acts. I don't know if them running will set her off (though during play she enjoys being chased, not chasing). From what I am reading about LGDs, I don't think she'll be able to truly be trained in that capacity. She also is in no part any breed of dog known for being a livestock guardian. But, it would be nice if she could eventually be trusted to watch them in the yard without a person around. Thoughts?

7. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ten months...she's getting big:
    20190414_150517-1152x864.jpg