Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The most scared I've ever been...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Fawkes, May 4, 2010.

1. slothers

slothers
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well this is a timely thread.

The scariest moment of my life happened today. My brother didn't want to give back my sunglasses so I walked behind him and put him into a sleeper hold. We have wrestled and done this type of stuff in the past but this one was completely stupid.

He was on the verge of handing my sunglasses back, when his arm stopped moving and dropped to his side. Then I felt his body go completely limp as I slowly guided him to the floor. He was staring vacantly at the ceiling, not blinking and with his mouth slightly open. My first thoughts were that he was playing a joke on me, and then that subsequently changed into a, "HOLY FUCK, OH MY GOD, SHIT FUCK."

I can't remember if he was breathing softly or not at all, but he was blacked out for a solid 10 seconds. I was close to calling 911 but he started to come to right when I was dialing. Definitely the scariest moment of my life.

He says that he feels fine now, but I'm adament about him going to the ER just to make sure. Ideas anyone?

2. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was the time I was 10 and jumped off the 20 ft high dive.

I jumped off at the side of the board as I was too big of a pussy to go to the end. However, because of my anxiety, I overjumped, heading entirely too close to the side.

As I hit the water, everyone is looking at me and a girl is yelling.

I hit the water and felt intense burning. It was the side of the pool scraping up my chest and knees.

It doesn't get much closer than that.

3. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I know exactly what you mean. I once dived off the top board in the swimming pool for the first time, I kind of over dived and my legs went over my head. Landed on my back in the water, must have been 25ft high, thought I'd broken my back and I could barely swim to the side. Never felt pain like it.

4. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    I was on a mission on (what at the time was) one of the most dangerous road in Baghdad. It was a four lane divided highway with an overpass about every mile and houses on each side which were about an eighth of a mile from the road. We had three Hummers, and I was the gunner in the middle vehicle. We had just gotten rolling again after stopping and questioning an Iraqi who thought his car should be in our fucking convoy.
    After we got about a mile down the road I heard an explosion. I immediately ducked and got back up to see what it was. (I had my turret facing to the right of our convoy.) I looked at the rear vehicle and it hadn't been hit. I was about to turn and check the front vehicle when I heard the ever increasing 'whoosh' of an RPG behind me. I got this sinking feeling and remember thinking something along the lines of "Aw fuck, this could be it." Right then I caught a bright yellow streak out of the corner of my eye. It flew over the top of our rear hummer and exploded on the frontage road about 100 yards away. This all happened in about two seconds, but it felt more like 20.
    I had never seen an RPG in motion before this, so I always thought they would be like they were in movies, where they move kind of slow and you can usually see them coming. I was wrong. Those things are fucking fast. Like fast enough where I almost didn't even see the fucker.
    I spun my turret around to see where it came from, and hopefully send some lead towards the dipshit who shot at us, but there was nothing to be seen. They shot and split as usual.
    I had quit smoking a few months prior to that, but I had a few cigarettes down by the time we got back to safety.

Then there was this other time where two big ol' fat girls aggressively propositioned me for a threesome, but I'll save that story for another day.

5. untouchable

untouchable
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Back when roller coasters were the best thing in the world and all of my friends were just tall enough to ride them, I was never tall enough for the good ones. Believing that height requirements were bullshit rules that discriminated against the vertically challenged, and with the support of my dad, I decided to try to ride the coaster of all coasters on the Wildwood, NJ boardwalk, called the Great Nor'easter, even though I was 2 inches under the height requirement. When I got to the front of the line, the moron who checked to see if I was tall enough didn't notice I was standing on my tippy toes.

This wasn't your ordinary coaster. For its time it was the best in the area (located in the Jersey shore, that's not saying much). It was a suspended looping coaster that flipped you upside down twice. Flip flops were constantly falling off of peoples' feet and onto the pavement far below.

I get on the Great Nor'easter and quickly realize that I am skinny enough to slide through the middle of the strap-in vest of my seat. Everything is fine until the first inversion when I began to slide around in my seat. Panic ensued when I realized that nothing was keeping me from flying out of the seat except for the handles I was clinging onto for dear life. My scrawny arms were getting tired and I could barely maintain my grip on the handle. After about 5 minutes of panic the ride finally ended and I never spoke about it to anyone so that I would still be allowed to ride the best roller coasters. A year later and several inches taller, I went back on the same roller coaster and loved it.

In 2008 the coaster received a $1.2 million upgrade to improve the seats to better restrain the riders.

The second scariest moment of my life was freshman year of college. My roommate and best friend sold weed so he could smoke for free. Some dumb bitch got caught smoking and didn't hesitate to drop his name. We opened our door to two university police officers who were responding to a complaint about marijuana. Being dumbasses, we let them search the room and find our bong, multiple pieces, a grinder, two scales and a quarter ounce of weed. Getting handcuffed and detained at the police station for questioning was the most intimidating experience of my life. It's tough to attempt to convince a police officer that you had no idea your roommate was dealing when they find 2 scales, weed, and 8 pieces in your shared college dorm.

6. eric

eric
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think the most frightened I've ever been was while snorkeling in the Caymans last Christmas. I had been snorkeling in Eleuthera the year before and hadn't encountered anything more dangerous than scorpion fish so I was expecting more of the same. Turns out the Caymans have a lot of barracuda, which I encountered on just about every dive. Most were juveniles and only about 2 to 3 feet long, but on one dive I turned around to "check my six" only to find that a 5 to 6 foot long barracuda had swum over and was eyeballing us. He sway a slow circle around us, got bored and swam off. It was a bit nerve-racking, but I kept telling myself how rare barracuda attacks are on divers so I didn't panic.

The one that really scared the shit out of me though was a couple days later. It was well into the evening and I decided I wanted to go for one last swim after another glorious hot and sunny day. I donned my mask and flippers and swam out, relieved to not see any barracudas for once. About 4 minutes or so into my dive, I happened to look up and see something very BIG and grey slowly cruising a couple feet below the surface, about 30 feet away or so. It was far enough away that I couldn't clearly identify it but the general shape was unmistakable; shark, a big one.

I immediately flipped over onto my back so I could swim away while keeping it firmly in my sights. Its the closest I think I've ever been to full out panic. I could feel my heart pounding hard, I was borderline hyperventilating and the only thing that kept me from completely freaking out was recurring thought in my head: "Don't splash. Don't splash. Don't splash." I swam backwards until I could no longer see it, turned around and beelined towards shore. I got out, hands shaking. The wife took one look at me and asked: "What happened?" Guess I was pretty white. I didn't expect to react like that. I'm familiar with the various stats, the relative rarity of shark attacks, but when I saw that shark it all went out the window.

7. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Someone rep me if I need to stop posting in this thread.

See, I have a few significant factors in my life that, when they come together in the right order and under the right set of circumstances, create shit that scars me permanently (and sometimes physically). These factors include, but are not limited to severe medical issues, an abundance of strong and irrational fears, a family with adventurous tendencies, and the worst possible luck you can imagine. Here's another one:

We were on a 56 foot catamaran, again in the Virgin Islands, having just pulled into a bay that 1) we were not familiar with and 2) was not accurately detailed on the map. We happened to pull in right as the sun was setting, and holy hell was about to be unleashed on us by the lightening that was striking about a half mile away and closing.

Just because I am a strong swimmer, does not mean I particularly enjoy it. I am uber risk-averse, completely paranoid that Murphy's Law is going to fuck with me on any given day, and I have a tendency to fuck up things at the worst possible time. For these reasons, I was thusly and quite quickly volunteered against my will to jump into the water. See, we had come to the sobering realization that the catamaran was not maneuverable enough to set the anchor in the increasingly foul weather. After trying several options, it was decided that the best way to get the anchor set was to do so manually, by diving down and digging it into sand on the bottom of the 15-20 foot deep bay by hand. This option failed to take into adequate consideration, by my beliefs, that if the lightning struck the water near me I'd be quickly dead.

So I jumped in, with my cousin who was supposed to "stand watch" and went down to set the anchor. Took a few tries, but I finally got it dug in to my liking. That's when I looked up and noticed him swimming backward in a direction away from the boat, blowing bubbles, gesticulating wildly, and attempting to scream at the top of his lungs.

Since sharks happen to be one of my greatest fears, I promptly pissed myself underwater and got some air as I ran across the surface of the water after him in a similar state of panic.

Eventually, I realized that I was not in the mouth of a shark, and turned around to see what he was pointing at. It was a large (well, for me) barracuda, about 4-5 feet in length, directly under the back left pontoon of the boat. Which happened to be where the only ladder was to climb back aboard.

We initially waited to see if it would leave, but given the ever-approaching storm, one of us had to suck it up and go for it. After several moments of deliberation (which mainly consisted of him physically threatening me), it was decided that I was the more expendable of the two parties and would thusly be the one to chase the barracuda away and climb up the ladder.

I reared back, and fucking charged the barracuda. When I hit the ladder, instead of climbing it as is custom in most modern societies, I leapt, out of the water like a dolphin, missing the swim platform and landing on one of the higher steps.

And in an act of retribution that probably could have backfired in a terrible way, I sat there, blocking the entrance onto the boat from my cousin who had followed me and was now cursing-for-dear-life in the water.

(Apparently the commotion did scare the barracuda, because it left from under the boat shortly thereafter. And then the rain hit, and so did the lightning. We were safely anchored, and I never got my fucking parade.)

8. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

All I have to say is, if it weren't for Anti-lock brakes I would be dead 3 times already. I owe whoever invented that shit my life. One moment sticks out specifically. I'm with my three best friends and one of them needs a pound of weed. We go pick up the weed, and start heading back to his house. I'm on a three lane road with a speed limit of 45. I'm going 50, not wearing a seat belt. On the way back, some fag pulls out of a gas station without looking. Mind you, he doesn't even turn into the first lane, he turns into the second, taking up part of the right hand lane and sixty-sixty five percent of the middle lane which I am driving in. When I see him he's ten feet in front of me. I slam on my horn and he just freezes like a fag on the headlights. I slam on my brakes, while slamming on my horn, while turning to avoid him. All I can think is that if I fly through this windshield I hope I immediately die on impact. I just barely missed him with my front rear bumper.

I throw the car in park, get out and get in the backseat letting my friend drive. Everyone looks at me as I get out of the car. The fag just looks like a scared fag. Everyone else is just staring at me with their jaw dropped. Even though my blood was clean, the implications of having felony weight in the car didn't even hit me until hours later. Like I said, hopefully I would of just died on impact. There was a silver lining though. I've always worn my seat belt since then. Before that I just usually did.

9. ElNombre

ElNombre
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The scariest night I've ever had was a few summers ago. We were round a friend's house watching the game and having a few beers when one of my friend's starts telling everyone that he has heard about abandoned hospital in the nearby countryside - he was far from clear on the details. Of course, we had to drive out there and see for ourselves.

The place is about 5 miles or so from the nearest town but there are a few caravans in a nearby field (at the time we had no idea if they were occupied or not). The front gate is locked but we find an opening in a fence right beside it. We all crawl through and find ourselves confronted by about 11 or 12 run down buildings - windows smashed or boarded up, roofs semi-collapsed, plants completely overgrown.

One of my friends brought a wind-up torch and we decided to venture into one of the buildings - in a line of 6 or 7 with the torchman at the front. The windows of the buildings were almost entirely boarded up and it was getting quite late so it is completely pitch black inside (bar the 3ft of illumination the torch provides). Ok so by this point I'm on edge. Then we start to look into some of the side rooms leading off the main corridor. I kid you not, the first room we look in there are child's dolls all over the ground and an small overturned bed. This really starts to freak us out so we decide to back up and explore elsewhere.

In the meantime we all think it's hilarious to slyly drop back from the group and then jump out screaming "AHHHHHHH!". False alarms aside, we make our way along the main road to another of the buildings. But, as we do, one of my friends says he sees a light in the distance from round a bend in the road. Of course we call bullshit - we think he's just messing with us. As we make our way closer, we all begin realise he is right. Just as this happens I hear a rustling in the one of the bushes beside the road... then a voice, "STOP!". At this point I just completely lost it and started running. I managed to get to the gate where I was greeted (shoved) to the ground by a policeman. They eventually rounded us all up, took our names and sent us home.

But those twenty seconds, from the "STOP" to the gate, were absolutely the most terrifying twenty seconds of my life. Apparently the caravan residents had heard shouting and phoned the police (Why the fuck are they living next to this place anyway?). I later found out that the hospital was actually a care-home for people with mental disabilities and had been closed for twenty years but no-one had ever gotten round to demolishing it.

Moral of the story: never cry wolf when exploring an abandoned hospital late at night with your friends.