Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The More You Know...(Contains Important Beer Info)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, May 15, 2010.

1. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is pretty rich. Australian beer is fucking awful and lacks any real variety. If you point is purely on beer knowledge I would also contest it as there is no where near the micro brewery culture that exists in the States.

2. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ive found Aussies know their beer, just Fosters is a bag of ass.

If you want a good Canadian beer try Mill Street Tankhouse

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's worse than that! <a class="postlink" href="http://w...">http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm</a>

Yeah, I crack up at the "ultra" ads, too. But, it's a damn successful strategy. I don't think Miller Lite has changed since Bob Eucker and John Madden were doing TV ads in the 80's, but "Ultra" and now "Select 55" are marketing theirs.

Miller Lite
    ABV = 4.2%
    Calories = 96
    Carbs = 3.2g

MGD 64
    ABV = 2.8%
    Calories = 64
    Carbs = 2.4g

Michelob Ultra
    ABV = 4.1%
    Calories = 95
    Carbs = 2.6g

Budweiser Select 55
    ABV = 2.4%
    Calories = 55
    Carbs = 1.9g

I think Ultra is average tasting, and Bud Select 55 tastes like shit.

#43 Rush-O-Matic, May 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And to be fair, none of them actually drink Fosters. They all hate it, and laugh at the idea that it's 'what Australians drink.' It's relatively rare there, and exists mostly for export.

5. NeonWraith

NeonWraith
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

It's like Blue Nun or Black Tower.....none of the locals drink the swill, and in a lot of cases it's damn near impossible to *find* in the country it's allegedly from.

The whole 'Fosters is Australian' thing is crap anyway. The stuff sold in the UK is brewed about 10 minutes away from where I'm sat.

In Manchester.

6. Gainesvegas

Gainesvegas
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Non-pasteurized beer is a controlled measure by the brewer to ensure a quality product. They're good for about 90-110 days, must be kept cold always, limits the area in which it can be distributed, etc. These all sound like not so great things to a business, but in the case of start up breweries (think Sweetwater 5-10 years ago) it's worked wonders. They didn't grow too fast, built a core group of customers/fans, and since they weren't overproducing AND the beer was selling well, it started the vicious "Wow, that stuff must be good...it's always sold out" phenomenon that propels all great breweries into success. It keeps costs down (you know exactly how much you need to make, there isn't any wasted product just for the sake of selling it to a distributor and washing their hands of the situation) and interest up. All good things.

Boom. The bar I work at has a staggered system with our distributors to clean lines. We have 25 beers on tap, three distributors. Every two weeks when they deliver our keg order they clean their respective lines. We make sure our glycol machine (what keeps the insulated lines cold coming from the keg room to the actual tap) is running the way it should EVERY DAY. We don't have unnecessary length or coil in our lines. I forgot who said something about it being wrong to pour a beer and have the tap spout enter the actual beer while it's being poured, but that's just moronic. Are you implying the beer that was just poured literally three seconds prior is going to "infect" the spout, the very same spout that is currently pushing the same beer through it? Me thinks someone doesn't know how to pour beers, at least not in a busy bar.

For all of you that are freaking out about tap beer, you need to get over it. Bars are just like restaurants. Everyone hear has heard horror stories about wait/kitchen staff fucking with people's food, or fast food employees acting out horror scenes with your Quarter Pounder, etc and you all still frequent those places. Most of the world we live and work in is covered in microscopic fecal matter and bacteria anyway. GET THE FUCK OVER IT. When's the last time you cleaned your keyboard, yet you touch it every day. Spunk, germs, rotten food, sneezed on, spilled on, dust mites, etc and you'll gladly peck away on that for hours on end. Nerds.

If you think bottled beer is any better, you should check out where THAT'S coming from. I've seen reach-in coolers that have mold growing everywhere. Beer bins that have the slime from the labels settled in the bottom, just festering. Cleaning a tap line is WAY easier than taking out 250+ individual bottles from a reach in cooler and cleaning it. When it's 3AM and we're done serving all you fucks, the last thing we want to do after cleaning everything else in the bar is that. If it's empty, it's not a problem, but if you're frequenting bars with the same exact stock in it for multiple days....watch out.

Point being, if you're so OCD about cleanliness and protocol when it comes when beer preparation or consumption, stay the fuck at home and do it.

7. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I'm stretching my recollection here, because I didn't control inventory at the pub, but I'm fairly certain that (in Canada at least) restaurants have to buy their beer through the governmental liquor control board (this probably varies from province to province). I can remember certain times of the year my boss being royally pissed off about the lack of proper supply and the inability to go elsewhere. You can't have a ton of reps, like some people are talking about. Although this might vary for the microbreweries - I'll have to check.

Because of this, it isn't up to "the rep" to clean the lines as some have suggested. The "rep" in this case is essentially the government, and I'd rather drink tap beer at a hockey arena then have the government be responsible for cleaning my draft lines

8. WWSwagger

WWSwagger
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Like I said, I can only speak for my state. Certainly can't speak for the rules of the loft apartment over America.
    Also, to clarify I wasn't talking about people from individual breweries. I was talking about the people that sell the breweries products in each state. Budweiser doesn't sell direct to 'Joe's Corner Pub'. They sell to a distributor who then sells to the restaurant/bar etc.. Sorry if I made that confusing.

I'm interested in what Canada's system works like though. I imagine that even if the government is the distributor there are still individuals to drive sales. Someone has to pitch people on new products and then deliver those products. Anyone know any of the "day to day minutiae" regarding alcohol sales in Canadia?

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Fat Tire is pretty friggin' mediocre.

I've tried a LOT of beers. I love beers. I go to beer festivals and grade the ones I try. I brew my own beer. In a few weeks, when I fly to California to see a friend, I am taking a nearly 3 hour round trip JUST to visit the Bear Republic brewery because they make some of the most goddamn amazing beers ever in the history of mankind.

And every time I try Fat Tire, I just think "meh." It's not bad. It is most certainly very drinkable. But it's just "meh." And that's what I think most extremely popular beers are - people don't like giant flavors because giant flavors can be overwhelming and complicated. They want, "purchase beer. drink beer quickly. purchase another beer. become drunk."

That's fine, but getting drunk is a journey and, just like I'm going to take Route 1 down the cost of California next month instead of the interstate, I like to enjoy the ride.

Anyone who loves beer should pick up some Bear Republic. The Racer 5 IPA is one of the top beers of its type, and the Hop Rod Rye is a rye IPA and might be my favorite beer ever.

Also, some cretin from Canada stating that the only good American beers are Rolling Rock and MGD is about as credible as Sarah Palin's views on nuclear physics. If you haven't had any good American beers (and there are hundreds of truly great American beers), that's fine - but if you believe this entitles you to make wide-reaching judgments on all American brews being "lite" or sub-par, you should probably just kill yourself. kthx.