Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Lottery Fucked My Life Up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Some discussion in the WDT, but now the US Lottery is at $1.6 Billion. After taxes, if taking the lump sum, that comes out to around $950 Million.

I stated in the WDT that I would try my best to claim it anonymously and just stash it away without any big purchases for a long time. I also wouldnt tell any family members (aside from my wife), probably ever, how much I actually had. They would get some in a trust that disperses through some trust management function, but would never get a cash or a check or anything directly. My family has a horrible time keeping secrets. You know that scene in Goodfellas where Robert DeNiro flips out when his crew starts purchasing shit after the Lufthansa Heist? Yeah, that would probably be my reaction.

Focus: What would you do if you won?

Alt. Focus: If you were to make one insane, ostentatious purchase with the money to get it out of your system, what would it be?

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

E06E73A3-9C36-49D8-94C7-92CEBD9921DF.jpeg I’m in between. One part would love to start a reality show and become Kim Kardashian’s ass famous. The other part of me would want a low key but still ostentatious life that fabulous wealth provides.

I think my house would be the biggest splurge. Built on my grandparents farm with 950 million I might do a 100-200 million dollar house. My dream house would be in the Tudor revival style, like Winged Foot or Fiddlers Elbow golf course clubhouse. Another post modern beach house in Florida in the 20 million dollar range.

[​IMG]

3. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hell, with that amount of money, why not just BECOME a congressman and submit your own legislation? Plus, if you win, you can increase your wealth from all of those sweet dark-money kickbacks.

Focus: I'm with Juice; I'm immediately calling a national law firm that I have no connection to whatsoever and setting up multiple blind trusts to be able to claim the money anonymously then doing my best to go about my "normal" life for as long as I could trying to keep the actual wealth a secret. Eventually it would probably get figured out as I know we would like to move into a different house with a lot more land and space and it would be hard to explain the sudden ability to afford that type of space.

Alt. Focus: I'd probably try and finance a once in a lifetime "experience" as opposed to anything materialistic, simply because that would be easier to hide with some proper planning. There are probably a dozen or so breweries scattered all over the US that are on my personal bucket list to visit, so I'd charter a private jet and a personal driver and just make a huge loop around the country going to each spot and just getting loaded.

4. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I agree, I'd keep it as low key as possible for my family's safety but also because I have a feeling there'd be a sudden outpouring of sob stories from friends and family who've spent their lives making stupid decisions. Some I haven't ever met yet.

My main plan has always been to go to my cousin who owns the family farm, check book in hand, and tell him to name his price. Or make him an offer he can't refuse. Then build the property back up to a working farm. Oh, and buy a new Ford F-150.

Alt Focus: Something like this in the Adirondacks:

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 11.41.47 AM.png

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One way I’d avoid the leeches is to give at least a third of that away to family and friends, then move somewhere where that kind of wealth is nothing remarkable. For me that would only entail a 45 minute move (e.g. Alpine NJ or Mendham). I’m sure I’d be fine with only 600M in my pocket.

But I’ll never be in this situation. The higher the jackpot goes the less likely I am to play it. I only occasionally buy lottery tickets, and usually to the games where the jackpot doesn’t go above 10M, and even then I won’t buy them if the jackpot even approaches that.

I’ve got a smaller home in a garden variety suburbs and I like my life just fine the way it is. Of course expensive cars and huge homes are nice- I just want enough to retire and live the life I have, albeit with more time to golf, fish and travel, etc. The idea of winning huge sums that would completely upend my life is not appealing to me.

6. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My crazy uncle is in the hospital with a surprise brain tumor, which is probably a metastasis of the kidney cancer they thought he got rid of 3 1/2 years ago. So naturally he was pissed that they wouldn’t let him leave the hospital before his massive brain surgery on Friday and enlisted me to buy him $120 worth of lottery tickets. He must be feeling lucky?

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Personally, I'd go into full-on Tony Stark Wannabe. I'd build myself a nice, very comfortable log cabin in the side of a mountain (think Timber Kings) overlooking a lake/ocean, and it would include a huge technical workshop built out of sight... into the base of the mountain, etc. The main house would be along the lines of Rich Fishing Lodge, but inside there'd be access to the main shop.

That hidden shop would have a computer/electronic lab, woodworking shop, 5-axis machine shop, and all sorts of other toys so that I could fuck around and build whatever the hell I wanted, as shitty as I wanted it to be. The floor of the main 3-car garage (one of the bays) would be an elevator down to access the shops.

I'd have all the toys of Tony Stark with none of the talent.

I'd have a nice white water jet boat to let me go fishing at will.

I would think that I'd split my time between doing stuff domestically and travelling abroad.

I'd also fund a racing team for all my racing friends... give them a paid year or two off to go and have fun and race.

I'd also set up a local (BC-based) tech incubator and work on making the world better through technology... hardware and software.

9. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Quite disappointed. Not only was it sold in SC, they're saying it was sold at a gas station within 10 miles of me. At least I won't have to wait in line 20 minutes to grab some beer this Friday.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I'm still pretty much convinced that the lottery is nothing more then an elaborate trap to catch time travelers. Or wizards.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nah... it's just a state sponsored tax on people who don't know math.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

ftfy