Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Binary, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No thread started for this show, so I thought I'd start one.

I've been half-heartedly watching it. I enjoy parts of it and the visual spectacle, but there are just too many segments that are predicated on the massive stupidity or ineptitude of everyone involved. It's not bad enough to keep me from watching, but it does keep me from being really invested in it.

Just in this season, an entire group of Mandalorians, some of the most legendary fighters in the universe,
    get their asses handed to them by some native water monster? They just keep shooting at this heavily armored thing, oblivious to the fact that everything is bouncing off? Rope themselves to it when it outweighs their entire group by an order of magnitude? You have FUCKING JET PACKS. Why don't you evacuate the at-risk people, like kids, who are going to get killed, and work on a strategy?

Or in the most recent episode, how has nobody thought,
    gosh, the most precious metal in the universe exists on this one planet and is about the only thing you can fight a Jedi with. But the planet got bombed so we'll all just assume it's irrecoverable. No point in sending a disposable droid there to check it out. Or casually using your fucking space helmet that's apparently capable of pressurization. Not one person - not the Empire who hate the Jedi, nor the Mandalorians whose entire history and identity is tied up there and live nearby - thought to go scope this place out?

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve finally watched the two episodes and…. you’ve just summed up why I wasn’t in any hurry to watch them.

Andor was great TV.

This isn’t.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I enjoy the Mandalorian, just for different reasons.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's funny, I watch it religiously and enjoy it while it's on. But after the show is done, I almost immediately forget about it and move onto other things.

So it's clearly entertaining, but not sticking with me.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep. It's like a well produced comic book... enjoy it in the moment, but forget about it once it's done.

Doesn't mean that it's not highly entertaining for the time that it's on.

6. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This season is just storytelling trash so far.

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel like there’s a lot of subtle set up for a couple kick ass episodes to come happening here. At least I hope.

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Keep hoping because holy shit what is happening to this show? I watch only out of some obligation to see how it ends, but I am not enjoying myself at all. We're getting to the point where your really should quit after S2. Nothing that follows, matters.

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't started season 3 yet. But i keep hearing it isn't good.

Anyone know wtf happened?

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni started thinking they're were so dialed in that they could just do anything. So, the stories themselves and attention to being authentic and gritty to the Star Wars universe has suffered. It's gotten kind of goofy. But, I'm still enjoying it for the fluff it is. I mean in the last episode,
    Jack Black and Lizzo are a couple? And, I kept waiting for Christopher Lloyd to include "Great Scott!" something like "1.21 gigawatts" in his technical explanations. lol

11. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank you for making my point for me.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I don’t think it’s as good as it was, but I also wonder how much of that initial goodness was due to it being so new and different. Now that we’re used to that, the bar that we measure against has been raised and we’re a bit jaded?

While it’s not as good as it was, I’m still enjoying it for what it is.