Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Man-Cave Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crown Royal, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck all this reading bullshit (granted, I do like to read, just not when I really want to relax). This is my ideal style of man-cave. Change Pirates to the Vikings, put in a bigger pool table, and we have a deal

[​IMG]

2. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This reminds me of the steadily expanding imaginary home I would own if I were ever a ridiculous billionaire. Maybe a thread on that will come up. In the meantime...

I am a habitual media multitasker. I like to play computer games, chat online, and watch TV at the same time. So my dream personal space needs at least three monitors for all those things. A big main one for TV and two smaller ones for the computer. However, console games need to be able to switch from a main TV to a side TV in case i decide to watch TV while playing something on my PS3. So the other huge part of this is the various switches and remote controls necessary to do this without having to get up and futz around for half an hour.

Comfortable couch for watching or lounging and a recliner with simple things like cupholders and endtables. Definitely need a mini-fridge for drinks and possible snacks. I don't drink much and I'm not a big sports buff so those aren't really a big deal for me. However, the other thing I really need is a space off to the side with a desk and whiteboard for helping to plan and diagram my various creative pursuits. Along with a table for card/board gaming.

So, pretty simple and basic overall, but it would be very relaxing to me someday. I have a pretty decent setup in my livingroom right now, but the problem is that it's a communal space so it's hard to do anything for any amount of time without some kind of interruption which is, I think, the real appeal of a setup like this. My wife has her sewing area in our bedroom for a similar reason.

3. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

When it comes time for me to buy a house, special preference will be given to a place with a somewhat unfinished basement. Too many times, I hang out at friends' houses and they have the finished basement with the nice carpet, brand new furniture, and it's always was too bright. I always feel like I'm going to cause some sort of permanent, expensive damage. No, thank you. Give me a dingy space where I can throw down some cheap old couches and an area rug on the bare floor. I still want the nice TV, pool table, big beer fridge, etc. but I want a space where I can slosh around beers with the guys while we watch the game and it's no big deal if someone drops some salsa on the furniture. The basement from "That 70s Show" is a great example of what I like.

More this:
    [​IMG]

Less this:
    [​IMG]

4. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I went the garage modification route to save space in my house. I have since added a full size fridge and a cheap outdoor type table and chairs for cards and getting drunk at. The table sits where the bike is now. I've got some space behind me where I stand in the picture, thats where I moved the bike to.

Attached Files:

5. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

... Does the hunting camp count?

[​IMG]

This was last year while we were still building it, but its almost completely done now. All we really need to do is the outdoor kitchen, and we'll be set. Its a fun place to sit and get drunk, if nothing else, which I guess is the whole purpose of a "mancave".

6. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, am I the only one who thinks that "Man Cave" sounds like the name of a gay-bar, or a euphemism for a male anus?

Focus: I already have a place where my friends and I hang out, it's my shop, where I do all of my work.
    The problem: It floods when it rains, it's not air-conditioned, and it isn't completely sealed off from the elements.
    This is what I already have:
    -An air compressor
    -An overhead hoist on a track for engine swaps.
    -welder/torch (arc welder, and oxy/acetylene torch)
    -Drill press
    -Hydraulic press

Stuff I still need to get:
    -four post lift
    -An air-conditioned office/clean room for building engines/transmissions/carburetors/diesel injection pumps/etc.
    -a state-of-the-art alarm and surveilance system to keep the crackheads out.
    -MIG and TIG welder

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

He wants the souped up entertainment center. I want the extravagant booze. Together, we shall create a man cave.

8. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My entire house is a fucking man cave. I have a fuck you TV, guns and military bullshit everywhere, fast cars, motorcycles, and other cool shit. I rule.

9. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would take some new photos of my cave but its full of shit due to the master bedroom reno, these were from about 18 months ago, the first day it went live. It has become much better since, and the plant died.

My cave has:

2 + 3 seater leather lounges
    Full HD projector with 120" fixed screen
    5.1 wired surround sound (big speakers and 160w powered amp)
    PS3
    Custom stainless beer fridge with 2 taps (can hold 3x20l kegs.)
    Small library 3-400 books and 50-60 DVDs + Blurays
    6-7 Swords some wall mounted (all quality replicas, not shitty stainless) 50% of them sharp.
    Ethanol burning fireplace.
    Walls are painted in a dark charcoal and the floors are polished 90 yearold hardwood.

Do I win?

Attached Files:

10. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Once you put some shit on your walls, you might. Right now it looks kind of sterile

11. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is shit on the wall now, like I said the shots were taken when the paint was still almost wet. If this thread is still live in 2 weeks I will show off my baby in all her glory.

12. Chirpy

Chirpy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Exactly. Be a man. Have old scotch, a keg, and a weathered leather chair that smells like cigars in any room in the house. You have a penis. Act like it.

As I said in rep, any "man" who buys into and accepts the term "man-cave" is beyond help and has already bought into the emasculation of our society. Sad. But that's an idea for another thread.

Carry on.

13. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This is nice in theory, but women always try to fuck it up. In my old house, my ex was constantly trying to "beautify" the place with Pier 1 bullshit. When I took a dump in her new Ficus tree, she got the hint.

14. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What a crock of shit.

If a bloke has the ability to build it. In my case it was a derelict shed that I renovated. And the resources to make it awesome who the fuck wouldn't want his own bolt hole? A wankstain hipster, thats who. And having a whole house that smelled like cigars, you can keep that. In the cave though, mixed with the aroma of stale beer. Heaven.

A man cave is a place that can be kitted out in a way that would be fucking tacky in the house. Not to mention having an outbuilding allows you to make a shit ton of noise at 2am on a Tuesday night without wrecking you’re SO’s night’s sleep and therefore reliving potential relationship stress. If it becomes trashed after a party, I can just lock the door and deal with it 2 days later and the house is left unfucked.

When people stay over I can set up a double bed in the cave and they have a private apartment.

I find the term “man cave” a bit shite. But it fits.

15. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eh, sometimes people need room to unwind. Me and my wife both have a need for downtime from other people and sometimes from each other so having a place to go that is not a shared area would be great. Right now we live in an apartment and have a roommate so that's severely lacking. I would love to have a room to make into a dedicated relaxation area that I could feel comfortable about not being interrupted in. Maybe the term is a little silly, but it just boils down to having some personal space vs. communal space and if you have the money and resources to do it, who wouldn't want some dedicated personal space?

Granted, I don't really drink or smoke cigars so I suppose there could be some kind of pointless debate on whether or not my theoretical space qualifies as a man-cave or not, but I also don't really measure my masculinity based on alcohol and tobacco so i guess for me acting like I have a penis is refusing to ingest crap I don't like for the sake of appearances.

The underlying assumption of some replies seem to be that a room like this is a refuge from a female dominated home. And if that's true for some of you than that seems like a kind of troubling underlying situation. For me it's simply the idea of having a place to go for the times I'd like some solitutde to recharge.

16. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've already started my sports memorabilia collection that will be on my basement walls when I have one. Lots of signed Tigers stuff from '84 (even though I wasn't even alive), Isiah Thomas signed basketball (hardly alive), signed baseball bats and the like.

Entertainment-wise I'm going to have all my video games (Atari-360 all major platforms except Sony) hooked up to a stellar TV probably.

17. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This would be kind of odd in a bathroom.

18. tempest

tempest
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This what you're looking for?

<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/lift/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/lift/</a>

19. jordan_paul

jordan_paul
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This really isn't so much for the "man cave," but in my house I want to have built in speakers in every possible room, and have a central location to play music, as well as being able to turn off certain rooms when they arent in use.

A TV in the bathroom, facing directly towards the shitter. I've wanted this for years, but my parents would never let me do it. I don't even give a fuck about a mirror, that'll be coming down if it's in the way of mounting the TV.

A dedicated movie viewing room, complete with a killer sectional, a top notch TV with a remote controlled drop down projector screen and a decent sound system. The room will be soundproofed as well.

I've got my shop, so I can share the house with the rest of my family if I had these things.

20. M4A1

M4A1
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fuck that. I am HUGE sports fan. BabyMomma ain't. I want a place where I can hang my sports stuff, drink my beer and yell at the 55in TV without being obnoxious. I can have my shitty ass floral print but oh so comfortable and broken in recliner that I've had for years that won't fuck up the house. This space will be mine, and mine only. If your definition of a man is the above, then you've obviously got daddy issues. My manhood isn't defined by cigars, scotch and leather chairs. It's defined by the amount of money I make, guns that I have, and the kind of truck that I drive. Thank you very much.