Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Motorcycle Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Just because you have the capability go to fast doesn't mean you have to. The extra size on a 650 as compared to a 250 means more than just sheer top speed. My bike tops out at 130ish, but I mostly just ride around town. Its nice to be able to cruise 55 in fourth gear when you have a six speed and maintain pretty low rpms as opposed to the CRF listed on the site (I used to own one) whish shakes like Micheal J. Fox at highway speed.

2. TPapp

TPapp
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This list is complete shit. How could you recommend any Duc as a beginner but completely forget to mention the Ninja 250, 650r or SV650?

If you have zero to little motorcycle experience it's best to start with a 250 or maybe an EX500. But if you've been riding dirt bikes for several years I think it's okay to go to a 600 sport bike as long as you're not a knuckle head.

3. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After six months of ownership and quite a bit of cleaning and adjusting I finally got to ride my new to me 1990 GSXR-1100. This bike was pretty much a barn find that my neighbor informed me about. It was completely stock with the original tires and 6800 miles on it. It even had the warning stickers and reflectors still on it. There had been much discussion and beer drinking over how much and what to modify, but in the end it was decided that it might be the last unmodified GSXR-1100 on the road and it probably should remain that way.

Now if I can only take about 20 years of age off my back. I am afraid I cannot take 200 mile rides on a bike with clipons anymore.

4. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I started riding 4 years ago. I bought a brand new Honda Shadow VLX and I love the bike. Everyone who rides it complements the bike and how it rides. The only problem with this bike is that it's not made for sustained highway riding. It's only a 600 and has a 4 speed transmission. I've added after market pipes and an air intake so the power of the bike isn't a problem. The biggest problem I have is the 4 speed. It's going to be great for in-town riding and my next bike will be my highway cruiser.

FOCUS: The list is good, but I wouldn't suggest getting anything less than a 600 unless you plan on getting rid of it in a year or two.

5. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let's be sure to qualify this with the type of bikes we're talking about. If you're looking at cruisers, yes, 600cc is on the small side. If you're looking at sport bikes, I don't recommend starting on a 600. All the new 600 sportbikes will outrun every stock cruiser made, no matter what engine size or manufacturer, no exceptions. For sportbikes, you should start smaller like a 250 or 500, then move up. Don't fall for the argument that you'll get bored with a smaller bike or you don't want to outgrow it. The idea is to learn how to ride, and that's a lot easier on a smaller bike. Nobody keeps the first bike they buy, no matter what size it is. It's also more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

6. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

By "sport bike" do you mean a bike with an in line engine? I have an SV650s which is technically a "sport" bike (god knows my insurance company seems to think so). But it has a V-twin. Yes its faster than most cruisers, but I believe that it is one of the best starter bikes on the market. I've only had the bike for about 2 months of rideable weather, and I've already ordered a new pipe and a power commander for it. I'm not arguing that nobody should buy 250's but if I had bought one I probably would have wanted to upgrade before I even paid it off. It's all just a matter of personal preference. The point I'm trying to make is that a mid size bike is perfectly manageable is you use common sense.

7. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

By "sport bike" do you mean a bike with an in line engine? I have an SV650s which is technically a "sport" bike (god knows my insurance company seems to think so). But it has a V-twin. Yes its faster than most cruisers, but I believe that it is one of the best starter bikes on the market. I've only had the bike for about 2 months of rideable weather, and I've already ordered a new pipe and a power commander for it. I'm not arguing that nobody should buy 250's but if I had bought one I probably would have wanted to upgrade before I even paid it off. It's all just a matter of personal preference. The point I'm trying to make is that a mid size bike is perfectly manageable is you use common sense.[/quote]

Yes, I should have qualified that better. I meant the 600cc+ inline 4 bikes. The SV650 is considered an excellent starter that has enough power for an advanced rider too. Other bikes that are similar are the Ninja 650/ER-6n and the Yamaha FZ6/FZ6R.

8. Reifer

Reifer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have heard nothing but good things about the SV650 as a good starter bike and have decided to purchase one. I have found what seems to be a good deal but I just wanted to throw it out in the open and see what more experienced riders think about it.

In the first ad, the guy is listing an 08 SV650 with 11,500 miles for $4300. I contacted him and expressed interest, as well as asked a few simple questions like is he the original owner, does he have maintenance records, has the bike been dropped etc. Basic stuff. I told him I would like to come by sometime this weekend to take a look at it and never got a response back.

I check his ad today and suddenly it turns to this: <a class="postlink" href="http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/mcy/1608951404.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/mcy/1608951404.html</a>

Something seems off to me, what do you guys think?

9. JohnQ

JohnQ
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I tend to think a V-twin is an excellent bike to start on, particularly an older one. Aside from a small dirt bike I had as a kid, my first real bike was a 98 Honda VTR1000. 996cc twin with probably WAY too much power for a first bike. That said, I'd say a smaller twin like the sv650's mentioned previously would probably be perfect. Unfortunately, they weren't available to me at the time, and sporty twins were just getting popular thanks to Ducati's.

Just my suggestion and preference. I tend to agree with the Suzuki though. And, while these days there are a TON of smaller cool twins available, its easily the most economical and probably best beginner bike which you ALSO won't get tired of in a couple months.

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know most of you probably don't give a shit about this type of riding but...

I got to meet and talk racing with a National Enduro Series racer. That wasn't the interesting part though. I got to take a good look a the new Husaberg. I want one of these so bad. Look at that engine. Then for those of you who don't know what an offroad engine normally looks like, just look at any other dirtbike. Husaberg turned the motorcycle world on its head with that engine.

[​IMG]

11. Vale

Vale
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

See my avatar. I currently ride a 2006 Honda CBR600RR. I am thinking about upgrading to a 1000 in the near future. You can never have too much speed!

12. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This is the one.

[​IMG]

Anyone here have any experience with the newer Ducati's?
    I know about how they used to gobble large amounts of nutsack. I'm more interested in someone who drives or knows someone who has one.
    This will be mine.

13. Reifer

Reifer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Good lord, I got a half chub just looking at that sexy beast.

I found an 06 SV650S with 7800 miles on the clock for $3800. Yep, that's my new girl.

14. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just learned how to ride today. How have I gone these 24 years without owning a bike? Fuck me sideways, that shit is awesome.

15. Reifer

Reifer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just swapped my stock exhaust for a carbon fiber Leo Vince and now she sounds like a real bike instead of an overgrown scooter. Of course immediately after this takes place, the rain comes down and is expected for the next three days.

I wish I could have had a bike in Pensacola, that would have been too much fun. But there are also a shit ton of stupid fucks down there that don't know their ass from their elbow and drive as such, be careful down there sir.

16. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh yeah, people down here have no idea how to drive. Although, since there is a huge Military presence, and half of everyone in the Military ride's bikes, most people on the road have those 'Look Twice for Bike's' or something stickers plastered all over the backs of their cars. But if I had my own bike, I'd definitely be riding it every day this week, we got lucky and spring threw us a bone as far as weather, only 70's and sunny this whole week. Can't wait to join your ranks.

17. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I also out a new pipe on my SV650. I went a bit cheaper than the above poster and got a two brothers. Next step is a fender eliminator to get rid of the ugly black plastic on the back.
    [​IMG]

18. Reifer

Reifer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ours look exactly the same, except for the pipe of course. Beautiful bikes, I get compliments all the time on it. How does the pipe sound? I would post a clip of mine but my camera has taken a shit, so it's a no go.

Are you active on the svrider forums? That place is a wealth of information and has come in handy on numerous occasions. I recently installed an aTRE one of the members there sells and it is probably one of the best mods you can do for the SV. I had a Hamicad fender eliminator on order, but apparently they are short on stock right now, so that was a no go as well. I can't stand looking at that snow shovel on the back, it will be the next thing to go.

19. MuddyPeej

MuddyPeej
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Good looking SV man. I had been looking for SV650 for about 3 months. For my tastes the SV is perfect, V twin, naked sportbike, good size and torque. Suprisingly for them being s popular it was hard to find a fuel injected model with decent miles here in the midwest.

Until the skies parted. I found a big, beautiful, naked SV1000 for a good price. After some research I learned the following was almost as big as the 650. My only hesitation was that it had 115 hp and 75 ft-lbs, and that may be a little overkill for me. I've had it for a few weeks now and my worries were correct. Any quick twist of the throttle and it's like I get hit from behind by a truck. It also has +1 tooth on the back sprocket for added acceleration, as if that's needed. Anyhow I suppose its better to have too much power than not enough.

I also like that they only made the 1k for 5 years and only sold the naked version in America for 2 years, so it's fairly rare 'round these parts. Even the younger guys at the stealership didn't know they made a 1000.

I'll post a pic tomorrow at work, ride safe fellas.

20. MuddyPeej

MuddyPeej
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Sorry for the double post, can't figure out had to edit. This is the '03 SV1000, 3 hours from home, haphazardly strapped in for the trip. I like that it's not too molested, has only a Corbin seat and very shitty bar-end mirrors, and stainless brake lines.

Attached Files: