Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Motorcycle Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aahh take me back. My first dirtbike was a Honda Z50. It had inverted shocks and I bottomed out so much jumping the forks bent where it was attached to the axle. Some of those older monkey bikes, pit bikes we used to call them, go for 4k+ on Bring a Trailer.

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My buddy had a pitbike track in his back yard. We would drink, do hard drugs and race crf 70s until the sun came up. One guy hit the house broke his collar bone. He drove himself to the ER and then came back to the party.

Of course, that would happen after we spent most of the day at a real track on real bikes.

Now I adult and I'm usually in bed by 9. I avoid the little bikes because they make my knees stiff just sitting on them.

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What about helmets?

I'm looking for an upgrade to a Shoei Qwest, looking at RF-1100 and RF-1200, but God DAMN do they get expensive. I get $500 is a small price to pay for your skull and all it's contents, but is there a decent alternative to half a grand?

My main issue is I have a big head, and it's humid as fuck here, so the riding gear needs to ventilate well.

4. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a big fan of Arai helmets, but they could possibly be more expensive.

My wife worked in an ER before she joined the military. We both raced dirt bikes, so when a young teenager came in with part of his helmet embedded in his head she checked the brand, it was an HJC. Probably a $60-70 helmet back then. So avoid that brand.

I'd make credit card payments on a real helmet before I stuck my head in something like an HJC.

5. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How long ago did it occur? How old was the helmet at the time of the crash? What was the condition of the helmet before the crash? Was that the first time it was in a crash? The 2nd, 3rd, or more? Also, what were the parameters of the crash? A lot of questions that need answered before that particular incident is more than an anecdote.

Helmets age. The material breaks down due to sweat, hair products, scalp oil, hot & cold, weather, UV light, etc.. They're also not always replaced when they should be after minor accidents where the helmet "looks" fine, but is compromised.

Any helmet sold in the US is required to meet minimum standards set by the DOT regardless of cost. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if you were able to order one off Amazon or elsewhere that didn't meet those minimums.

The additional cost usually doesn't get you a safer helmet, just more features: bluetooth, ventilation, lighter weight, better fit, etc..

DOT reg covering helmets: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm looking at Revzilla to get a new one. I almost got one at the dealership, but $113 for a helmet seems kind of cheap, especially with Aprilia written on it.

There's the DOT standard and the SNELL standard? Also, I think the SNELL standard got an update for 2020?

I'm hoping to get out for under $350, but between the Bell, Shoei and Arai helmets that have both standards, in matte black....yeesh.

7. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was an off-road/MX helmet, the boy crashed riding on-road. It was about '05. Yes, it wasn't a typical crash or appropriate equipment for the rider that got injured. But you can absolutely tell the difference between a $70 HJC and an Arai.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

When I was racing (cars) I was amazed at the number of times I watched people drop their helmets, pick them up, dust them off, and then go out in the next heat.

I asked one guy about it, and he said, "Oh, it's a motorcycle helmet... they're good for multiple impacts..."

Uhhh... that's not how that rating works... like, at all.

There's a reason we had g-shock stickers on our helmets.

The absolute worst was a guy we had to ban from a race weekend because he'd bought his HANS device on eBay for $100 or so... and it was plainly a knock-off piece of shitty fiberglass. I've never seen a tech inspection fail that hard before with cheap-ass safety gear, on a car with brand new Hoosier slicks. Weird way to divvy up your racing budget.

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do not get a helmet with a DOT only standard, the DOT motorcycle helmet standard really isn't a standard. Only look for one with a SNELL standard, can be DOT and SNELL, but not DOT only.

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm kind of laughing, because I had an HJC helmet in Bali, for use on a scooter. The cloth covering rubbed off on on side and it was straight up Styrofoam, like a to-go cup. It wouldn't have protected me from a brain fart, much less an impact.

Also....used safety gear and sex toys fall under the "nope" category for me. I know how much I sweat in this helmet, and how difficult it is to clean. Nope.

Any suggestions on sizing this stuff?

Part of the reason I'm upgrading is my current helmet is huge (XL) and I couldn't try any on at the dealership. I could stand some more vents but bluetooth is lost on me. The last thing I want is to be on the damned phone while riding, and I can use headphones for music, I find it helps with road noise.

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a huge head and normally need a 3xl helmet, but Aria is the only helmet manufacture that has a different shape of helmets for different shape of head. But that is one thing that you really need to try on.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To me as long as it has the SNELL cert it doesn't matter, they will protect your head all the same.

14. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My Interceptor developed the infamous Honda rectifier problem soon after I bought it. I finally got some time to diagnose and repair it with a Shindengen MOSFET unit. I also added a voltmeter/USB charger unit in the process.

I think it's still one of the best looking bikes out there, even at 23 years old, and it's such a great ride.

Back on the road!

IMG_9286(1).jpg

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just looked at a 2014 Honda CB1000R.

Gorgeous bike, but man that plastic is hard to like.

Any of yall been on one of these?

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just impulse purchased a 2006 Honda Interceptor with 22k on it for $3k.

Holy fucking hell, this thing is awesome.

17. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They are a nice scooter downdirty. Just make sure to have the valves checked cause I would bet they never have been. Not an easy nor inexpensive adjustment if needed. They are a nice bike though.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The previous owner had the valves done 3000 miles ago.

This thing is lightyears away from the Aprilia Shiver 900 and the Ducati Streetfigher I used to ride in terms of comfort and top end. It requires so much less effort, it makes me wonder if a Goldwing isn't just riding a highly engineered cloud.

19. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good to hear the previous owner had the valves adjusted recently, That is $600 to $800 saved. Interceptors of that vintage may be as nice of all around motorcycle that has ever been sold. This from a man who usually despises most anything Honda. Congratulations again, now get out and wear out a set of tires before August.

20. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's a nice deal, but where are the pics???