Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Motorcycle Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I see some terrifying videos. AutotechMike Pfeffer, on Instagram or whatever, will be like, "Customer states: needs a headlight and has slight vibration." And the frame or control arms just crumble to red dust on the lift. I don't even want to visit Michigan, ever. Or any rust belt state.

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was this a front or rear wheel? I imagine losing a front wouldn't be uneventful if you had to hit the brakes or turn the vehicle to stay in the road. Just rolling to a stop, yes, easy peasy.

Hell, I had one front brake get oil soaked and it jerked like crazy the first time I hit the brakes.

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was the driver side front. The road was making a gentle turn to the left so I just applied light braking and let it slide straight out of the lane and onto the shoulder

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My mom narrowly avoided getting slammed head on by a semi truck tire that came off and bounced over the median a couple of years ago.

Deer are the other thing in my cars Im scared of. Ive clipped one in my Celica. Then after spending years dragging ass to get a new hood for my e46 after rear ending someone I nailed one and put a huge dent in my new hood in the same unfixable place. I looked for that one hoping to get a free deer tag for my troubles but it must have limped off.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

then you'll love r/TiresAreTheEnemy

6. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

7. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm thinking about getting in the "custom cafe racer" business. From what I can tell, it goes like this...

1. Buy $1,000 bike
    2. Remove as much crap as you can and still get the bike to run. Remove front fender, rear fender and cut off any frame that rear was attached to.
    3. Rattle can paint job on any fuel tank not original to the bike.
    4. Make weird little seat.
    5. Buy weird little handle bars off Amazon, probably $50.
    6. Put on FB marketplace for $4600.

It damn genius!

Screenshot_20230326-172448~2.png

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aww my dad had a Knight Hawk.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had a Nighthawk before I bought my Magna.

10. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can list a motorcycle for any price you want. I would be curious as to how much a bike like that actually sells for.

I really think the top dollar for older bikes are for original non molested bikes that look like they just came off the showroom. But that is just me.

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do like a well done cafe racer over some of the old bikes original looks. Not that I'd ever buy one, I just see them when I search for dirt bike deals. I think dirt bikes are easier to flip for extra cash if you know how to work on them.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got a 2014 Honda Interceptor last month for cheap because of cosmetic damage.

Holy shit do I see why this is a cult bike. It's not as fast as the 1000cc Aprilia, but it's smooth, and just as fun to ride.

I am considering a KTM RC8 for my next bit of lunacy. Any of yall familiar?

Also, I'll be painting the red off this Honda. This is my first time doing such a thing, so any pointers will be appreciated

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I only have experience with their MX bikes, owned two, ridden several others. If you're buying a used KTM, service records are a big plus. They will punish your wallet for slacking on preventative maintenance, parts are way more expensive than the Japanese competition.

But, yeah, I remember drooling over those KTM street bikes when they came out.

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

An ex-GF's dad had an Interceptor. Wasn't near as quick as my CBR1000RR but damn, was it way more comfortable.

Painting the red off? Like, painting the bike a different color?

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah painting it black.

Gf appreciates the Hondas seat and shocks.

I do miss that liter bike ability to disappear, but this 800 isn't terrible.

16. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you completely taking everything apart and doing it "properly" or a downndirty (pun intended) paint job?

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They don't have no pursuit laws where you ride yet?

I'm inclined to agree with no pursuit laws. There's a lot of stupid mothafuckers that are just fine, not bothering anybody, when they're doing 15-20 mph over. But the chances of them running out of talent and luck when they're doing 140mph to get away are too great.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have been told by sport bike riders around here(northern bc) that there is no pursuit laws. Never out run the cops before, but have been told by a few people that when the lights go on, the throttle goes on.

19. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did some googling for Virginia. They aren't laws, per say, but department policy, differing with every department. Some places in Virginia, they won't chase you, some departments can flat out run you over if they think deadly force is justified.

20. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I absolutely will not run from cops. I hit triple digits and get busted, no problem. It's the other sort.of consequences I am worried about.

I'll be taking it completely apart, yes. Figuring a rainy weekend kind of project, and will accumulate all the parts to get rid of the cosmetic damage. Fucking Headlight assembly is $1400....so paint is a relatively minor expense, unless I have to do it 3x.