Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Pet Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It snowed a lot, and the cat didn’t feel like trecking out to the bushes.

125B6B49-9901-4411-90AD-029824B4937A.jpeg 03CF3CE4-4A1C-435A-8637-3053118282C0.jpeg

Fucker shat on my deck.

2. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Ruca is doing some serious teething. Any advice outside of a frozen towel and/or ice cubes?

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We got piggy as an older puppy, around nine months or so. She wasn't actively teething that badly but she is a very mouthy breed. We had pretty good luck redirecting her with nylabones and rawhides. Supposedly the nylabones are different flavors, not sure if that helps maintain interest.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

We had a Golden that would start to chew chair or table legs, so we just spritzed it all with a Bitters and water mixture from a spray bottle.

[​IMG]

He stopped chewing on that stuff and stuck to his proper chew toys.

5. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Oh. No no. She's not chewing on anything that isn't hers and never has (thank god). Her gums are red and swollen and some days her little cheeks feel hot like she's running a fever due to teething. I can just tell that some day's it's worse than others because she's mopey and clingy. She lost three teeth on Sunday alone with some help from me. I know we'll both be glad when she's done.

6. ponygirl

ponygirl
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Kong toys - stuffed with peanut butter or other yumminess and frozen. Kong also makes squeaker tug toys out of ballistic firehouse. My dogs go apeshit for the Wubba. Nylabones - there are are few levels of durability, but a shitload of flavors and shapes. They even have an allergen free peanut butter one for food allergy pups. PetSafe Busy Buddy Toys - multiple sizes and shapes, and come with rawhide chew rings you put on them. Tuffy has some pretty durable stuffed toys as well. Other than a few random finds, these are the only brands that last longer than 30 seconds with these idiots: Pittie Pack.jpg

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Kong is definitely the best in terms of durability. I can't give mine any of those puzzle balls because they are hard plastic and she will crack them open. Tennis balls are no good because she will rip the felt off, though Kong makes some that are better. This is her favorite ball we've bought her. I think there is something tantalizing about the visible squeaker inside the clear ball. This is not kong brand but has been just as durable. We have about 5 of these in various places and she tends to hoard them and carry them around when she finds them.

At this point we have 4 types of toys that constantly maintain her interest: Cleverpet hub makes her play for her food, nylabones for chewing, ropes for pulling, and that ball I linked above for chasing in the yard.

8. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Almost 6 months old. She is one dark chocolate lab. That's the first thing people comment on.
    . RUCA DECK CLOSE UP.jpg
    Please excuse the half deconstructed deck rip out to patio project.

9. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Went out grocery shopping today and went to a specialty store to get some good cheese and meats... and near there is a good nursery, so I stopped in to get some potting and seeding soil. Turns out they had small catnip plants, so I picked up a couple.

I come home, take the grocery bags up to the kitchen, and then turn around... not 20 seconds after walking through the door...

IMG_4888-1.jpeg

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Dive bomber.

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Ruca got her flu shot (booster) on Saturday. She'll go back in 2-3 weeks for the second and last one. Canine Influenza is a real thing. The vet and owner of her daycare recommended it. Especially since she is around a lot of other dogs a few days a week. Just a heads up guys.

13. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20180120_140156.jpg
    Dog likes to sleep in my daughters tent when she isn't playing in it.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep, it's cold and snowing like a bitch outside.

IMG_4930.jpeg

(I can't say too much, as I took this pic from my desk where I'm pleasantly working with a special coffee)

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yes, I'm cooking bacon. No you may not have any.[​IMG]

16. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need some cat help. I have an outdoor/indoor cat who even in the middle of winter has gotten 6 ticks on her in the last 2 days. Over the summer I was pulling 2 minimum a day off of her. She got more ticks on her in one summer than every pet I have ever had combined in their lifetimes.

Is there some safe medication like advantage for ticks? She loses at least a collar a month so tick collars (which don' breakaway) aren't really an option.

17. ponygirl

ponygirl
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Bravecto topical - lasts for 12 weeks. Call your vet for more info, as it's prescription only. Frontline Plus topical, depending on your location. Doesn't work worth a goddamn in the south.

18. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Ruca's 6 month older brother from the previous litter was sent home from doggie daycare today with kennel cough. He's had all of his shots but sometimes they don't work. Anyone have any experience with it?

Sidenote: NOT where Ruca goes. It's in a close but different city and they have not been around each other since September. Thank goodness.

19. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The shots for kennel cough are like flu shots for people... they tend to help but you can still catch the flu if you have had the shot. It is just less likely and usually less severe. They can also start to wear off before they are due for the next round.
    (Info from my vet when my dog caught a very light case of it even though his shot were up to date.)

20. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Yeah. She said he's on 9 antibiotic pills a day along with a 7 day quarantine. My vet said if it goes untreated it can develop into Pneumonia . She also said there are different strains of it. I swear it's like having a kid. The closest I'll ever come anyway.