Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by awwwSNAP, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's crazy to think that they formed, got world famous, then broke up, all before they were 30.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It really is. Eleven studio albums in 7 years, and their last live show before that rooftop in January 1969 was August 1966. It used to be, bands toured to support and promote album sales, because that's how they made money. Now they make fuck all off an album, and tour it to make revenue. But, to know how influential they are/were, how much they make off their residual sales, (plus the rest of the catalog of songs they bought and own), plus how many freaking hits they had . . . it's kind of mind blowing.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Imagine how much bigger they would be if their live shows were renowned. Of course when the Beatles WOULD tour, the concert performance would be less than thirty minutes long. I know a majority of their songs are short and it was different time, but even given that it’s still pretty lazy. Their opening act like Cannibal & The Headhunters would be on stage longer than them, and they had ONE trademark song.

But they basically own the music industry. When they make “top albums of all time” list they usually have five in the top ten. Sgt Pepper, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road and the White Album. They’ll never outsell Elvis (it’s impossible) but they are the biggest thing ever.

#263 Crown Royal, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  4. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The live shows at the venues the Beatles were playing were not very good. There just was not very good nor loud sound reinforcement at the time. I think some of the club dates if you could have seen the Beatles would have been legendary. I know two people who saw the Beatles and both said you could not hear them over the screams from the audience.

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have not seen the documentary yet, but I have the “Beatles in Mono” vinyl collection. After growing up into the Beatles with my parents’ pop-and-click stereo records, and after hearing the stereo CDs after the Anthology came out - hearing the mono mixes pressed from the original master tapes is a whole new experience.

6. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

7. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if anyone here is a Jack White fan, but he has a new album out called “Entering Heaven Alive”.

I listened to the whole thing today and I think it’s awesome. He’s capable of playing such a wide variety of stiles. This one is more folk-like. He’s a real talent. I’m not sure he gets the credit/exposure he deserves. He’s not a flashy, publicity-seeking artist so he tends to fly under the radar.

I’m curious is anyone has listened to it.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It Might Get Loud introduced me to a side of Jack White I'd never been exposed to before, and made me respect his abilities much more. I'd never really known anything about him before, so when I saw he was one of the 3 in that movie, I was wondering why the hell he was there.

#268 Nettdata, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  9. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Jack White / Black Keys feud in Nashville was a pretty hot topic a few years ago. Two-piece bands tend to have a lot of ego, it seems.

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never really gotten behind Jack White's solo work, because I think that the White Stripes were so much superior. The White Stripes songs were so energetic, but his solo work is reminiscent of Bob Dylan (I don't like Bob Dylan).

In other news, one of my favorite bands of all time, Monster Magnet, has released a new album. I know that there are a couple of Monster Magnet fans on here. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but if you like stoner-rock, you won't be disappointed.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#271 Rush-O-Matic, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dang, that's the second one that's been blocked. They keep getting pulled, I guess because instead of just being a concert, it's a South Park official event.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One more update, and why CBS Viacom is pulling the videos: the special airs on Comedy Central tonight at 10pm ET. I don't know if it'll include the Geddy & Alex CttH version, since they filmed on 2 nights.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Really wish I could see what you're talking about... it sounds wild.

In other news, I'm a huge fan of Johnny Hiland. Most people, musicians included, have probably never heard of him, but the dude is a killer guitar player.

I bought one of his signature guitars, and it's the smoothest playing guitar I own. Part Eddie Van Halen, part chicken-pluckin... it's just a beast. I'd never heard of Kiesel before, but I'm sold now.

I just wish I could play it as well as that blind fuck can.

What a super nice guy... and just a monster player.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It aired on Comedy Central in U.S., but on Much in Canada. So, maybe you can catch a replay?

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just saw it.

Started off a bit cold and rusty but was a lot of fun!

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm glad you posted that version. I hope it stays up, because the TV broadcast (at least on Comedy Central; don't know about the Much version) was edited. In the video you posted above, from 4:42 - 8:17 is not included in the TV version, which cuts out Alex's bonus jam from like 6:00 to 7:00, and a lot of Les Claypool's ramblings.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Man, I just love the way Tommy Emmanuel plays.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He plays with other guitarists so very, very well... with such a big range.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just bought the first set of concert tickets in years.

Alter Bridge just announced their 2023 tour, with Mammoth opening for them, and they're doing a night in Toronto. Feb of 2023.

It's at a venue I've never heard of before, called History. 2,500 seat venue... looks very cool.

I can't wait!

In case you've never heard of them, Alter Bridge is Miles Kennedy's band... you may know him as the guy that did vocals for Slash's post-GnR band.

Did one of my all-time favourite acoustic sets:

And Mammoth is Wolfgang Van Halen's band... I'm super impressed with him as a musician, and the band's live performances.