Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Motorcycle Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 23, 2009.

1. DrunkBilliken

DrunkBilliken
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I need help.

I want to buy myself my first motorcycle within the next two years. I have minimal riding experience, but know that I want a Harley-style bike (no crotch rockets). I'm assuming that used bikes are ok, but don't know where to look really besides Craigslist, or even what brands I need to be looking at.

Basically, I want to start doing my homework on this. Point me in the right direction. Any tips, places to look, brands to look for, articles to read, etc. are all appreciated.

2. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should start by taking the MSF Basic Rider Course. Used bikes are preferable for new riders. All of the Japanese brands - Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha - make cruisers in the 500cc-800cc range that you should be considering. Lots of people, especially salesmen, will tell that "you will do fine" on a bigger bike, but you'll learn to ride faster and easier on a smaller bike that you're not wrestling with in parking lots.

3. ASL

ASL
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That SV1000 is beautiful! I''m currently bikeless, but have had an '03 Ninja 500 (perfect first bike), '84 Suzuki GS550E...long story, but cheap and ok for the summer, and an '02 SV650S with a full Hindle system. I miss it, and am thinking of getting another SV if I can find one for the right price.

Has anyone had experience with the Triumph Daytona 675 triple? The sound is awesome and it seems like a really nice bike.

4. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Scheduled to get my Motorcycle license next weekend!! So fucking pumped about this! Also fixed up my buddies '06 R6 yesterday, which I'll probable buy from him in the coming weeks as my starter bike. Just not looking forward to buying all the gear. Anyone have any advice for a first time buyer as far as helmet, jacket, gloves, etc. are concerned?

5. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Try them on at a store. Don't fall for the temptation to buy something cheap over the internet. Any full-face helmet is going to protect you in a crash. What you want to do is get one that fits you right. You don't want to be riding around distracted because you constantly have to adjust your helmet. Try on a bunch of helmets, not just the ones that look cool.

6. uzisuicide

uzisuicide
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This. And don't skimp on price. More expensive is usually more comfortable. Comfortable riding is safer riding.

7. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Buy some cheap ear plugs and use them whenever you are going for a ride faster than 40 mph. There is no sense in ruining your hearing by the time you are 45.

8. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If you're young and dumb like me, half the time you have music headphones in, hearing be damned. Some states headphones/earplugs are illegal though.

As to other gear, definitely don't skimp. For helmets you can usually save some dough by getting the bland single color lid opposed to the sweet paint job. But again, as already mentioned, biggest thing is comfort. Removable/washable liners and adjustable air vents are some other things to consider.

Get a motorcycle jacket. Something with pads. Again, comfort is king, but look for things like air vents, removable wind/rain liners, etc.
    I don't have riding pants, I usually just go with standard denim jeans. Shitty American Eagle style paper thin jeans won't do jack shit if you drop it, so keep that in mind. That's why some people swear by full riding leathers.

Have fun, but always assume people don't see you. Learn to watch drivers' eyes and tires, that's where their car is going.

9. MateFeedKillRepeat

MateFeedKillRepeat
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

What? Since when is it a good idea not being able to hear ANYTHING going on around you? Especially the idiot who is about to rear end you because he didn't notice a bike was right there.

You should always being looking in your mirrors, but realistically its not going to happen at every stoplight. Hearing tires screech or a horn going off could save your life. Maybe its just me, but I have to be able to hear whats going on.

10. mikebegood

mikebegood
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Saw an 01 sv650s for 2k on craigslist today. Anyone have an idea on how much work is involved in taking of the front fairing? I been looking for a naked bike but this seems like too good a deal to pass up.

11. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ear plugs do not block ALL sound. You can still hear other cars, horns and sirens when you're sitting still. At speed without earplugs you can't hear much other than the wind blast. Ear plugs help block that out which means you won't get as fatigued when doing long stretches at higher speeds.

12. uzisuicide

uzisuicide
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've personally never tried earplugs myself, but I know a lot of riders that wear them. I don't think it's frowned upon among riders. I do know that my helmet is fucking LOUD when I ride, so I'm not opposed to trying them. It's not like you're competely deaf with plugs in anyway.

13. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Dude if you really want the naked one just wait till you find one for sale. I was looking into doing on my bike, and while I never came up with an accurate number, it seemed pretty daunting. You need:
    New triple tree to fit bars other than the clip ons
    Headlight
    Gauge cluster
    Wiring harness (the stock is is too short with new bars)
    brake lines
    mirrors
    turn signals
    Of course it is possible to re-use some parts but I think it looks like crap unless you go out and buy Aztec gauges headlight etc. I'm not really capable of this type of mechanical work especially with my lack of a shop or garage. Its all a matter of personal choice but I don't know if I'd spend hundreds of dollars converting a bike thats only worth 2k.

14. mikebegood

mikebegood
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Thanks for the info. Didn't even get a chance to look at the bike, the listing went up and it was sold within 6 hours. I also found out that insurance (at least Progressive) is more expensive on the 650S because they classify it as a sportbike while the regular 650 is classified as a cruiser.

15. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yes, even though my bike is only a 650 v twin, I must pay for insurance that assumes it is capable of the same performance (death machine like) of a CBR or some shit. I was very very pissed when I bought the policy for it. But, you only have to put liability on the bike if you own it outright. I have to pay for full coverage because the bank has the title.

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, i had a 07 XT225, and i was 25 and have been driving since i was 16 without any accidents, my insurance for 9months was something like 700 dollars. My 02 Civic cost me around 1400 a year. I dont get it, i wished it would go back to the way it was when you had more then one vehicle, you would pay a little bit more for each other vehicle because you couldn't drive more then one at a time. Well at least in BC you pay through the nose for every vehicle, i have been told some other provinces you get a discount for more then one.

17. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks all for the info, suggestions, and help as far as my first bike, gear and learning to ride. Y'all are a wealth of knowledge.

18. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did a nice 100 miles or so today through central Maryland. Anyone know any good websites for finding scenic cruising routes?

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Hit up your local Porsche Club web site.

A huge part of the membership are touring/driving enthusiasts, and regularly go for drives on long, twisty, secluded roads, exactly what you'd be looking for on a bike.

They usually post their more popular routes, or talk about them in their forums.

20. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Picked up this just now:

[​IMG]

And my beginners course starts this Friday. Saweet!!