Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Motorcycle Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Motorcycles.

Go.

2. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I currently own a Yamaha 1979 RD400 Daytona Special, a 1985 RZ350, 1991 Suzuki GSXR1100 and a 2002 Kawaski ZRX1200R. Hopefully I can actually get some time to rid the damn things in 2010.

3. Gangston Cashwell

Gangston Cashwell
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

When something is "tuned for better torque" does that just mean a different transmission gearing ratio or have there actually been engine changes made?

4. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are many factors, but changing your cam shaft and re-jetting your carburetor will change the type of torque you'll get.

Ripped off of nightrider.com...

"If you ride a heavy bike like a Road King or always ride two up, you should place more emphasis on having the engine produce good low end torque. If you have a light bike like an FXR or Dyna, and you want a lot of top end power, a mid-range power cam can be used. If you usually ride your bike in town, choose a camshaft for low end torque. If you have your choice between horsepower or torque for engine characteristics, the best decision is to go for the torque cam."

5. modsquad

modsquad
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

#5 modsquad, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  6. Pete Mitchell

Pete Mitchell
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

My first bike, 1996 Suzuki GSXR 750 bought back in July. Bike had 18k miles on it when I bought it and I put a little over 1k miles on it this summer. Not a great starter bike but I took it slow and learned to ride at a comfortable pace. I've been really happy with pretty much everything except the seat. I took the bike to NH for a weekend from NY and my ass would be killing me every 100ish miles and I'd have to stop and walk around for a few minutes.

Edit: '96 was the first year of the SRAD and the only year you'll see this bike with the gold/black color scheme

Pics. I had just taken the bike out of the garage and it was a very humid day hence all the condensation.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/575234194VNrPqj

7. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm looking for a recommendation for a "sporty" type of bike. It doesn't need to be a Ninja or anything like that, but I don't want a Harley type of bike.

Here's my issue. I am 6'3". But, I am all limbs, with a 6'7" wingspan. I'd like to have something comfortable for my frame, and that my 5'3" wife can climb on behind me. I don't really care about going all that fast, and the bike will only be used rarely in the summers, so I don't need anything fancy, new, or expensive. Anything made in the past 20 years is fine as far as I'm concerned, so if you think, "Hey, a 1993 xxxx would be perfect", I'd gladly look into it. I had a 1986 Ninja 600 about 10 years ago, but didn't ride it much as I got it right before I joined the Navy, so I turned around and sold it.

I really like the looks of the Kawasaki ZZR 600, but it seems like it might be a bit small, and I'd like to have something I could ride to school and back (110 miles round trip through curvy back roads), so comfort is probably the most important thing. I like the old school Honda Nighthawk 750, so that style of bike would be cool, too.

Any ideas?

8. modsquad

modsquad
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

91-93 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 or 1100
    early to late 90s Kawasaki ZX-11
    91-94 Suzuki GSX-1100G
    any BMW K75 or K100
    99-05 Triumph Thunderbird (900cc triple, not to be confused with current 1800cc twin T-bird in their lineup)
    late 80 Yamaha Fazer FZX750

Not exactly "sporty", but if you can find one restored and in very good condition (you don't mention a budget)....
    1976-1978 Holda Goldwing (1000cc). For a 110 mile daily round trip, the creme de la creme.... not too big as per later Wings, incredibly strong and smooth engine for long distance travel, very comfy for two up. A nice restored Wing would go for $5k-10k, depending on your timing more than anything. Gorgeous looks.

9. Woody

Woody
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I own a 1996 Kawasaki ZX-6r

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Attached Files:

11. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In this case it's in the camshafts. A less aggressive cam profile will typically give you better low-rpm torque but slightly lower top-end hp. They've just tuned the Ninja 650 for more commuter-oriented riding.

12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What the hell are Hyosungs and Kymcos? Are those Chinese or Korean knockoffs of the Japanese sport bikes? I've never even heard of them before today.

13. tempest

tempest
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Hyosung is a Korean company. I don't know anyone that actually has bought one. My understanding is their 650's motor is derived from the 650cc Suzuki twin from their Bandit, but that the overall build quality is lacking. Also, I understand that parts are somewhat difficult to get here.

As for Kymco, I haven't really heard anything about them, but suspect that they're similar.

14. p00g0blin

p00g0blin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Been lookin at this ride for a while now. Might pull the trigger next year.

2009 HD 1200 Nightster. Not too fond of Harley, but this one gives me a hard-on.

[​IMG]

15. Gangston Cashwell

Gangston Cashwell
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

HD depresses me. I went into the dealership with every intention of buying an 883 Sportster Custom before they ran out, but they managed to talk me out of the sale with gimmicky sales pitches and downright insulting add-ons. An $8000 bike somehow became $17000 over seven years using the numbers they wanted to make a sale on.

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love those. I'm worried it might be a little bit too much bike for me though. Sure, I'd be smart and take it slow, but those things are bullets. I'm going to look into a motorcycle safety/riding class (they are required here for getting a license) and start looking for deals. I'm in no rush to buy anything right now because riding season is pretty much over around here. I did find a '94 ZX11 with 18k for $3000 locally, seems like a decent deal.

17. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not a Harley hater, but I have to point out that they are the worst value in bikes. I work with a guy who is die-hard Harley. He bought his 4th new one last year and every accessory he has bought for it came with a bottle of Loctite. He has had to tighten numerous fasteners on his bike. For contrast, my Kawasaki is a 2005 with 17k miles. I've done absolutely nothing except change the oil, lube the chain, and put new tires on it. Nothing has broken, failed, or fallen off. It's a shame that Harley charges so much for their bikes but still has lots of little quality problems. Like you discovered, their business model depends on the mystique they create in their customers' minds and the accessories they sell. On top of that, if you bought an 883, you still wouldn't be accepted by the Harley crowd because they don't consider it a "real" bike.

18. modsquad

modsquad
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The '94 ZX-11 deal you mention is above decent, it's a very good one (if all other mechanicals were taken care of). The engines on those bikes are easily good for 120,000 miles and above. That said, I don't know your level of riding experience, but if you feel any bike is too much bike, then listen to your own intuition. Do take a safety/riding class (anyone, everyone) if you haven't and want to ride.

19. Loki

Loki
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm 6'5", 260 lbs and hopefully going to get back in the market for a bike this coming spring. I used to ride a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom with forward controls, and that was just barely big enough to be comfortable in terms of leg room. I'm a pretty big guy all around, so the bike looked a little top heavy with me on it. Do any other taller/bigger riders have insights into what cruisers are comfortable? I do have my eye on the newer V-Stars (1300 I think), but I admittedly haven't looked too hard yet.

20. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is it: http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/1437814513.html What do you think?

I think I'll be ok on it because I'll exercise common sense. I can't see myself trying wheelies or going a million miles an hour on it. It looks like it's a bigger bike that would be comfortable for my wife and I to go touring on back roads or that I can take to school and back, and something I can grow into pretty easily.