Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The New Doctor Who

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Currer Bell, Jun 1, 2010.

1. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They don't always meet in inverse order, or they wouldn't be keeping the notebooks. When they met at the diner, she asked him, "Now, where are we. Have we done XXXxxxx yet?"

2. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#23 iczorro, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I really wish they'd stop it with the MOST EPIC LOVE STORY OF ALL TIME!!! crap. I'd love a new companion this season.

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We've already met the new companion. And she was adorable.

6. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Going to be interesting to see how they work that one all out.

So far glad to have the show back on the air.

7. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The season started back up again with the 6th episode, which was brilliant. Seems like they've put a lot of thought into the new companion and there is much less whiny bullshit happening.
    The new villain seems interesting, I just hope it's actually a new villain and not one of the old ones with a new scheme. The writers seem to really love the Daleks, so it'd be refreshing to see something new.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That "New" villain was the super intelligence from the Christmas episode.

Jenna Coleman is killing it as Clara.

9. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah, I just watched them back-to-back. I was just listening to an episode of the Nerdist podcast on Valve and Gabe Newell presented an interesting idea about Clara (which after a quick Google search has been suggested elsewhere as well):
    Clara willed herself into the nanophages on the Dalek prison world and the Doctor is the one "spreading" her around time.

10. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The last episode looked so fucking sexy:
    [​IMG]

11. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

God damn, they're really killing it this season.
    When Clara and the Doctor found out the TARDIS was already destroyed and in a state of decay, I was really hoping that it would turn into a major storyline and span at least a couple of seasons.
    Also, I must not have been paying attention, but am I correct in that the Clara we saw burning was the same Clara who's following the Doctor around now, just in the near future? As in, he doesn't have a fourth Clara permanently burning in the basement?
    Clara is still the sexiest thing.

12. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I understood it as the same Clara (and same Doctor) very briefly in the future.

13. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

So I did something stupid and ruined who the next Doctor will be for myself. For those who did the same:
    How do you feel about Capaldi? I haven't really seen him in anything, but the fact that he's (or at least looks) considerably older than all the other Doctors from the rebooted series is somewhat disconcerting. I guess it's the initial strangeness of "meeting" any new Doctor. His IMDB page lists him as a character in Torchwood. I know they won't really touch on that, but it could be fun if they did: the Doctor and his doppelganger.

14. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you would have had to pretty much leave the internet for the next six months if you didn't want to find out who was going to be the next Dr. Who.

I'd never heard of Dr. Who until a year or two before the 11th one appeared. Friends talked about the show, I found out the one bad dude on Harry Potter was played by the 10th Doctor. I was intrigued, but intimidated by its long history. I figured I would never get any references and it would be annoying. When they started showing commercials for the new Doctor, I didn't like him. I thought he looked like a young Michael York, who always seemed like a creeper. But the husband had no such qualms, he started watching the show and subsequently got me hooked. I now love Matt Smith to bitty bits.

All of that was backstory leading up to my opinion, which is:

a) given that I failed to accurately judge Matt Smith's likeability based on a brief glimpse, I always figured I would reserve judgment until I've seen the new one in action. Unless it had been Adrian Brody, fuck that guy.*

b)
    Since I've only experienced one Doctor, and he happens to be young, I suppose I have some sort of a bias. But again, I'm reserving judgment. And I've never seen Torchwood, so that is not relevant to me.

* little joke of mine from a few years ago because I remember hearing a rumor that he would be the new Spock and I was about ready to commit seppuku.

15. jrm

jrm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Probably still unnecessary to spoiler who the new Doctor will be, but for safety's sake:

For those of you not aware, Peter Capaldi was the lead in the truly excellent "The Thick of it", created by fellow Glaswegian-Italian Armando Iannucci. It's well worth a watch, even if you may not understand the way British politics works. Capaldi's character was called Malcolm Tucker and was famous for his creative profanities. Here's a great fake trailer for the new Dr Who season using clips of Capaldi from "The Thick of it".

#35 jrm, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  16. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The day of the Doctor is soon upon us.

17. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's the actual date of it?

18. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

THe world release special was today. It was a great episode with good humor and nice story in it. I like John Hurt and THink he did a good job, Tennant and Smith played off each other really well in my opinion.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

season 8 just premiered with the newest doctor.

thoughts?

20. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

after watching the first capaldi episode, i am fully prepared to give him my heart, soul, and emotions. i started getting into this series with tennant. he is the first doctor i ever lost, and i fell into a funk after he regenerated. for this reason, i boycotted the matt smith episodes until the christmas carol episode. i ended up loving matt smith, but my love for david tennant put a limit on that affection. i think that's why i have warmed to peter capaldi so fast. at the start of the episode, i didn't know how i was going to feel about him, because he was all confused and regenerate-y. by the end of the episode, i was totally in on peter capaldi as the doctor. the look on his face when clara was getting off the tardis at the end of the episode broke my heart.

also
    i want to figure out who this chick calling herself the doctor's girlfriend is. i hope it ends up actually being mary poppins and not just a chick dressed up like her.