Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by awwwSNAP, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Joka

Joka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Bad News: John Frusciate quit the Chili Peppers again.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/12/17/john-frusciante-quits-red-hot-chili-peppers-with-no-drama/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... -no-drama/</a>

Good News: Gorillaz and M.I.A. are making new cd's this summer
    M.I.A.:http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/01/08/m-i-a-teams-with-blaqstarr-verizon-workers-for-summer-disc/

Gorillaz:http://stereogum.com/archives/video/gorillaz_plastic_beach_has_snoop_dogg_lou_reed_mos_102971.html

Really old news But i'm so excited!

2. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Holy fuck.
    Joseph Arthur is playing an acoustic gig in San Francisco on the 19th and I just figured this out. Joseph Arthur is perhaps the best live musician out there nowadays. His live shit far exceeds his actual albums. He is like last decade's Jeff Buckley.

Here is a live version of his song Speed of Light:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.josepharthur.com/songs/Benefit%20for%20Kerry-%20Live%20at%20the%20Living%20Room%207.20.04/03.%20Joseph%20Arthur%20-%20Speed%20of%20Light.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.josepharthur.com/songs/Benef ... 0Light.mp3</a>

Amazing. Never seen him live but have many bootlegs and I have never been so excited.

One of the best things about him is that he archives ALL of his live shows that you can purchase for $10. Will be great to have a copy of the show I attended!

3. Joka

Joka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Mike Patton's band Mr Bungle

#103 Joka, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I want to be able to hate Animal Collective. They're the hipster band of choice and everything hipsters like is incredibly pretentious, right? My Girls is only about Panda Bear (the band's de-facto frontman) who has a wife and young daughter and just wants a place to raise his young family.

#104 Benzilla, Jan 11, 2010
  5. finski8

finski8
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I searched for this and couldn't find it so....

Grooveshark.com

I discovered this from the comments section of a post on Charlie Hoehn's blog a few weeks ago, and have been enjoying the hell out of it ever since.
    I can't speak more highly of Groove Shark--it has all the positive features of Pandora, but without the bullshit song request/skip limits, and you can rewind and replay songs and build your own library among other features. It very well may turn out to be too good to be true, but as of yet, I have found no down side to it. Excuse my hipster language, but it appears to be pretty "underground" right now, which might explain why most of its stuff hasn't been "removed due to copyright infringement" like Youtube. We'll see how long that lasts.

From it's Wikipedia page:

"Grooveshark is an internationally-available online music search engine, music streaming service and music recommendation web software application, allowing users to search for, stream, and upload music free of charge that can be played immediately or added to a playlist. Grooveshark streams 50 to 60 million songs per month, to more than 400,000 users. As of April 2009, its audience was growing at a rate of 2 to 3% per day.

One of Grooveshark's most notable features is its recommendation system, called "Grooveshark Radio", which finds similar songs to those in a user's playlist and queues them for playback. Similar to Pandora's "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" feedback mechanism, users of Grooveshark can tell the recommendation system whether a particular recommendation was good or not by clicking a "smile" or "frown" icon. When users are satisfied with the current list of songs in their queue, they are able to save the songs as a traditional playlist for later retrieval.

A Twitter-like social feature allows users to "follow" each other to make it easier to share songs by clicking a special heart icon which adds it to the logged-in user's list of favorite users. This list can be accessed by navigating to the user's profile on the service. Like users, songs and playlists can also be added to a favorites list. Music can be shared on Grooveshark by directly linking songs to other users within Grooveshark or by posting links to other social networks like Facebook and MySpace through a "broadcast" feature, or by creating music widgets (small, embeddable music players) that can be posted on external websites."

6. Joka

Joka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Hendrix of classical guitar
    Andres Segovia

#106 Joka, Jan 12, 2010
  7. Joka

Joka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Don't mean to double post but I came to announce that Teddy Pendergrass died today
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/01/14/rb-great-teddy-pendergrass-dead-at-59-after-cancer-battle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... er-battle/</a>

Dude was an amazing soul singer. Hope he rests well

#107 Joka, Jan 14, 2010
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This song is my official "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" theme music. The power of the riff compels me.

#108 Crown Royal, Jan 18, 2010
  9. imlkrsfn

imlkrsfn
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The song that would always be playing in GTA 4 - The Ballad of Gay Tony.

#109 imlkrsfn, Jan 19, 2010
  10. Denver

Denver
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Did anyone else on here used to use thesixtyone? They recently changed the site into a complete clusterfuck and I can't stand to use it anymore. (For the curious, for now you can see how the old site worked at old.thesixtyone.com.)

I'm wondering if anyone has any other similar sites that have the same amount of good indie music. Pandora and Last.fm don't really do it for me. Hypem is nice but they have a pretty narrow set of styles they feature, it seems. Ideas?

11. OCBtip

OCBtip
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

This is quite weird and quite beautiful.

#111 OCBtip, Jan 23, 2010
  12. Joka

Joka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Discovered a Swedish band today called Little Dragon. Really poppin' Roots like rythem.

They're also backing behind a track on the new Gorillaz album

#112 Joka, Feb 1, 2010
  13. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two things. First, Pon de Floor. It is life changing. Your life will be changed.

Watch it here. It got taken down from Youtube, watch it and you'll see why.

Also, Team Teamwork released a new album, Vinyl Fantasy 7. Same guy who did the Zelda mashups that circled around a little while back. If you want to download it, you'll have to go to his new Tumblr site, because he took his music off Bandcamp on account of a copyright infringement claim.

14. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)

Yes, it's old. I don't care. One of my favourite songs...

Unfortunately, the first 3 seconds or so is choppy.

#114 Durbanite, Feb 19, 2010
  15. Joka

Joka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Conan's coming to Bonaroo
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/03/11/conan-obrien-joins-bonnaroo-announces-legally-prohibited-tour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... ited-tour/</a>

Hopefully he'll play Free Bird again

16. SamB

SamB
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Been stoked on The Monitor-Titus Andronicus for a while now
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YCLBL4LEkc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YCLBL4LEkc</a>

ya its named after the civil war ship. Its a concept album that's not pretentious as fuck, and its really, really good.

17. Pap

Pap
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Some shameless self promotion for my music review site I recently created with a friend.

Music Reviews for Idiots by Idiots

The name similarities are mere coincidence, unless it was subconscious thing when I came up with the name.

I figured it fit within the music thread.

If not here is this video from Hot Chip. It's pretty odd but awesome. The first minute is kinda gay boy band shit but it gets kick ass after that. Trust me.

Hot Chip-I Feel Better

18. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Alex Chilton died on Thursday. If you "know" him but don't know of him you've probably heard "The Letter" on some sixties compilation advertisement. He was also a member of Big Star and had (not much) of a solo career. But Big Star is one of those bands of which 30 people had heard but each one of them went on to start a band.

They also wrote the song "In The Street" which was covered by Cheap Trick for That 70s Show:

The Replacements even wrote a song about him, which is apparently now a part of Rock Band:

#118 Tim, Mar 21, 2010
  19. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been really into dubstep lately. You should be too.

#119 RCGT, Apr 20, 2010
  20. Andolingus

Andolingus
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Caribou's new album recently dropped. If you ever wanted to know what partying underwater was like, Swim is for you.

This has been on repeat for a few days now.

#120 Andolingus, May 2, 2010