Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Man-Cave Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crown Royal, Aug 31, 2011.

1. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Same for me, minus any guns or motorcycles (yet). I live alone in a 1360 sq. ft. house. When bringing a friend by for the first time a couple of weeks ago, we entered from the garage for him to see (more or less) this scene I've posted before:
    [​IMG]
    "Ah, the man cave," he said. My first thought was, I wish. That's most of the first floor, right there: Living room/dining room/man cave. Instead of a closet on the first floor, I wish there were a staircase leading down to a 700 sq. ft. basement.

But again, I shouldn't complain. The whole house to myself, one bedroom just for junk, a master bedroom for when I feel like sleeping on my soft queen-size, a second bedroom for when I feel like sleeping on my firmer twin bed, I can walk around the whole place naked... Life could be worse.

2. Sammerton

Sammerton
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Um, that just looks like you posted a picture of a normal living room/dining room of a dude who lives by himself. Nothing crappy, nothing amazing, just...normal. Down to the fucking dog food on the floor.

Cool beans.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What the fuck are you talking about? The tissues should be by the computer for a single man.

4. Sammerton

Sammerton
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Completely missed that. I use my Macbook mostly, so I jack off on my couch more frequently than at a desk. Thus, the tissue placement looked normal.

My girlfriend HATES when I jack off while sitting on the couch. Says it distracting when she's trying to watch Toddlers and Tiaras.

5. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Your TV is sitting way to high man. I like the idea of saving money by using an old cabinet but that shit is just going to wreck your neck. And 2 boxes of tissues? Is that because with all the neck cramping you have to change your viewing angle fairly regularly and don’t know where you will ”end” up?

Also not a man cave. It's a room in the house. To be a cave proper it needs to be in a basement or separate from the house, you can't for instance turn an unwanted bedroom into a cave.

6. Sammerton

Sammerton
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

What the fuck kind of logic is this?

"You're not listening to me man. Yeah, I see your 70in LCD mounted between stuffed polar bears holding shotguns. I respect your couch game, these vintage motherfuckers are comfortable. Hell, the full length bar with nude art students as drink wenches is a nice touch, too. But this is your spare upstairs bedroom, so quit calling it a man cave. Gotta be in a basement, dude. Check out the spot in my mom's basement I set up, now THAT is a man cave."

7. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The kind that says putting a spoiler on a piece of shit doesn't make it a sports car.

Attached Files:

8. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in the middle of finishing my basement.

I guess you could call it a "man-cave", but in all honesty, it's really just a place for stuff to go that I don't want in my living room:

Air hockey table. Pinball machine. 60" flat screen. Weight bench.

It's basically going to be where the kids can run around like crazy when it's -2 out, where we can have people over to watch football on the big ass TV, that kind of thing. The other side of our basement will be the real "man-cave" side, where I'll have my ShopSmith, band saw, belt sander and all my other tools. Will park my motorcycle there for the winter, too.

9. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

1) As I said in the earlier thread, the presence of the Kleenex box is completely incidental, seriously. I don't do my jacking off in the living room (much).

2) When I'm at the far end of the couch, the TV's altitude works fine for me.

3) Um, yeah, that's dog food all over the floor... (here kitty, that's a good kitty, go "woof" for TIB so they don't revoke my man card, that's a good kitty... C'mon, woof dammit!)

10. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Off topic, but I gotta.

#50 Elset, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I sat in on a sales-pitch lunch for a commercial application of this system last week: http://control4.com/residential/

It's more of an entry-level home automation system, and from what I saw, it's pretty damn cool. I would definitely like to have something like this if I owned a house. Turn on music, home theater, adjust the thermostat, unlock the front door, and start the jacuzzi using a smartphone while sitting in the kitchen? Pretty cool.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I hate the term but the basic idea of having a room to yourself isn't a bad idea. Honestly outside of maybe wanting to have input on the kitchen and bathroom (separate bathrooms being ideal), I always saw interior decorating as a female thing. My dad really gave a fuckless about what colors to paint spare rooms and how to dress a guest room bed. He let my mom do what ever she wanted with most every room in the house. When a spare closet wasn't enough for our gun collection he made a room out of part of the unfinished part of our basement. It isn't gun/hunting themed, it was functional for his hobbies, where else is a man to crank out thousands of precision rounds of ammunition?

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I hear a lot of guys do it in front of their computer.

14. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This. I have a man cave, it's painted Falcons red and I have my Fathead adorning the wall. It also houses my 56 inch 3DTV and my surround sound. I just put a mini fridge in this weekend past. Me and the fiancee both have things we like that the other despises. She doesn't like video games and can't understand the allure, I feel the same way about the paranormal and the vast amount of TV shows that are dedicated to the art of hunting said paranormals. For us it works out well, that way when her programs come on, she can watch them comfortably in our living room and when I get an urge to play PS3 or watch sports, she doesn't have to mindlessly stare at the screen or find something else to do.

15. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The best "getaway" room is an outbuilding. Make those you're avoiding cross 30ft of outdoor space in New England in February and you'll rarely be bothered.

Keep some tools laying around for supposed "projects" and set it up so you use a wood stove for heat you'll get hours of peaceful bliss.

My grandfather had the ultimate pimp hand with this. When he passed away there were entire brick barns that my grandmother had NEVER been in on their property, including one with a 1/4 sized Irish pub/billiards room.

"This was your grandfathers space" was her only remark.

16. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have recently moved into an apartment with The Girlfriend, and we have a so called "man cave". It's still a pretty big work in progress right now and is really just the second bedroom with a sofa, TV and my PC/game consoles.

This is the west wall with my desk and the TV, PC, game consoles, cable box, etc.
    [​IMG]

Sofa is on the east wall with a love seat on the south wall, with a decent little coffee table in the middle. There are also a couple bookshelves on the north wall not pictured.
    [​IMG]
    My next purchase will be a full surround sound system (not one of those little "home theater in a box" setups with 5 speakers plugged into a BD player) and we just got a mini fridge to put in the corner.

This is the other part of the room that is a work in progress as the walls are still bare and boring, but I'm more of a nerd/music fan than a sports fan. I have some Star Wars posters to hang on the wall along with some other nerdy things, along with some music posters and all of my limited edition posters from the Phish shows I've been to framed with the corresponding tickets.