Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Motorcycle Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

my mistake. i did mean that the v-strom 1000 started selling in 2002 not 2012. so the most years that the owner could have been riding was 12 years to accumulate that many miles.

2. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

it's an '03. the guy does a lot of long rides and participates in iron butt rallies. more than one of those was 11,000 miles in 11 days. you guys should check out the adv rider forums some day. there are a lot of riders who actually go places on their bikes.

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is what happens when you catch air doing 240km/h. I knew i was going to need tires this year but now i have to.

Attached Files:

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nicely done...

Want to know the definition of "Fucking Nuts" though?

This is an old acquaintance of mine who thought Hyabusas weren't fast enough, so he supercharged them and then ran them at the Bonneville Salt Flats. He's a multi-time member of the 200 club... on a motorcycle. He used to borrow my race trailer to tow his bikes to the time trials.

He said there was so much power in his bikes that the biggest thing he had to worry about as cracking the throttle at 180+ mph and having the rear wheel spin on him.

He got really, really, REALLY lucky one day:

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It was funny to hear him talk about the wipeout (he needed knee and shoulder surgery after that).

He said he was sliding for what seemed like forever, and got really, really hot... and then started to slow down... and even though he felt like he was going through a washing machine on high at the time, everything was going to be OK... and then the bike caught him and ran him over and burned/bruised the fuck out of him. It was like getting into a second crash while still riding out the first one.

Took a year off after that but I'll be damned if he wasn't back out the following year and blowing shit up.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Salt flat wipes outs look so painful. From what i have heard is if you are sliding you are ok. But if you get flung or shit hits you/you hit shit, that is when you start getting fucked up quick. I think i posted it here, but last year or 2 years ago. I a guy was riding his bike low sided it everything was fine, bike had pegs, but he tried to correct it and high sided himself. Broke ribs and pretty much everything on the one side of his body.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, Jason said that to start with he had more burns than anything, as he was sliding along at 240+ mph on salt... all the leather in the world wasn't going to help. He was actually feeling the heat and trying to rotate to let the hot part of his body cool off... and then his bike hit him and all bets were off.

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mother of God.

A friend of mine, a tiny little 5'1 Latina hit the 200MPH Club on a 'Busa, and almost didn't have enough meat on her to keep that thing balanced and straight. She did it in heels so she could touch the fucking ground. For Halloween, she dressed up like Alotta Vagina from Venture Brothers. Biker chicks are awesome.

I'm curious about a Sportster 1200. I want something from around 1995-2005, small and relatively cheap and I'm comparing this to a Triumph. The question I have is reliability (I know, get your chuckles in). Are the sporty's in this year range decent, or basket cases?

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't seen my bike in 2 and a half weeks, nearest dealer is 750km/500miles away. Needed recall work and a near rear tire. So i trailered it up there, and drove back. But they aren't open on sundays. And there is no way of getting up there on an evening so i have to take a day off work missing the days wage and another day to drive it back. I have so much yard work to do. Months of shit to do. And it has been the best weather we have ever had so i have been working outside as much as possible.

But when i was up there dropping my bike off they had a new busa in the show room. I am only 6', but my body is a lot longer then then normal, more average of someone 6'2"-6'4". So when i am on my 750 and i try and duck under the little windscreen my neck cramps up because i have to look straight up basically, but on the busa, it was so so comfortable.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. captain awesome

captain awesome
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

06 hayabusa
    98 gsxr 750 (sold, waiting to ship)
    06 ktm 950 sm
    Rode a lot of motocross until I tore my ACL and took so long to get running again. Really enjoying the sm around town.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I bought a new tire at the end of last season, probably have less then 300km on it. Guess what happened? Guess I drove over a 4" screw driver bit and put it through the tire. Took it to the guy that does motorcycle tires in town, thinks he could repair it, until he gets it off the rim. He repaired it enough that I can drive around town and have to fill air ever few days.

Just fucking sucks brand new tire with the little rubber nubs from the mould still on it.

13. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I fell into buying a set of Vanson zip together leathers today for $150. I do not need another set of leathers as I have seven leather jackets already. That said a new set would probably be about $1,400, these fit me and they were supposed to have been previously owned by Mert Lawwill. All you youngins do your google.

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well I just got back from the 2 day course. Man did I learn a lot. Would recommend it to anyone. Just wish I lived close to a track to do some track days.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Awesome... I never had a bike when I was in "take it to the track" mode... but as soon as I did my first track day in my car, I could see the value.

Friends of mine run a race bike training school in BC and I've gone out and helped as a corner worker for a few times, and it's immediately apparent the value EVERYONE gets from such a day.

Congrats on the course... here's hoping your tire wear widens appreciably.

One of my favourite little video clips is from a Corvette Racing video or something where Mario Andretti walks into a shop somewhere, and he's walking by a parked superbike, and he points down at the narrow band of front tire wear and says over his shoulder to the guy walking with him, "fucking pussy rides that bike" and just keeps walking.

I mean... what can you say to that?

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well it has been 2 days of 15+ degree weather starting to think about taking the bike out. Still way to much gravel on the roads.

Do you guys have a place to buy rims? I want to take my bike to the drag strip and want a secondary rim/tire. I can find places to buy everything except the rim.

19. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Look online for a forum on your particular bike. Most times there is a classified section and you can find rims pretty cheap from someone just clearing their garage. This works as long as you are looking for stock rims. If you are looking for Carbon Fiber rims, well good luck.

20. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I picked up a new ride last week. 1998 Interceptor, 71k miles, in great shape and bought from a meticulous owner. The first time I rode it I could tell an immediate difference between it and the ZZR 600 I sold last year. It’s so much more balanced and smooth, and it actually feels lighter even though it’s at least 75 lbs heavier. The gear-driven cams make an awesome sound too. I should have swapped a long time ago.

Attached Files: