Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Only Official Thread of the Weekend! WDT 4/8/11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly. I'm not trying to be a downer here, and I think that you should do things that fulfill you, but you need to be practical. How much of an improved income do you think that extra degree will allow you to attain? In how many years? You're better off getting a regular job to pay the bills and have your website as a side gig until it takes flight and you can afford to work on it full time.[/quote]
    I don't want to use the phrase "reading impaired" on a drunk thread, for... you know... obvious reasons. But what I'm looking at it a program that would not just be free, but would pay me to attend as a graduate teaching assistant. And it's not like what I'm doing pays great.

The whole point of this would be to have a good shot at an adjunct teaching position, which would likely pay better than anything else I can now.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

So how is this even a real decision? You're basically broke and make only as much as unemployment benefits pay out to you, right? The deal you describe extends your debt virtually for free while making more money than you are now, AND you can still do you website thingy in your spare time.

I can't think of one bad thing about this situation. What are you waiting for?

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You haven't looked round these here parts much for the past month or two, have you?

If the post about writing is true, then I say do it.

4. tempest

tempest
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Couldn't decide if I should go to the gym now and then drink, or just drink.

But it's raining sideways outside, so I'm pouring a drink.

5. Gravitas

Gravitas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

I don't know what this man does for a living...but I want to do it...whatever it may be.
    [​IMG]

6. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

HIV-positive gigolo?

7. Gravitas

Gravitas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The fact that I have spent the past couple minutes coming up with justifications for this scenario saddens me.

8. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're welcome.

9. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So tonight there are supposed to be some storms moving through the area. The worst of it is hitting eastern Illinois and Wisconsin. We're expected to get a few storms, with some high winds. My wife is freaking the fuck out, and is now insisting on sleeping in the basement on the couch down there. Seriously? There isn't even a tornado watch in my area. Not even a thunderstorm watch.

10. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because I am late to the drinking.

She could have been a royal.

And could have counts.

Right?

Attached Files:

11. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hop on a thread devoted drinking and bad decisions, only to find career advice?

Y'all are slipping, hard.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just like that black cock is slipping up your ass right now, eh?

(better?)

13. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't find my damn lighter. Dammit.

14. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

The bad thing is that there is a significant opportunity cost here. Well, at least there should be.

I have a terminal degree, and statistically if I were motivated by money, this was a bad decision for me. If I had just gotten a Master's, dropped out, and then spent time working, between raises, promotions, and so on I would have come out ahead. I believe this is probably true. The terminal degree does a couple of other things for me. In no particular order:

• If I ever fall on hard times, then it's more likely I will be underemployed than unemployed.
    • It lets me get certain kinds of jobs that are otherwise unavailable or far harder to get. I have one of these, so that worked out OK.
    • Within those jobs, it makes it easier to select what you work on, and to get access to the more interesting (and less banal) work.
    • In certain communities, it is a force-multiplier. That is, if somebody without the degree does something, and I do the exact same thing, I am likely to get more credit. Yes, I understand this isn't fair, but it's true. In the circles I travel in, senior people are far more likely to listen when I'm talking in a meeting simply because of the degree.

An MFA is probably a little different in what it does for you, but the idea is the same: you invest now for (not necessarily monetary) benefits later.

There's a difference between "unemployed for real" (i.e., you can't get a job anywhere) and "unemployed because you don't want to be underemployed." I suspect BL1Y is the latter.

Living for several (more) years like a grad student, never upgrading from a futon to a couch and eating ramen all the time, is all well and good, but you're sacrificing several years where you could be making a lot more just being underemployed - paying down those loans and saving up for a real couch. At the end, will you be happier? Or will you end up several years older, still in debt, and still only underemployed (but now with two degrees?)

If what you want out of the degree is an opportunity to study writing in-depth and build a social network of critics, I guess that's OK. It seems to me that writing has an abundance of supply and a dearth of demand as a profession. I find it much better as a hobby (writing here, mostly) and as a secondary profession. The royalties I've gotten from my book are a nice (if small) plus-up to my yearly income, but if I actually had to live off those royalties I'd jump off a building and slit my throat on the way down. I have probably made more in salary increases through promotions (partially due to having written a book) than I ever will from the book itself.

Also fix your goddamn logo, it looks like a 4-year old got ahold of the GIMP. Here, the first one's always free:

Attached Files:

15. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

VALID THREAD

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It contrasts that much better with the whiny little white bitch he sounds like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.