Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Pet Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 21, 2009.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Poor pup! Is she doing well on the new meds?

I gave the vet another chance at prescribing something for Buddy's allergies. The shot was supposed to last a month and lasted 2 weeks. The pills were supposed to last an unknown period (at least a month, they expected) of time but were pretty much only good while he was taking them. Benadryl had stopped fully working for him but I read some more on Zyrtec and finally tried that instead. Finally, relief! .5mg/lb, which means he gets 3 24/hour gelcaps a day.I tried giving him 2 and he was fine inside but was still getting hives outside. Between the Zyrtec and the 1% cortisone spray, he finally has clear skin and has stopped the excessive licking and scratching. I will be soaking his feet in an epsom salt bath this weekend, too. His paws are not pink but the knuckles are still swollen (although he may also have arthritis, but regardless, he seemed to get some relief with that treatment).

I don't know what I am going to do if these meds stop working, too. I need a backup plan just in case, because he was literally covered in welts, hives, and hot spots and was just miserable. It got so bad he wouldn't eat at all.

2. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My cat has a tick on her immediately below her asshole. She used to be a feral and can get mean when you take ticks off her, this is going to be fun. I use Advantage for fleas, is there anything like that that actually works for ticks?

3. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Not to repel them, no. Revolution will kill them after they bite, so they won't get engorged or spread disease, but you still have to pick them off.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's what I use.

5. ponygirl

ponygirl
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Bravecto is a topical flea and tick preventative, and lasts 12 weeks. Seresto is a flea and tick collar and can last up to 8 months. It does have a safety release in case the cat gets caught up on something. Unfortunately there are substantially less options for cats than there are for dogs.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We use Capstar for spot treatment of fleas. I tried to see if it worked on ticks and there did not seem to be a lot of info out there. The official Capstar (and knockoffs with the same active ingredient, I got tablets on Amazon for $2 each in a 6 pack) does not say anything about ticks but other sources do.

When used with other pest control methods, it really works. It kills all adult fleas (and ticks??) within 30 minutes. Treat your home and yard at the same time.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I heard amazing things about Seresto from a couple different people, and tried it, but my dog was really allergic to it so we had to discontinue use.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Take up the whole damn couch why don't you...
    image.jpeg

9. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

We have taken the plunge after being a dogless household for more than 3 years. Deposit has been made so come next January one of these beauties will be ours. I have never, ever gotten a dog from a breeder. My GF and her SO got theirs just over a month ago. Once we met him it was all over. They have one Momma and one Dad so they aren't big time by any means. Two colors Chocolate or Silver but it doesn't matter, we are not color or gender specific. Just want a healthy pup. I am beyond excited. It's a GREAT day.
    Puppy pic.jpg

10. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My weim is over 11 now - has been a super great dog. Congratulations on making the leap!

11. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

That's not a weim it's a sliver lab. My GF said people think hers is a weim everyday.

We decided on a female last night and her name will be *Ruca. He gets to pick chocolate or silver. I've had the name in mind since we bought the house. Which will be 2 years in July.

*Anyone know where that came from?

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You don't know how to spell Fido?

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The sublime song on the 40 oz album?

14. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

You win. I've always liked the song. It's a good name.

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a great name for a dog.

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Well, Doggie Daddy made his way through a gate that was left unlatched about a month ago. I just got the news we're a go. Puppytime will be Late August rather than next spring. Holy shit. It's an exciting "what the hell have we done" moment.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There are a bunch of chipmunks nesting under the shed.

He just went over and had a few bites of the new catnip plant and then just sits there forever, waiting for them to come out.

IMG_4371.JPG

18. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

For my next life I'm requesting to come back as a spoiled house cat. I'm pretty sure he stayed in this spot all day.

IMG_6106.JPG

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Loose lips of a Basset on a country road:

image.jpeg

20. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

After some deliberation we have decided on a (female) chocolate lab. Of course everything can change upon meeting the pups.
    Momma:
    Benelli.jpg